8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

HOW to replace turn signal lights..

27K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Rockawearbadboy 
#1 ·
so i just bought replacements for my turn signal lights..im trying to do it, but do i have to take off the bumper to do it? there isn't enough room for me to squeeze in there..i searched around and didn't see anything about it, so if someone could let me know that'd be great!!

thank you!

#6 ·
ok..now i got a problem..so i just installed the LED turn signal lights..and they dont work..the dash doesn't even show the green arrows blinking when i turn the blinkers on..i tried putting some non-led bulbs in and they dont work either..once again...the dashboard doesn't even show the green arrows flashing for either sides..wtf

#8 ·
everything is plugged in cause i didn't actually put the bulb back in the housing..i kept it out to make sure before i put it back in..so when it didn't work i put the old bulb back in, and still wouldn't flash..but when i turned the lights on, it'd turn on (the old bulb but not the led) but then i put the led back in and tried to turned the lights on to see if it'd turn on...i heard something (im assuming i blew a fuse) cause then when i put the old bulb back in, it wouldn't light up..what should i do? cause even with the fuse not blown, it didn't blink, nor did it blink on the dashboard...

#9 ·
Change the fuses, put the old bulbs back in, return the LED ones.

You need a load resistor too (usually with Led turn bulbs)

where did you get them? Proper bulb?

The Turn signal acts as your parking light as well. That's why you got the bulb working and your signal not. Two power one ground.

This thread explains the wiring...

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/exterior-style-mods/70037-sidemarker-diy.html

#11 ·
ok..so im going to put the old bulbs back in..but now my questions is..where is the spare fuse that i can use to replace the blown fuse, and which fuse do i replace? is it just one fuse? cause the rear lights dont work, and the turn signals dont work outside or on the dashboard

i'd greatly appreciate any help

thank you!

#13 ·
thanks..and i already looked there..didn't see anything about turn signal lights or anything related to that term..what name is it under on that list?

also..then every fuse in the engine bay is a spare? how do i distinguish spare from a used fuse? or is it a spare when its listed as "not used" on that list?

i know im asking a lot of question, but pardon, i just want to make sure i do it correctly the first time around

thank you again!!

#14 ·
Questions are all good.

On the lid of the fuse box, you will see spares and a fuse tool.

On the lid too, you will see the list of fuses for the box in the engine bay, then the fuse box in the cabin, there is a list of all the fuses.

Check the small lights exterior and main. If your signals aren't working , then it's a bit more difficult. I think the flasher relay is in the MICU. Never tried changing that, so I don't know more than the location of that unit.

#18 ·
Hey, if you're still interested in using the LED bulbs, I can help you out cuz I am using them. The reason they blow the fuse is because of the way the two inputs and the ground are set up on the turn signal/parking light plug. Basically, the LED dual intensity bulbs have two inputs at the positive end and the ground at the other end. The way the honda harness is set up, basically either the parking light will short out or the turn signal will short out if left unchanged. I switched two prongs on the honda plug so that one side of the plug was for parking lights and the other had ground and turn signal. Then just bend the wires on the LED bulb to match up those inputs/ground and you will have them working. They will however blink twice as fast unless you wire in a load resistor. This does not bother me however. I don't know if that is confusing or if you even want to go that route anymore...haha, but there it is. Let me know if you have questions.

#20 · (Edited)
Can you go more into detail about this?

I'm converting my front and rear turn signals to LED,i already installed rears and hooked them up with resistors (don't like the fast clicking,drives me nuts) but i haven't hooked up the front yet.

I thought all the 3157 LED bulbs were wired the same as the stock front turn signal bulbs.

#21 ·
damn, I should have read through these posts before buying the LED turn signal lights. I have not installed them but I am not sure I want to after reading this above. Where can I find load resistors and how will I be able to do it? I don't to go through the hassel of trying to get my money back. Please advise

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.