8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

My HIDS Installed - With Ballast Pics

8K views 63 replies 25 participants last post by  XenonDepot 
#1 ·
First off a big thanks to Steve at HID Kits | XenonDepot HID conversion Kits | Xtreme Xenon Light Kit| Projector Halo Headlamp | LED Tail Lights | Xenon Bulbs and ballasts

These are the Volt 6000K kit!

This took about 2 hours to install fighting with the rain and removing tire. We removed the battery and coolant container.
Here are pictures of where we mounted the ballasts which alot of people have been asking to see so I am trying to help as much with it:

This is on the passenger side: After you pop the hood you will see the flat spot this is mounted in.

Different angle we used double sided 3M tape

This is the drivers side with the battery removed.

Different angle on drivers side:

Yes the battery tray was cleaned afterwards:

Drivers side with battery re installed

Passenger side with everything hooked up and tire back on

Attempt at showing stock vs HID which didn't quiet turn out during the daylight hours LOL but oh well, drivers side is HID

Close up of the HID

Angled front shot, hard to tell how they look. Camera used Canon S2IS, I will gladly take advice on how to photograph headlights.......Please

There is not as much glare as this image portrays!

Directly in front shot, hard to tell how they look. Camera used Canon S2IS, I will gladly take advice on how to photograph headlights.......Please

Close up standing about 7FT from car

Standing at drivers side door

Same as above but a bit clearer

When it warms up I will take a few more and whore my HIDS some more. I will also try and get a cut off shot tomorrow night.

Ask anything about the install and I will do my best to answer and a little about my mechanical skills, well they are null and void had brother in law helping me but it was a team effort as neither of us have ever done something like this and we burned nothing down.

He will be ordering some from Steve soon for his 2004 GTO and my wife will be as well for a 2003 Solara.

Thanks and props to Steve for quick shipping and answering all of my newbie questions!

PS If you are thinking or question the HIDS just do it! I am glad I did

See less See more
#9 ·
Nice Install

Two points:

1. The double-sided tape you used is not designed for outdoor use, and will fail shortly.

2. It is best to mount physically mount the ballast securely to the cars chassis to prevent ground loop noise in your electrical system. Ground loop noise will manifest itself as a whining noise on the radio or by electrical system "gremlins".

I do not recommend mounting HID ballasts with wither 2-sided tape or zip-ties. The proper method is to securely mount them with a screw or bolt. Any other method will cause problems down the road, usually at night in a rain or snow storm, or some other crappy situation.

#10 ·
Two points:

1. The double-sided tape you used is not designed for outdoor use, and will fail shortly.

2. It is best to mount physically mount the ballast securely to the cars chassis to prevent ground loop noise in your electrical system. Ground loop noise will manifest itself as a whining noise on the radio or by electrical system "gremlins".

I do not recommend mounting HID ballasts with wither 2-sided tape or zip-ties. The proper method is to securely mount them with a screw or bolt. Any other method will cause problems down the road, usually at night in a rain or snow storm, or some other crappy situation.
Thanks for the tip we will look into a more secure mount,

#11 ·
Hi,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this review. I am glad to see that you are happy with the product and successfully managed to install the kit with "null and void" technical skills.

I would suggest using double sided tape to secure the ballasts. I wouldn't count just on double sided tape (regardless of the type) to hold the ballasts.

Enjoy!

Steve

#19 ·
There are 2 reasons not to use 2 sided tape of any kind.

1. EMI noise can result from inductance ground loops, and then again it might not, but having a good mounting will end the question.

2. Your engine bay is a harsh environment. I can guarantee that over time and regardless of the type of mounting tape you use, the ballast will come loose.

So save yourself the hassle, and bolt your ballasts to the chassis.

This is a case of pay me now or pay me later.

#24 ·
Excellent! Thanks for the info. The only discrepancy with number 2 that I have is that the engine bay can't be any more harsh than the outside of the car... and my OEM lip kit is mounted with the same tape... This tape is RIDICULOUS!! Additionally, I too used zip ties for extra security. I doubt I'd be able to take these off if I wanted to. I just can't believe that these would fall off. I think my lip kit would have more of a chance of falling off... But I do see what you mean with grounding... I'm just hoping I'll be OK in that regard.

#23 ·
Sorry if you already ordered, however I did some searching, for the 119.99 volt HIDs, if you use the promo code : DA
then you get 25 bucks off, so it will be 94.99....
the promo code will appear as a honda accord promo or something regardless your getting 25 bucks off.

#28 ·
Your welcome and I left them in the same place but shaved the paint off abd used self tapping screws to get a more secure mount, thank goodness for right angled drill adapters!!!

Thanks to everyone else here and as for the coupon code to work I will wait and see if someone else tries it.

Still debating on how to do the fogs??? Open to suggestions...May go Yellow on them.......!

#37 ·
if 3M double sided tape fails..then why would they advertise it as "outdoor/indoor" use that has the ability to hold 5lbs...box shows them mounting something to a brick wall, if that doesn't stick for a long time, I don't know what will besides a screw or bolt, neither of which I have.

#41 ·
some people here just dont know what kind to buy.

if people would get the 3m kind that is thick and has the red peal off backing it wouldnt come off.

I have some of it, i have used it for years on my motorcycles to hold on custom made liscense plate brakets. Trust me, you about have to break your wrist to pull that stuff of once it sets.

i used it on my ballasts three weeks agao and all is good. i tried to pull them off and they wouldnt budge.

#38 ·
The fine print on double sided tape is that surface preparation is key.

Cleaning and roughing both surfaces that will be mated with the tape is critical. Having enough mating surface area as well as the dimension in which items are attached is also critical. Items that are laid on top of each other will have a far more reliable bond then items that are hung on a mounting surface.

Regardless, take a tip from the automobile manufacturers. They do not bond active components to the chassis, they are fastened with bolts or rivets. I tend to believe that they may have a good reason for that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.