8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Should I get HID low beams AND fogs?

6K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  missile_man 
#1 ·
#12 ·
i think the hid/hid set up is a bit much...
IMO, i think the hid with yellow bulbs and yellow overlay looks clean.
it adds definition to the front end of your car, and at night, its pretty sweet.
ive got 10k HID'S, yellow highbeams, and yellow fogs with yellow film over.

#14 ·
i have the same setup. fogs in general make a huge difference than just low beam hids. fogs cover all the road before the low beams start and the sides alllll the way out.

i tried hids fogs 3k with the yellow overlays but they melted off because the hids gets the housing so hot.

the 3k fogs dont look too yellow when your looking right at them but it does on the ground big time. and when you first turn on the 3k hids there like a green and slowly heat up and go to the yellow, i love it.

i love the setup and i wouldnt change it.

oh and i dealt with this guy on ebay called supervtec and i used to buy the mcculloch hids off of him for hundreds but now he has cheaper ones that are like 75 dollars shipped with the same warranty, 1 year no questions asked replacement. ive had them for about a year and still no problems.

#15 ·
3k fogs will cut through fog and rain way better than any other temp. I have my fogs aimed a few inches lower than my low beams. If its really that bad I turn off my low beams and just use the fogs to cut thru heavy fog areas.

#17 ·
6000K HELLA ballasts & wiring w/ XenonVisions bulbs
headlights & foglights. i cannot complain & its been well over a year since install.

wish i had the funds for a real retro like jrotax101 (Robert)
SC430 projectors & some custom fabbing here & there. soooooooooooooooooo dope!

#24 ·
here is the place to buy hid's....solo8thgensi bought his from here...they look great...im awaiting mine in the mail...and u wont have to spend 120 per set....reccomend the 49.95 dollar sets...unless u want slim balast...i ordered 6000k for low beams...and 3000k for fogs and have passwordjdm amber fogs

#26 · (Edited)
LOL James forgot the link whoops

The site he's referencing is ddmlights.com. & my kits aren't from there but my roomies h11 heads & h11 fogs for his 08 accord coupe v6 are... 5000k white & look great. Cheap & lifetime warranty too.

If u don't have the dough for a proper bAllin retrofit, I recommend this site as a cheaper but quality alternative. :woowoo:

#28 ·
35 unless u want the slightest chance of melting the stock wiring. :eek:hnoes:
Not every1 does but there has been stories; not a risk i'm willing to take nor one I'd recommend some1 else to be honest

#29 ·
35 it is, I'm looking on the site right now:

DDM 35 and 55 Watt Slim Ballast HID Kit

Full Kit Includes:
- DDM Digital Slim ballast (2)
- HID Bulbs (2)
- Life-Time Warranty
(BOW3 and HID HARNESS sold separately)

I don't need either of those that are sold separately do I?

#31 · (Edited)
I know a lot of people have asked this, but never got a clear answer...

I currently have 35W HID 4500K Fog Lights and are looking to HID my low beams (stock reflector) with 6000K, however should I get 35W or 55W?

I want the most light output, without blinding the oncoming! (Retro-Solutions LLC Home Page 55W HID states "little to no Glare", any one confirm this?) I am thinking of getting solid Eyelids in Black, to help with the glare, of the 55W HIDs, will it work?

(I already know about the 55W HID power requirements and will get a Relay Kit)

Any thoughts... Thanks!

#32 ·
I currently have 35W HID 4500K Fog Lights and are looking to HID my low beams (stock reflector) with 6000K, however should I get 35W or 55W?
I'm a newbie to this forum, and new to making mods to a Civic. If you get better advice than mine, then go with it.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that your lowbeams right now are the stock 55W halogen, and you want to install an aftermarket HID bulb using the stock reflector. The straight-up answer is that cars designed with HID headlights use a 35W bulb for the lowbeam.

That said, I am a mechanical engineer with experience designing and manufacturing OEM headlights, taillights, etc. If you put an HID bulb into a reflector that was designed for a halogen bulb, you will NOT have a legal beam pattern. When a headlight is designed, the reflector is designed to a particular bulb. That's why the back side of the reflector has cut-outs that will only allow the correct bulb to be installed. You can by-pass that designed-in feature, but it won't be legal. You will end up with a lot of light being thrown into the eyes of oncoming drivers, and that will justifiably annoy them.

If you don't care if it's legal or not, then have at it. 35W HID is what you're after. However, I'd recommend staying with your stock halogens unless you can find an aftermarket replacement HID headlight assembly (an entire headlight, not just the bulb) because then the reflector was deisgned for the HID bulb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.