8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

HID? Bulbs? Wha? Help clarifying please.

1K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  fa5_4lyfe 
#1 ·
Okay...So I wanna put up some HID's in my 08 Sedan LX, but I'm having a hard time...differentiating between kits.

I read about brightness, cutoffs, projectors, bulb sizes. What I don't understand is the difference between a conversion kit, and a Plug n' Play kit.

When I go to those car accessories stores, I see these little blue boxes with light bulbs in them. The label is in Japanese so I can't read them but I there are little tidbits of English such as "HID!" or "6500K SUPER WHITE!"

Then I also see bigger boxes, about the size of a shoebox, with "HID Kit 9006 4300K". I know that 9006 is the bulb size for our cars, and 4300K is the brightness. But what are the differences? The little blue boxes are a lot cheaper too. In those HID kits I see, there are electrical wiring and stuff too. I see words like Ballast, Ignitor.

My question is, which should I get? Why? What are the differences. This car is a family use car so I don't really wanna do TOO much modification. I'm pretty new to this, so your input is highly appreciated.

Thanks for reading and Happy New Year guys.

-Syn

See less See more
#2 ·
Actually I have another question about DRLs. In Canada, it is a law that the car must be sold with DRLs, but it is not required for a car to actually have them. I want to add HIDs but I find it weird that my DRL and Highbeams (They are the same bulb right?) are yellow rather than white.

SO, I would like to have HID on my highbeams as well, or at least a white light. How does one accomplish this? My assumption is to get just white coloured bulbs? Please help a brother out.

Thanks.

#4 ·
IDK what the DRL law is in Canada (eh?)

If you want a different color look into getting silverstars or look online. I believe the bulb type is 9005 for the high beams

LOOK THE BULB TYPES UP ONLINE for your car.

I'm pretty sure I gave you the correct bulb types. Doesn't hurt to dbl check though. :thumb:

Hope I helped

Joey

#3 ·
Alrighty here we go

HID's use less voltage and lower temperatures to produce their light. That's why you need a ballast.

Any basic HID kit that you buy online WILL have the ballasts and lights and connections all included. You can buy the parts seperately but that is meant if something break in the future.

The different #k's explain the "color temperatue" 6300k is white, 8k (what I have) is bluish 12k is purplish (you can view this online)

The bulbs you need for civics- 9006 for lights, h11 for fogs.

You can not get hid's for your highbeams. Well you can, it wouldn't be smart though because if you flick them the bulbs will blow.

#5 ·
Conversion kit and plug n play kit are the same thing.. Don't get the bulbs that say they simulate HID's they don't last long.. You want to get a PnP kit that comes with bulbs and ballasts.. 4300k is the color temp of the light not how bright the light.. U could get 5000k (pure white) or no higher then 6000k (white with tint of blue).. If you go any higher you start to lose light output..

#6 ·
some of those small boxes you see are just reguler halgon bulbs with a "hid look". get the kit online and installed them. the bulbs for low beams is a 9006 and are seperate from your highbeams, a 9005 bulbs. you will not need hids for your hibeams since they are angled so hi and produce more power. if you want to disable your DRLs. get remove the fuse for it in the fuse panel under the steering column, its fuse # 37 i think and its a 7.5 amp fuse. just remove that and all your lights will still function correctly, highbeam lows beams etc without any warning lights on the dash

#27 ·
if you want to do HIDs right, go retrofit and contact customlightz or lightwerkz. retrofits have lots of upsides including brightest and widest possible light and the most OEM results. the biggest downside is the price. a proper retrofit set up will cost you anywhere from 700-1000. you'll also be in the rare group of having retrofits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.