8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Help - New H.I.D. Kit Won't Work

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  DuH-ReL 
#1 · (Edited)
I just installed a D-NEX HID kit for my 06 Si and the bulbs won't fire up. I checked all the connections multiple times and they should be tight. I even tried bending the prongs on the head light jack to make the fit tighter. I'm pretty sure the whole kit is working because I plugged them up to my other cars (06 Corolla and 06 tC) and they turned on just fine. I'm thinking there's not sufficient power being supplied to the ballast. When they're working there's a buzzing sound that comes off them and they're not doing that when they're hooked up to the Civic.

Any ideas on what could be wrong? Any help would be much appreciated.

#3 · (Edited)
For sure they're not gettin power. Either the headlight fuse is blown (not likely) or the connections aren't correct. Perhaps the wires are reversed for + and - from your bulbs to the stock harness. I understand that if this is the case there's nothing you'll see other then no firing up of the ballasts (no light) and quite a few have found that some are reverse wired as some model cars have it one way instead of what we need. (I'm not sayin you should reverse the connection as you could blow a fuse if the ballast isn't fully protected or worse).

If you have a volt meter or test thingy or something like that I'd check on the harness for 12 to 14 volts or somewhere in the circuit. It may save you a lot of time if you can check for voltage rather then dissecting the installation.

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the comments everyone. I took out the kit and put in the stock Sylvania bulbs and everything runs fine. I then reinstalled the HID kit and it still doesn't run. That eliminates the fuse being the problem.

The wires on the kit are good too since I tested them on the Corolla again. The only think I can think of is trehouse's suggestion. The possibility that the stock headlight bulb connection is reversed from the kit's connection. In that case I would have to test the voltage and confirm which electrical line is positive and which is negative. Unfortunately, I don't have a voltmeter. Could I just attempt to reverse the wires? Would the worse thing that could happen be that the fuse blows out?

Does anybody happen to have the wiring diagram of the stock headlight bulb connectors? Attached is a picture of the passenger-side stock connector to the kit connector. The stock's green wire is hooked up to the kit's black wire and the stock's black wire is hooked up to the kit's red wire. Should they be reversed? (Ignore the unconnected kit wires towards the right in the image.)

UPDATE: I fixed it. The wiring polarities were apparently switched on the stock headlight connectors. Thanks for the help guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.