8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Fog Light Question

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  VanSi07 
#1 ·
My foglights are the stock ones put in by Honda, and they shine to edge of the road instead of middle of the road.....Did I get a bad install or is this the correct aiming pattern? Reason for asking is I am waiting for a check so i can order HIDS I am wanting to do both low beam and fogs but if the fogs shine to the side instead of middle it would be a waste of money in my opinion....please advise

#10 ·
i heard that HID fogs don't really do much except by on-coming traffic, thats why i'll try to point mine down as much as possible. But for the experiment, 58$ HID don't really seem like a waste to me.

and OP, i think the fogs were built like that, they don't really help you see better, it's just for looks

#11 · (Edited)
Well to me fogs should allow the driver to see in the spots where the headlights don't illuminate. Glad I got them for "free" no out of pocket up front expense.

The fog lights on my wives Solara shine directly out front as do they on a lot of new vehicles, which was the reason for my questions, seems odd that Honda makes me illuminate the side of the road?

I guess I need driving lights instead.

This explains it perfectly

Fog Lights:

How your fog lights are aimed is extremely important. If they're angled too high, their light will just shoot right up into the mist—not to mention right into the eyes of oncoming motorists. If they're angled too low, then their range is greatly reduced, and you won't be able to see far enough ahead. Thankfully, the Society of Automotive Engineers (S.A.E.) has taken the guess work out of aiming fog lights by developing a standard system. Here's how it works:

* Mount the fog lights on the front of your vehicle between 10"–14" up from the ground.
* Park your vehicle 25' away from a flat wall, like a garage door or the side of a building. You'll want to make sure that the ground is level so that the results are accurate.
* Measure the height from the center of the lamp to the ground. Use that same measurement to draw a line on the wall with some chalk.
* Turn on the fog lights, and take a look at where the light hits on the wall. The tops of the beams should be 4" below the line you drew.

Driving Lights:

Driving lights generate beams that are more focused than fog lights because they're engineered to travel farther in advance of your vehicle. As such, correctly aiming them is crucial to improve your own visibility while avoiding blinding other motorists. Follow these S.A.E. tips to properly align your driving lights.

* Mount your driving lights on the front of your vehicle 14"–30" up from the ground.
* Park 25' away from a flat wall, like a garage door or the side of a building. Level ground gives you the most accurate results.
* Measure the distance from the center of your driving light down to the pavement, and mark that distance on the wall with chalk.
* Flip on the lights and find the center of the hot spot, which is the intense inner circle of the beam. Tilt the driving light so that the center of the hot spot is 1 �" below the mark you made in the wall.

#12 ·
"The tops of the beams should be 4" below the line you drew."
4 inches?? My fogs are barely 4 inches of the ground, lmao, might as well just shine them straight down.

I think this is a pretty generic statement, lowered cars must be able to aim higher than that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.