8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

getting mixed answers need suggestions

2K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  BLK_Si 
#1 ·
im lookin into getting HID's for my 08 si and ive read many threads and still dont know what the best choice would be.....ive looked into xenon depot and i was wondering whats the best hid's for the value......im looking for the brightest HID's with a white, blue , purpleish color so what provider would be the best choice???

also for white led interior lights whats the best provider?

#16 ·
Mod Express is a pretty reputable site to by HIDs from..ill be buying mine next week. Heres the link Mod Express Inc. - Refining the Essence of Mobility

id recommend getting 6000K should be enough for ur needs..make sure u select the correct bulb size which is 9006 for ur low beams...u wont need the relay harness either as the kit will connect to the stock harness with no problems..if anyone feels that i missed something plz feel free to correct

#32 ·
if i had found my answer then i wouldnt ask the question .....thats what i thinks funny the search engine sux ass and the threads really dont ask specific questions all the threads i read was mainly about the light output and not things like best or reputable source or the specifics if i wanted the hid for my lo's and hi's or anything like that......

#26 ·
Just curious, why would adding a relay make the kit last longer if the wiring is fully fine for delivering the proper current for the lights? As you I'm sure are aware these kits are drawing less current then stock halogen bulbs. I'm new here and was thinking of not bothering with the relay when my HID's come in (35 watts for my lb's).

Seems to me that the bigger issue is making sure that you have a good solid ground connection you should be fine with no issues. In fact, if the ballast case is common to ground that to me would be important to make sure it's connected somewhere to chassis ground, either through the ballast to bracket connection or via wires or so.

#27 · (Edited)
Cause for that slight instant when HID's turn on, the "flicker" you can call it. It's drawing 23,000 volts just for that instant and it's flowing through your stock wires. Overtime for how many times you turn on your HID's without the relay harness system, it will eventually damage something as in frying some wires or blowing fuses etc. It also wears out the bulbs and ballasts faster.

With a relay harness, you're drawing power from your battery and your stock harness is protected from the 23,000 volts for than instant when HID's start up. And to add to the fact, OEM HID equipped cars use the relay harness system design incorporated into their headlight wiring harness.

#30 ·
Cause for that slight instant when HID's turn on, the "flicker" you can call it. It's drawing 23,000 volts just for that instant and it's flowing through your stock wires. Overtime for how many times you turn on your HID's without the relay harness system, it will eventually damage something as in frying some wires or blowing fuses etc. It also wears out the bulbs and ballasts faster.

With a relay harness, you're drawing power from your battery and your stock harness is protected from the 23,000 volts for than instant when HID's start up. And to add to the fact, OEM HID equipped cars use the relay harness system design incorporated into their headlight wiring harness.

:bsflag:

How do you think they do that? They call upon the electricity God and conjure up some voltage from nowhere? This is impossible. I am sure what really happens is that there is a capacitor inside of the igniter that builds energy and then releases it in a "23,000 volt" surge (with low current of course), which then ignites the bulb. The ballast cant just "draw 23,000 volts" when the system only has 12. Any converting must be done in a "converter box" (cough ballast cough).

If this is the case, then all of this energy is being released from the ballast forward, thus not affecting the wiring harness of the vehicle.

Can we sticky a clause that says "you must actually have knowledge about a subject before you come into a post and feed bs to a newbie who doesnt know better?"

#28 ·
I'm not going to bother using a relay harness unless I find that there really is an issue.

I agree though that if the factory wires aren't able to provide the proper current there's going to be a problem however I don't think that there's too much call to use the relay harness unless you're drawing 9 or more amps during the surge.

Your HID system is not drawing 23K volts except between the ballast and the bulb but I think you may have meant that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.