8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Xenon HIDS?

821 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  rubyruubes 
#1 ·
I saw Xenon HIDS for sale for $180,

but I am scared to get them because I heard the bulbs burn out fast is this true?

which are the best to get ? i am a newb when it comes to HIDS..
:SHOCKED:

#2 ·
Although I haven't really had my HIDs that long (I installed them last night - HID PnP 4300k kit), I've used the stock lights as well as the Silverstar Ultras. Right now I can tell you that you're going to see a significant difference going from stock to HIDs in terms of light output, but beware of the glare that you'll get by not going for a complete retrofit w/ projectors.

Since I didn't have a whole wad of cash lying around, I decided to initially go the Silverstar Ultra route, which worked fine until one burned out after only a little over a year of use. Since I haven't had my HIDs for that long I can't say anything to the life of the HID bulbs, but I'm pretty sure if you get a decent kit, that the bulbs should last over a year if not more. Most kits are 35W kits, which, overall, draw less power than your stock lights.

To sum it up, I say go for it if you want more light output, but go for a good kit, because I'm sure a good kit should make the installation a bit easier. I had to do some modifications to the kit I installed to get it to fit properly.

Here's what I think your options are in terms of best lighting scenarios:
- Stock
- Silverstar Ultras (whiter, brighter light, significant improvement over stock)
- HID PnP retrofit (much brighter, less power, beware of glare/hotspots/etc.)
- HID projector retrofit (BEST cutoff, reduction of glare, very nice look, most costly though)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.