8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

HID for low and fog

936 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  09CivicSiSedan 
#1 ·
i have heard some people say that the 55w slim ballast will melt the wiring due to the heat its output is that true? should i go 55w lowbeam and 35wfog? will i be safer like that?

#2 ·
I am kind of in the same boat as you and from what I read. There are Harnesses for the 55w kits. I dont want to deal with that so I am going to go with the 35w. I havent really seen the need to run the 55w and takin the risk. they are both hella brighter then stock. I am doing a 6k in the low and 3k in the fogs. so I have a nice white and yellow on my NHBP FG2. What color temps are you thinking of running?

#5 ·
Correct. I'm using relay harnesses for both sets even though I only have 35w in each. The peace of mind if a ballast blows is reassuring.

Think of it like this ... if a ballast malfunctions, there goes your electrical system (basically) = $600 or more

Relay harness costing $20 = a new fuse that pops when and if the ballast fries up.

It's worth the extra money up front, even though many will tell you you do not need it. IF you are getting 55w then you DEFINITELY need it as the system runs at a higher wattage and temperature.

Play it safe and get the harness regardless.

#8 ·
i'm looking on installing my fogs this spring and putting hids in the lows and fogs. when i read on the back of the fog light it says 55w should i still install a 35w or should i install the 55w? also a noob question but where can i get the relay harness and how difficult on an install is it?

#10 ·
so should i get relays for the lows and fogs or can i just use it for the lows? planning on putting 35w hids

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.