8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

HID Problem PICS

2K views 43 replies 21 participants last post by  mr_mezi 
#1 ·
I just got these HIDS from a member on here and installed them, both 12,000k so why the difference in color? Could it be a power issue? One looks a lot cleaner then the other, the other has a more dull look to it. It's not to noticeable from far but you can deff tell the difference. Take a look and let me know what you think.

See less See more
#7 ·
It is possible that the one of the lights might have gotten dirty installation because i think you arent suppose to touch them with bare skin or get anything else on them.Not an expert on HIDs but the Kelvin color scale will tell you what range they are suppose to be in and from the color of both your lamps give off, the one on the left looks like its around 6000-8000kish (kinda dark blue-ish with white) and the one on the right looks like its 12000k(purple and white)( referencing your first pic). You might want to check with the person you got them from it is possible that the bulbs might have been accidently damaged or swapped during or before delivery.

#12 ·
retrofit FTW:woot:

i would get them but shipping costs would pwn me, i live in canadia and shipping my lights over to customlights and then back ugh it would be too much a hassle for me, hopefully i dont go crazy and buy ebay lights lol

#11 ·
neither are toast nor is it a defect. When you buy a used kit, chances are, bulbs will have different hours. When you have two bulbs with two differents hours of use, you will notice different colors. Why? Bulbs colorshift overtime to the higher kelvin rating. So, your bulbs are probably colorshifting but one may have colorshifted at a faster rate. That happens alot with kits. Anyways, you're stuck with those

#15 ·
He got them USED.
USEd means the bulbs had hours on them.
That means the bulbs are colorshifting but one of them has colorshifted quicker.
Colorshifting = bulbs will age with time and they will change to a more bluer, pinkish color. 100+ hours on a normal 4,300K bulb will be enough to get them from 4,300K to 5,000K-6000K. Thus, they will look bluer. Take a look at older acuras, bmws, lexus's, audi's. The color is BLUE and the output on the ground is crap. That's because their bulb has aged to a point they have hundreds of hours. HID bulbs do not behave like halogen bulbs. They do not stop working once they have reached a certain point. They do not burn out. But, if you leave them for AGES (5-6 yrs), they will explode inside the housing.
Geez people, if you don't know what you're talking about, don't give advise to the poor guy. He may do something he might regret later on.

#18 ·
if i were you i would see if i can return the kit you bought (get your money back) and get a new kit all together it would save you the hassle of testing out new bulbs and ballasts.

#22 ·
12,000K FTL, i had 30,000k (not as pink/purple) and i couldnt see shiat!

Now i have 6k and....."I can see cleary now, the rain is gone" lmao but yea looks like u got a fcuked up set of HIDs.

:eek:wned:

#30 ·
A lot of lumens does not necessarily make a good light. High colour temperatures like that increase eye strain, I know I'd be squinting if I had that as my headlights.
Plus, look at your pattern on the wall in the first post. There's so much glare lighting up the area above the cutoff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.