8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Article regarding headlight bulbs

914 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  BLouIsGod 
#1 ·
All About Headlight Bulbs - Team Integra

Don't know if it's a repost or not. It basically discusses options for non HID lights, that tinted ones will burn out, PIAA's make little difference, and Sylvania Silverstars do in fact work better than standard bulbs, unlike many claims that I've seen.

What primary caught my attention is the last section of the article, which states that the Sylvanias sold in the US aren't genuine. As such, I'm thinking about getting some Osrams to replace both my high and low beams:

HB4 Osram Cool Blue 4000k 9006 CB bulbs (pair) - eBay (item 290279709870 end time Dec-31-08 12:08:53 PST)

Any opinions on this, the article or the bulbs?

#2 ·
Those are garbage. Stick with your current halogens. It looks like those lights are going for the cool, "Look, I'm a blue light without actually being a HID".

The only better way to upgrade your headlamps without frying your wiring harness with an 80w halogen bulb is HID.

How can light be blue at 4,000k? It's all a marketing scam my friend. You'd be more blue around 5500-6000k with HID. 4300 is pure white and anything above that turns from blue to purple and anything below turns from yellow to candle light dim.

Just looking out for you wallet!

#5 ·
I personally have had Sylvania Silverstars in my RSX-S. After getting them, I read how they can burn out quickly. About a month later, one burned out. I said eff it and just went back to OEM. Now remember, this was an RSX but in my opinion, the silverstars were about 30% WORSE than OEM. They looked cool, yeah, but as far as light output and longevity :police:

I told my roommate this but he didn't listen. He put silverstars in his 03 Accord. His lasted a bit longer than mine but burned out. Instead of going back to OEM, he exchanged his bulb. Less than a month later, the other side burned out. I'm pretty sure he's back to stock OEM now.

Silverstars WILL burn out (from my experience). There is no better setup than OEM except an HID retrofit. :thumb:

#6 ·
Yea, I used to have a RSX Base-5S before and I put the Silverstars in (haven't read the stuff online about them yet)... one burned out in less than 2 weeks... I went back to the PepBoys that put them in (they had a special on the bulbs w/ free install)... and found out that the mechanic who put them in put his greasy hands over the housing, so I said okay, put new ones in for me... 2 weeks later, rainy day, I start my car, both bulbs were out... then I looked online... went back to oem the next day... never a problem since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.