8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

HID install..couple questions

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Gillex572 
#1 ·
I just ordered an HID kit and i just want to be prepared for when it arrives.
I asked honda if putting the kit in would void my warranty and they said its fine as long as the kit doesnt cause anything else to screw up etc. and the guy said that its better to hardwire the kit in and solder it rather than PNP..is that possible? or does he not know what hes talking about?
Should i get honda to install it or will they charge me too much? and no i dont have enough time to isntall it myself nor do i know anything about wiring these into my car haha. do i also need to put in new fuses the 20amp ones or whatever..

#4 · (Edited)
No dont have honda install it. Its fairly simple. What I would do, if you are not sure about doing the install yourself, post a thread under the Regional forums and find someone on here that has done it before and you can either pay him/her or whatever you want. It really isnt a hard install. As for the fuse, no fuse upgrade is necessary.

If you already ordered the kit, then it shouldnt be a problem installing them. Just either follow one of the Do It Yourself's (DIY) and do it yourself or find someone on here that is willing to help you out, and trust me, people on 8th are very very helpful. Do not have honda do it, they will charge you an arm and a leg and they probibly will solder it which is not necessary.

#5 ·
:yeahthat: It really is plug and play. I just ordered the 5K kit from Kaixen, from what I have heard it is really easy to install if you have any know how at all. I wouldn't even consider having the dealer install them, not sure they would anyway. Atleast my pricks of a dealer wouldn't, **** for that matter I wouldn't want them to. Order those bad boys up and then decide if you can do it or not.

#9 ·
you should never be changing a fuse to a higher rating than what it comes with. The wiring in a fused circuit is made to withstand the fuse rating only. So if you put a 20 amp fuse in the place of a 10 amp fuse and that circuit shorts out on something you could start a fire because that wire will heat up until the sheathing starts on fire.

Also installing HID's is insanely simple.

Mount your ballast near the light bulb somewhere. Plug your New HID bulb into the ballast and then install the bulb into the factory bulb location. Take your factory bulb plug and plug it into the ballast. Wala you are done. No other harness necessary. Some people say its necessary to have a harness to power the ballast directly off the battery, this is not true. A ballast pulls a large current for a few milliseconds to ignite the bulb and then it uses less current than a stock halogen bulb once its running. This millisecond surge is not enough to trip any fuses or hurt any wiring. I have installed many of kits with and without the harness and I can tell you that harness is not necessary.

#10 ·
:yeahthat:

No need to pay for the install, once you drop the fender liner it will become very clear as to what you need to do, including where to mount the ballast. Even if you take the bumper cover off, it's no big deal. Get the kit, drop the fender liner, unplug old lights, plug in HID. It's that easy. If you are concerned about hooking it up, I wouldn't recommend getting a kit that needs to be wired in with a relay power wire etc. Make sure you get a kit that is plug and play like the Kaixen or a couple of other types. I chose the Kaixen because alot of people like the kit and it seems to be one of the best out there. Just hook it up your self, it always seems intimadating at first, but once you get it, it wil all make sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.