Hybrid-Racing 3.5 intake - Page 13 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Bolt-Ons And All-Motor > Intake & Spacer Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #241 (permalink)

Materials apart (clearly Silicone being superior to plastic.... would love to see IAT comparison ), design wise the intakes are diferent:

- More bends in the Skunk2
- V-stack on Hybdrid, not on Skunk2
- Then... Calibrations; MAF for MAF Hybrid will KILL the Skunk2 (not just by the looks of it!!) That "reducer" for the MAF Sensor on the Skunk2 murders your air flux and creates a Huge amout or air turbulance. Hybrid is a step ahead.

These are just 3 small pointers..... among many more.

Let the tests begin!!
_Mozz_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #242 (permalink)
VIP Member

Bradley
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mozz_ View Post
Materials apart (clearly Silicone being superior to plastic.... would love to see IAT comparison ), design wise the intakes are diferent:

- More bends in the Skunk2
- V-stack on Hybdrid, not on Skunk2
- Then... Calibrations; MAF for MAF Hybrid will KILL the Skunk2 (not just by the looks of it!!) That "reducer" for the MAF Sensor on the Skunk2 murders your air flux and creates a Huge amout or air turbulance. Hybrid is a step ahead.

These are just 3 small pointers..... among many more.

Let the tests begin!!
sicivic09 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #243 (permalink)

True, but let's compare apples to apples here, say you're not using the reducer and you are using a flowstack like myself.

You need a Flashpro MAP tune for Hybrid since sticking your MAF in 3.5" obviously isn't going to work, same thing the importDPS CAI requires. Using an IAT sensor in the S2 without the reducer and flashpro would essentially be the same.

So we are really comparing materials and bends at this point.
Polaren is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #244 (permalink)
VIP Member

Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaren View Post
True, but let's compare apples to apples here, say you're not using the reducer and you are using a flowstack like myself.

You need a Flashpro MAP tune for Hybrid since sticking your MAF in 3.5" obviously isn't going to work, same thing the importDPS CAI requires. Using an IAT sensor in the S2 without the reducer and flashpro would essentially be the same.

I was wondering about this. My question originally was if you needed flashpro to use this intake so I'm guessing the answer is yes? I figured I would check since there is a spot for the MAF but wasn't sure how that all worked. Interested in getting a new intake when money finally comes around but I guess my only option at this point is the skunk2 since I don't have flashpro anymore
spawnkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #245 (permalink)

Wrong thread I know but I'm asking around on the subject and it seems to be the topic in here right now. But with the Skunk2 what will need to be done in order to not run the MAF sensor reducer? They say for other engine management systems that MAF delete section is included, but what will be required in order to use that section?
dave87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #246 (permalink)

Quote:

Apples to apples, MAF housing to MAF housing.... it is no my fault Skunk2 went for the reducer design.

I have to say, that next week I was going to order a Skunk2 intake (design its acceptable and i Know it fits the TypeR FN2 chassis) , and the first thing I was going to do was send the MAF housing to SAMCO to have a custom one made. Right after that was a Bigger filter with 6" V-Stack!! (check my posts in civinfo.com if someones doesnt belive I have been "studying" these matters).

Now, we have been presented with a True 3.5" Intake that comes with all those things I was going to change, its also made of a much better materias and has a smoother air path.

At this point I am just a very happy man for not to have bought the Skunk2, not because its a bad intake, but because I believe something better was just presented to us.

Only time and testing will actually tell of it is really superior or not, but at this point, I believe it is.

Last edited by _Mozz_; 12-09-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #247 (permalink)

I believe this Hybrid will be more superior than the Skunk2 as well. But I don't think it's going to be anything drastic. Maybe a handful of horsies but nothing that's going to be like wow what a massive difference. Both are great quality products in their own way and top of the totem pole when it comes to CAI for these cars.
dave87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #248 (permalink)

Quote:
Apples to apples, MAF housing to MAF housing.... it is no my fault Skunk2 went for the reducer design.

I have to say, that next week I was going to order a Skunk2 intake (design its acceptable and i Know it fits the TypeR FN2 chassis) , and the first thing I was going to do was send the MAF housing to SAMCO to have a custom one made. Right after that was a Bigger filter with 6" V-Stack!! (check my posts in civinfo.com if someones doesnt belive I have been "studying" these matters).

Now, we have been presented with a True 3.5" Intake that comes with all those things I was going to change, its also made of a much better materias and has a smoother air path.

At this point I am just a very happy man for not to have bought the Skunk2, not because its a bad intake, but because I believe something better was just presented to us.

Only time and testing will actually tell of it is really superior or not, but at this point, I believe it is.
I guess I disagree, I would happily ditch the stock MAF as a IAT sensor.

S2 made it so people can run without a flashpro if needed, which fits the requirements. Albeit they should create a 3.5" one for ease of use for some people. (not hard to make your own since it is just a IAT sensor at that point).

This also exists with the importDPS intake, so it isn't like HR was the first to do this 3.5" MAF housing.

I personally dislike silicone material used, too many bad experiences with it on other cars.

I don't think it will be better, and I'd love to see tests but nobody really seems to do them even after the product is released.
Polaren is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 01:31 AM   #249 (permalink)
Garage Queen

Are you guys smoking crack? The skunk2 intake comes with a coupler to completely delete the maf sensor. It gives you both options out of the box.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:53 AM   #250 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucter View Post
Are you guys smoking crack? The skunk2 intake comes with a coupler to completely delete the maf sensor. It gives you both options out of the box.
Everyone needs to stop making magical intakes for this community. Every time they release a new one, the last intake loses all its magical powers and becomes obsolete somehow.
ILoveBreakfast671 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #251 (permalink)

Stephen
To answer the guys question about the bypass valve working and not working, it's going to take a pressure differential to "activate" the bypass valve. The way it works is the filter is the lowest restriction on the intake, so while the bypass valve might suck a little air right as you floor it, it will stop after that. What happens is when the filter is submerged or wet the pressure goes up and it starts to function and suck air in at the bypass location.
w00t692 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #252 (permalink)

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by w00t692 View Post
To answer the guys question about the bypass valve working and not working, it's going to take a pressure differential to "activate" the bypass valve. The way it works is the filter is the lowest restriction on the intake, so while the bypass valve might suck a little air right as you floor it, it will stop after that. What happens is when the filter is submerged or wet the pressure goes up and it starts to function and suck air in at the bypass location.
Okay. My only concern was getting heat soak through the bypass valve.
Yamahaplaya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #253 (permalink)

Stephen
If there's any heatsoak my iat's haven't shown it.

Last night it was 66 degrees and my iat's were 69 at the end of my 3rd gear pull, at the start they were 72.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #254 (permalink)

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by w00t692 View Post
If there's any heatsoak my iat's haven't shown it.

Last night it was 66 degrees and my iat's were 69 at the end of my 3rd gear pull, at the start they were 72.
Aw man that's great! So I'm even more pumped to be running this intake. I wonder how much it'll improve the "butt dyno" replacing my Fujita short ram.
Yamahaplaya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #255 (permalink)
8thcivic Sponsor

russ
Guys,

We're gearing up for some pre-release dyno comparisons. Previous time spent on the dyno has been with adjustable prototypes that helped us generate the production version.

During the first week of 2013, we'll be dynoing the production unit against other intakes.

Here's a list of what I have in our warehouse to test with:
  1. stock airbox
  2. Hybrid Racing pre-production unit
  3. AEM CAI
  4. Password JDM Airbox

Here's a list of what you guys are sending in so far:
  1. Import DPS 3.5" CAI

I know I have seen a few people requesting specific comparisons. We are going to make an offer to people willing to let us borrow their CAI. If you allow us to use your CAI (expect us to need it for about a month), we will give you a 20% discount on the purchase of our 8th Gen CAI when it is release in January.

Here's how it would work:
  1. You PM me to let me know what intake you're offering to let us borrow
  2. If we have not already acquired that intake, I will give you the go ahead to ship it to us.
  3. We must receive the intake by Dec 21st at latest for you to be eligible for the discount.
  4. We will use the intake for testing and have it back in your hands by January 18th
  5. When our intakes are available in January, you'll be able to redeem the 20% discount off MSRP.

We will be using 4 different cars for our comparison:
Test Car 1 Mods
  • Flashpro only

Test Car 2 Mods
  • Flashpro
  • T1R Header
  • T1R 70mm Exhaust

Test Car 3 Mods
  • Flashpro
  • Skunk2 72mm throttle body (with 72mm bored manifold)
  • RDX Injectors
  • PLM Header
  • Full Race 3" Exhaust

Test Car 4 Mods
  • Flashpor
  • ZDX throttle body (with adapter and bored manifold)
  • RDX Injectors
  • Skunk2 Alpha Header
  • Invidia Q300 70mm Exhaust
  • Kelford 179-a Cams

I am not sure exactly which intakes we will be comparing on which cars, but we will complete as many pulls and comparisons as possible. Every intake that goes on a car will receive tuning time from the same tuner. Each intake will be given approximately the same amount of tuning time to make sure the comparison is as fair as possible. We'll be warming up all cars before each pull to make sure there aren't any unfair advantages. All pulls will be done on the same day and will receive compensation for ambient weather conditions. All pulls will be performed with the hood down if possible.

PM me if you have an intake that is not on the list that you're interested in sending in.

~russ
hrRUSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #256 (permalink)

Quote:
I guess I disagree, I would happily ditch the stock MAF as a IAT sensor.

S2 made it so people can run without a flashpro if needed, which fits the requirements. Albeit they should create a 3.5" one for ease of use for some people. (not hard to make your own since it is just a IAT sensor at that point).

This also exists with the importDPS intake, so it isn't like HR was the first to do this 3.5" MAF housing.

I personally dislike silicone material used, too many bad experiences with it on other cars.

I don't think it will be better, and I'd love to see tests but nobody really seems to do them even after the product is released.

I know they are not the first to do a 3.5" maf housing, I never said that. Was just comparing the two intakes we were talking about.

What bad experiences have you had with Silicone?

I personaly have had them aswell with the pipe shocking , This was a SAMCO Intake Pipe. After talking to them and getting a Reenforced version, results were completely diferent. 100% happy after.

Like I have said, I am NOT saying Skunk2 is a bad intake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucter View Post
We know that Mucter, The MAF housing was just one of the pointers I mentioned and was just comparing MAF to MAF. And the hybrid also has both options out of the box if we go that route, as you can also run both calibration types..... and without having to Delete Maf sensor and install IAT sensor.

So, with this Hybrid intake, you have both options out of the box and you can alternate as you like without having to ever mess with the intake, couplers or sensors.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #257 (permalink)
8thcivic Sponsor

russ
Quote:
I know they are not the first to do a 3.5" maf housing, I never said that. Was just comparing the two intakes we were talking about.

What bad experiences have you had with Silicone?

I personaly have had them aswell with the pipe shocking , This was a SAMCO Intake Pipe. After talking to them and getting a Reenforced version, results were completely diferent. 100% happy after.

Like I have said, I am NOT saying Skunk2 is a bad intake!

We know that Mucter, The MAF housing was just one of the pointers I mentioned and was just comparing MAF to MAF. And the hybrid also has both options out of the box if we go that route, as you can also run both calibration types..... and without having to Delete Maf sensor and install IAT sensor.

So, with this Hybrid intake, you have both options out of the box and you can alternate as you like without having to ever mess with the intake, couplers or sensors.
I might be misunderstanding your implication, but I should mention that our intake design is NOT designed to use a MAF calibration. It will only work with a MAP calibration. We made it accept the factor MAF so that you can utilize the MAF as a temperature sensor. This allows you to run a MAP calibration without wiring in an RSX or similar IAT sensor.

This intake cannot be used without an aftermarket tuning solution that allows the use of a MAP calibration.

~russ
hrRUSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #258 (permalink)

Stephen
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrRUSS View Post
Guys,

We're gearing up for some pre-release dyno comparisons. Previous time spent on the dyno has been with adjustable prototypes that helped us generate the production version.

During the first week of 2013, we'll be dynoing the production unit against other intakes.

Here's a list of what I have in our warehouse to test with:
  1. stock airbox
  2. Hybrid Racing pre-production unit
  3. AEM CAI
  4. Password JDM Airbox

I know I have seen a few people requesting specific comparisons. We are going to make an offer to people willing to let us borrow their CAI. If you allow us to use your CAI (expect us to need it for about a month), we will give you a 20% discount on the purchase of our 8th Gen CAI when it is release in January.

Here's how it would work:
  1. You PM me to let me know what intake you're offering to let us borrow
  2. If we have not already acquired that intake, I will give you the go ahead to ship it to us.
  3. We must receive the intake by Dec 21st at latest for you to be eligible for the discount.
  4. We will use the intake for testing and have it back in your hands by January 18th
  5. When our intakes are available in January, you'll be able to redeem the 20% discount off MSRP.

We will be using 4 different cars for our comparison:
Test Car 1 Mods
  • Flashpro only

Test Car 2 Mods
  • Flashpro
  • T1R Header
  • T1R 70mm Exhaust

Test Car 3 Mods
  • Flashpro
  • Skunk2 72mm throttle body (with 72mm bored manifold)
  • RDX Injectors
  • PLM Header
  • Full Race 3" Exhaust

Test Car 4 Mods
  • Flashpor
  • ZDX throttle body (with adapter and bored manifold)
  • RDX Injectors
  • Skunk2 Alpha Header
  • Invidia Q300 70mm Exhaust
  • Kelford 179-a Cams

I am not sure exactly which intakes we will be comparing on which cars, but we will complete as many pulls and comparisons as possible. Every intake that goes on a car will receive tuning time from the same tuner. Each intake will be given approximately the same amount of tuning time to make sure the comparison is as fair as possible. We'll be warming up all cars before each pull to make sure there aren't any unfair advantages. All pulls will be done on the same day and will receive compensation for ambient weather conditions. All pulls will be performed with the hood down if possible.

PM me if you have an intake that is not on the list that you're interested in sending in.

~russ
woot hood down comparisons, be prepared to see some low numbers out of any short rams! lol
Old 12-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #259 (permalink)

Special.K
russ bro.... im almost ready for you to take my monies hurry up and git er done
killin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #260 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrRUSS View Post
I might be misunderstanding your implication, but I should mention that our intake design is NOT designed to use a MAF calibration. It will only work with a MAP calibration. We made it accept the factor MAF so that you can utilize the MAF as a temperature sensor. This allows you to run a MAP calibration without wiring in an RSX or similar IAT sensor.

This intake cannot be used without an aftermarket tuning solution that allows the use of a MAP calibration.

~russ
Glad you cleared that. I was not interested in running a MAF Cal, as I do use MAP cals for a very long time now, even with just intake , Headers an Exhaust, I was already on MAP.

But I was under the impression the MAF Sensor could be calibrated, if calibrated correctly, MAF calibrations could be used.

I know 70mm CAIs on FN2, MAF sensor gets calibrated and MAF Cals are being run.

Last edited by _Mozz_; 12-10-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.