8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

low rpm engine turns off check engine light on

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  enojy 
#1 ·
hi. i just installed an aem cai in my 09 civic ex automatic, and almost everytime right after i stop on a stop sign, the engine just dies on me like the rpm is way too low or something, but i crank it and it starts without a problem, but then after 20 minutes driving it, the check engine light came on, what seems to be the problem? im very sure i installed the intake correctly,followed all the instructions written on the manual. need desperate help on this matter. i kinda like how the car runs with the new intake on, but i do not want to keep cranking the engine on everytime i hit a stop sign or a red light. and the check engine light is making me stress out like a uknowhat. im sure one of my brothers and/or sisters up in here will have the heart to help out. thank you :facepalm:

#3 ·
i checked all the hose connections and everything was pretty sealed tight.so i reset the cel light by pulling the negative terminal and the cel disappeared. and then after a couple of hours, i drove the car again, got on the freeway for the first time after install, and alas, the cel went on again. what seems to be the problem? should i just put the stock intake back? will the aem cai void my warranty if i left it there? :facepalm:

#5 ·
i just did the same thing, put the stock back on. it kinda sucks coz like sneekix was saying, the power gains (especially driving on the freeway when rpm goes over 4000+) were hella noticeable.and the sound is amazing,totally not ricey. it just feels like your driving a different car. i just didnt wanna wait til something bad happens to my ride with that aftermarket cai on. imma just wait 'til the comptech icebox comes for our r18s. peace out. :dancingcoolsmiley:

#6 ·
Very possibly a vacuum leak; not necessarily exclusive to the hoses. Check the connection to the throttle body and spacers between pieces of the intake (if it isn't a one-piece design.)

This happened to me when I installed my AEM cold air intake; it's a two-piece intake, and the way it's designed makes it a royal PITA to fasten the lower portion of the pipe. I ended up doing a shoddy job connecting the two pieces, and they separated during an autocross day. Symptoms were very similar -- strange idle behavior (bogging primarily) and a CEL after some point. I didn't have my Accessport at the time, so I couldn't pull the code, but after the CEL I decided to call it a day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.