8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

DIY: New way to install HFP Side Skirts/Aero Kit [With Pics]

68K views 102 replies 47 participants last post by  Mr Mugen RR 
#1 · (Edited)
ok so this is how i installed my HFP sideskirts because the directions seemed impossible at the time.
what you will need:
a friend or two
razor knife/sharp knife
phillips head screwdriver
rubbing alcohol and a clean towel

to start off, install the rails into the side skirt, should look like this

A: is the pressure points where you will be pressing on at first. will make more since as you read on.
B: is where you cut sections of the tape and peel back the cover of the tape to expose the sticky part

wipe the side of the car down with alcohol and let it dry. to get rid of all the stuff like wax so the tape will stick better.
now, cut the sections of tape like stated above
it will end up like this, but before you peel the red off you have to be ready to stick it on the car.

then get a friend or two to help line up the holes in the wheel well and the rear, then press down good where you had the bare sections of the tape. should be about here: but press all they way down just in case

let it sit there for a minute to make sure the tape sticks well. then press down on the lip and slide it toward the front of the car to remove the skirt from the rail. then take the rest of the red covers off of the tapeand press them down onto the car. then take the tape off of the side skirt and re apply it the way you took it off, then screw it down and press down good on the rest of the tape.

and presto, you are done! no measuring and marking to do on the car.

if any part is not clear let me know and i will see if i can make it more clear, and update the OP.

any other questions just let me know!

Oh. credit for the bare kit pics goes to dorkiedoode

See less See more
#7 ·
Damn, if only you had posted this like 3 days earier. I just installed mine and the passenger side was a *****. The double sided tape on the section from the door and back was s***, it just wouldn't stick for some reason. I ended up going to AutoZone and buying the OEM side molding double sided tape and it works great.

#11 ·
then press down on the lip and slide it toward the front of the car to remove the skirt from the rail. then take the rest of the red covers off of the tapeand press them down onto the car. then take the tape off of the side skirt and re apply it the way you took it off, then screw it down and press down good on the rest of the tape.
completely off the rail? Like I have the skirt in my hand while my car is 5 feet away?

#12 ·
yes, but the metal rail will still be stuck to the car, finish peeling off the red stuff from the tape and stick it the rest of the way down, then slide it back on.

in the directions from honda you are supposed to measure from somewhere (i didnt find that to be clear in the directions) and stick the rail on, then slide on the skirt. the tape that is on the rail is unbelievebly strong though i did have to take a small section off and i felt i was going to rip the panel off the car.

and also..be careful, the metal on the rails is sharp. i cut myself :(

#17 ·
correct, the only way to mess up is if you dont line it up right before you stick it on. the way i would do it is line up the screw holes in the front, then line up the screw holes and the top of the back part of it then press it down. just remember, if you do mess up you can remove the rails..it wouldnt be easy, but its doable. i had to move one of mine up because it was before i perfected the method and only cut out a section in the middle of the rail for it to stick, and when i removed it to put the rest of it on i couldnt keep it straight. but with 3 points for it to stick, it wont move.

#28 ·
haha yw glad i could help :)

Now make one for the front and rear! hehe
lol those are too easy to even need a DIY IMO, front being harder than the rear, but not by much

thats how i did my side skirts like a year and a half ago. i took one look at those honda instructions and laughed.
lol, well if you would have made the DIY it would have saved me some headache trying to desipher those insructions. i didnt laugh when i saw them..but i got a laptop out and tried to look up how others did it and couldnt find anything! so i made up a way`

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.