8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Door Lock Tricks (Auto Lock, Auto Open)

362K views 262 replies 206 participants last post by  kimba.ardiente 
#1 · (Edited)
Steps to set Auto-Lock modes on.

Turn Door lock ON for vehicles with auto transmission when the car reaches 9MPH/15KPH:

1) Make sure the shift lever is in PARK (P), and close the driver's door.
2) Turn the ignition to the ON (II) position.
3) Set the Parking Brake.
4) Push and hold the brake pedal, then move the shift lever out of PARK.
5) Push and hold the front of the master door lock switch on the driver's door. You will hear a clicking sound, and after about 5 seconds, you will hear another clicking sound.
6) Release the switch, move the shift lever to PARK, and then turn the ignition switch to the LOCK (0) position within 5 seconds.

Turn Door lock ON for vehicles with manual transmission when the car reaches 9MPH/15KPH:

1) Close the driver's door.
4) Push and hold the front of the master door lock switch on the driver's door. You will hear a clicking sound, and after about 5 seconds, you will hear another clicking sound.
5) Release the switch, and then turn the ignition switch to the LOCK (0) position within 5 seconds.

Turn Door lock ON for vehicles when shifted from "Park" position. (Automatic Only)

1) Make sure shift lever is in Park position, and close the drivers door.
2) Turn the ignition switch to the ON (II) position.
4) Push and hold the front of the master door lock switch on the driver's door. You will hear a clicking sound, and after about 5 seconds, you will hear another clicking sound.
5) Release the switch, and turn the ignition switch to the LOCK (0) position within 5 seconds.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Steps to set Auto-Unlock modes on.

The auto-door unlocking feature has two or three possible settings, depending on transmission.

These modes are:
  • Door unlocks whenever you turn the ignition to LOCK (0) position.
  • On Automatic transmissions, the driver's door unlocks when you move the shift lever to the PARK (P) position.
  • The auto-lock is deactivated all the time (factory default.)

To unlock the driver's door on automatic vehicles when the ignition switch is out of the ON (II) position.

1) Make sure the shift lever is in PARK (P), and close the driver's door.
3) Set the parking brake.
4) Push and hold the brake pedal, then move the shift lever out of PARK (P).
5) Push and hold the rear of the master door lock switch on the driver's door. You will hear a clicking sound, and after about 5 seconds, you will hear another clicking sound.
6) Release the switch, move the shift lever to Park (P), and turn the ignition switch to the LOCK (0) position within 5 seconds.

To unlock the driver's door on manual vehicles when the ignition switch is out of the ON (II) position.

4) Push and hold the rear of the master door lock switch on the driver's door. You will hear a clicking sound, and after about 5 seconds, you will hear another clicking sound.
5) Release the switch, and turn the ignition switch to the LOCK (0) position within 5 seconds.

To unlock the driver's door when shifted into "Park" position. (Automatic Only)

1) Make sure shift lever is in PARK (P), and close the driver's door.
4) Push and hold the rear of the master door lock switch on the driver's door. You will hear a clicking sound, and after about 5 seconds, you will hear another clicking sound.

#3 · (Edited)
Disabling Door Lock Modes, both Automatic and Manual

1) Open the drivers door. [On Vehicles with automatic transmission, make sure the shift lever is in PARK (P).]
2) Turn the ignition switch to the ON [II] position.

Disabling Door Unlock Modes, both Automatic and Manual

1) Open the drivers door. [On Vehicles with automatic transmission, make sure the shift lever is in PARK (P).]
2) Turn the ignition switch to the ON [II] position.

* All settings of the Door Locks will retain setting even if the battery is disconnected.

#7 ·
.eL said:
Now I don't want to sound mean but it really annoys me how many people DON'T read their manual.

...if it's in the manual, it's hardly a "trick"

hahha... i wus wandering about the same thing "trick?,,isnt this in the manual"
hahahh.............but oh well it was kind of him to point it out to those that dont read the manual.,,,gj..............69

#15 ·
yeah, that's the only annoying thing about this.... That the passenger door doesn't unlock, I don't understand why Honda overlooked this simple little function for this "trick". I read my manual and did this "trick" a while ago but I'm thinking I might disable it, because I almost always have a passenger. It's really annoying to have to unlock the door for them.... Sounds lazy but... oh well. Maybe Hondata can add this function to their reflash. LOL!

#18 ·
I have a manual EX coupe, made in canada. It's not working for some reason. So this is what I did,

-all doors are closed
-parking brake is set
-key in II position, (0,I,II,III so the third is the one when u start the car, i know i put it in II)
-Press and hold the front of the lock button.

now I press and held, but all i hear is the initial locking sound(which is followed by an echo) and then after 5 seconds nothing happends, i dont hear another click, i even held it for like 10 seconds still nothing...

#19 ·
LOL... this is funny... I remember when I just bought my ex back in NOV, I was waiting to pick my sister up from school when I told myself "Hey i should read the manual" I found out alot about my car... i think everyone should

#20 ·
The passenger door probably doesn't automatically unlock for safety reasons.

Still would be nice to have the option, but I can understand why they didn't allow it.

#23 ·
amg said:
I have a Sedan LX, I live in Venezuela, I cant get this work on my Car...
I follow all the steps you give, and read the owners manual on this topic but nothing happens.
Any Idea?
Try the sequence again, but do it really fast. It took me more than several tries to get it. Practice the steps over and over until you can do it without looking at the instructions. If you have to stop to look at the instructions, you're doing it too slow. I know the manual says to do it within 5 seconds, but it's more like 3 seconds.

#24 ·
amdhunter said:
Steps to set Auto-Lock modes on.

Turn Door lock ON for vehicles with manual transmission when the car reaches 9MPH/15KPH:

5) Release the switch, and then turn the ignition switch to the LOCK (0) position within 5 seconds.
Ok step 4- what does it mean when it says press the "front" of the master door lock switch? Do they mean the lock position or the unlock position?

#25 ·
blackSI06 said:
Ok step 4- what does it mean when it says press the "front" of the master door lock switch? Do they mean the lock position or the unlock position?
If you want to enable the auto-locking feature, they mean hold it in the lock position. If you want to disable auto locking feature, they mean hold it in the unlock position.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.