TWM shifter assembly question - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Civic Style > Inside and Out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 04:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Bryan
Exclamation TWM shifter assembly question

Is having the base and cable bushings a necessity for installing the TWM short shifter assembly. I bought mine as part of a sick deal and forgot if it came with the bushings or not..

Would I be able to install it without the bushings? or would it be better to wait a while and have the bushings before I install it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 05:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Zac
It's not strictly a necessity, but I would highly recommend at least going with the base bushings.

Since these bushings are metal and not rubber, they don't shift and move around like the oem bushings do, thus resulting in a firmer and more defined shift. Some say it's negligible, but for me, it was a night and day feeling with just the base bushings on. There was a great deal less play in my shifter and the gears feel very solid.

I bought the twm shifter with both the cable and base bushings, although I haven't installed the cable bushings yet.

Last edited by Nightfall; 12-01-2012 at 05:45 AM.
Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 05:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

david
You can install it using the stock base bushings. You don't need the TWM base or cable bushings to use the shifter.
doobeh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Aren't handfuls of people destroying their shifter cables cuz of the twm shifter?
BlownNHBPSI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

David
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownNHBPSI View Post
Aren't handfuls of people destroying their shifter cables cuz of the twm shifter?
Who has done that?
SiSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

david
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownNHBPSI View Post
If I remember correctly they were kinking the cables either (1) during the installation of the bushings due to not removing the cable for where it is anchored on the transmission and (2) the solid bushings themselves not allowing many degrees of freedom versus the stock ones or the hybrid ones. I've only read about this on this forum when I was looking to Jane my cables bushings. I ended up going with hybrid-racing because I had read that the solid TWM or any solid bushings make it easier to kink the cables. I haven't heard of anyone breaking their cables cause of the shifter though.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Bryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by doobeh View Post
If I remember correctly they were kinking the cables either (1) during the installation of the bushings due to not removing the cable for where it is anchored on the transmission and (2) the solid bushings themselves not allowing many degrees of freedom versus the stock ones or the hybrid ones. I've only read about this on this forum when I was looking to Jane my cables bushings. I ended up going with hybrid-racing because I had read that the solid TWM or any solid bushings make it easier to kink the cables. I haven't heard of anyone breaking their cables cause of the shifter though.
so do you suggest if I get base/cable bushing to get them from HR and not TWM?

thanks for the feedback
iCivicSi08 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

david
I have hr base and cable bushings and the cable bushings are a bit better than stock but the base bushings don't really do much IMO. The hybrid base bushings didn't fit with my TWM shifter but they do fit the oem shifter. I would just say buy the TWM shifter and then just the hybrid cable bushings. That's what I did but if you want base bushings then just buy the TWM bushings. I would say just save your money and don't buy the base bushings as long as your stock rubber bushings are still intact.

Last edited by doobeh; 12-01-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Zac
Quote:
Originally Posted by doobeh View Post
If I remember correctly they were kinking the cables either (1) during the installation of the bushings due to not removing the cable for where it is anchored on the transmission and (2) the solid bushings themselves not allowing many degrees of freedom versus the stock ones or the hybrid ones.
For the first point, I don't see how you can kink it if you follow the directions properly and take proper care. Plus, all cable bushing installations are going to be about the same if I'm not mistaken. And if you're talking about the base bushings, well, I don't see a way to mess the cables up there at all.

For the second, the big difference between twm and hr cable bushings is that the hr bushings have a spherical bearing in them which allows it to rotate more freely than twm's solid metal bushings. Whether or not the twm's lack of a bearing actually causes problems, I have no idea. They claim that since it's made of their special "bronzoil alloy" it will have enough lubrication to allow the cables the freedom of movement they need.

If you wanna be safe, I'd go with HR. Hope this helps.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Bryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
For the first point, I don't see how you can kink it if you follow the directions properly and take proper care. Plus, all cable bushing installations are going to be about the same if I'm not mistaken. And if you're talking about the base bushings, well, I don't see a way to mess the cables up there at all.

For the second, the big difference between twm and hr cable bushings is that the hr bushings have a spherical bearing in them which allows it to rotate more freely than twm's solid metal bushings. Whether or not the twm's lack of a bearing actually causes problems, I have no idea. They claim that since it's made of their special "bronzoil alloy" it will have enough lubrication to allow the cables the freedom of movement they need.

If you wanna be safe, I'd go with HR. Hope this helps.
I see, now what if I decided to go with just stock bushings? and no aftermarket ones. would i see any damage being done to my transmission or SS?
I drive an SI if that makes a difference
Old 12-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Zac
The stock rubber bushings are also supposed to allow for the degrees of freedom necessary (since they're rubber and can move around) to prevent damage much like the hr bearing bushings. So you should be safe (especially considering that it's the oem part).

I have the twm shifter assembly with twm base bushings and stock cable bushings myself.

Last edited by Nightfall; 12-01-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:41 AM   #12 (permalink)

Bryan
Quote:
The stock rubber bushings are also supposed to allow for the degrees of freedom necessary (since they're rubber and can move around) to prevent damage much like the hr bearing bushings. So you should be safe (especially considering that it's the oem part).

I have the twm shifter assembly with twm base bushings and stock cable bushings myself.
I see, so say I just install the TWM SS assembly. Will I need to remove the bushings to do the install? or kinda of like plug and play and all I have to do is remove the OEM shifter?

by the way, appreciate all the help fellas
Old 12-02-2012, 02:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

Zac
If you don't install the cable bushings, you don't even have to go near them, or the engine bay for that matter.

You do have to remove the base bushings from the oem shifter assembly if you plan on using those with the twm shifter, but that's really trivial.

To sum it up, you'd only need to touch the cable bushings if you were changing them specifically or replacing your shift cables themselves.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:48 AM   #14 (permalink)

Bryan
Quote:
If you don't install the cable bushings, you don't even have to go near them, or the engine bay for that matter.

You do have to remove the base bushings from the oem shifter assembly if you plan on using those with the twm shifter, but that's really trivial.

To sum it up, you'd only need to touch the cable bushings if you were changing them specifically or replacing your shift cables themselves.
Gotcha, sweet thanks for the info and taking your time to answer my questons!

Last edited by iCivicSi08; 12-02-2012 at 04:50 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

Zac
No problem!
Old 12-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
VIP Member

Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiSoldier View Post
Who has done that?
lol... and not only cables
mike_si_29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.