ARC Front Splitter - Page 4 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Civic Style > Inside and Out

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2009, 01:43 AM   #61 (permalink)

𝑺 my 𝒅
whats ghetto if its properly done

hes not putting SI badges on the car.
06 Civic Ex is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2009, 02:56 AM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 Civic Ex View Post
whats ghetto if its properly done

hes not putting SI badges on the car.
what i said was an "si" wing! read the post correctly bro
strCIVIC is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 03:12 AM   #63 (permalink)
aki

Semi-Si Sedan Hater
I still don't see how people can defend slapping those ARC ones as being legit, and Home Depot as rice. Splitters are meant to split air. And since people are putting these on for style, they're not positioning them correctly. The splitter is supposed to stick out up front, so that the leading edge allows the air to split and go underneath. Look at the real DC2 splitter:

Notice how it actually sticks out? Now look at the same splitter on an FG2. Notice how the splitter isn't sticking out, which means it's not doing its job.

Since the functional aspect is gone, it just becomes expensive eye-candy. Hence it'd seem more practical to just buy some 89 cent Home Depot and make one yourself. It's not as though ARC does something special to make the plastic look better, or that it's made of some super-special material that makes the ARC one intrinsically more valuable.
aki is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 10:33 AM   #64 (permalink)

Brian
B MAN is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 12:17 PM   #65 (permalink)

www.illmotion.com
You can make them stick out however much you want. Mine are mounted so they stick out.

Element63 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #66 (permalink)
RPM

Bobby
Mine just got shipped out yesterday so hopefully I should have them soon coming from Japan..
RPM is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #67 (permalink)

Brian
how much
B MAN is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 01:35 PM   #68 (permalink)
aki

Semi-Si Sedan Hater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Element63 View Post
You can make them stick out however much you want. Mine are mounted so they stick out.
My point is, most people aren't doing that, and that for most it's just an aesthetic mod. Either way I don't see how making your own from Home Depot makes a difference than these things.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #69 (permalink)

www.illmotion.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by aki View Post
My point is, most people aren't doing that, and that for most it's just an aesthetic mod. Either way I don't see how making your own from Home Depot makes a difference than these things.
well imo the real ARC ones look way nicer than those ones that were made from home depot. Also putting an ARC sticker on none ARC product is pretty lame.....
Old 05-19-2009, 03:40 PM   #70 (permalink)

Chris
strangely enough, aftermarket parts companies do put some thought into designing aerodynamic parts.

the home depot bit, while similar looking, doesn't have the same aerodynamic properties.
cderalow is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 03:57 PM   #71 (permalink)
RPM

Bobby
**** it cost me $258.00 shipped from Japan I should have them sometime this week I hope..
RPM is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #72 (permalink)
VIP Member

ig @ je5hua
Everyone running these things have cars too low to properly install them anyway. They're for aesthetics.. why not make sideskirts out of rain gutters from home depot, its way cheaper? Cause it looks like **** and is beside the point.
JeShUa is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 06:06 PM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeShUa View Post
Everyone running these things have cars too low to properly install them anyway. They're for aesthetics.. why not make sideskirts out of rain gutters from home depot, its way cheaper? Cause it looks like **** and is beside the point.
Ditto.
rgsoundf is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 06:23 PM   #74 (permalink)

Brian
Quote:
x3.

Why not use homemade DIY pieces? because unless its a cnc'ed piece for under the hood, it isnt COOL.

bottom line. You are trying to be a BALLER, but your just a WANNABE.
spicy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 10:57 PM   #75 (permalink)

V
lol well looks like the thread has gone in an interesting direction
homeboyv is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 11:30 PM   #76 (permalink)
aki

Semi-Si Sedan Hater
Quote:
There's a huge difference between a sideskirt, which has to be molded, fiberglassed, and fit onto the car... and these things, which is really a piece with just a 90-ish degree bend. A sideskirt has to conform to the body of the car you're putting it on. This is flat, with a winglet sticking out. Why else would DC2 and EK9 splitters fit? The analogy just doesn't work. If you were to get sheet metal, trace the shape of the ARC and bend it you'd get the same exact aesthetic result.

Quote:
the home depot bit, while similar looking, doesn't have the same aerodynamic properties.
It's not rocket science to replicate a splitter. You have a flat piece perpendicular to the ground stick out from the bumper to split the air. It's not as though you're designing a NACA vent. Plus as I mentioned most people with the ARCs don't even make use of its aerodynamic properties anyway, so it's largely a moot point.

Last edited by aki; 05-19-2009 at 11:32 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-20-2009, 01:00 AM   #77 (permalink)

www.illmotion.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by aki View Post
There's a huge difference between a sideskirt, which has to be molded, fiberglassed, and fit onto the car... and these things, which is really a piece with just a 90-ish degree bend. A sideskirt has to conform to the body of the car you're putting it on. This is flat, with a winglet sticking out. Why else would DC2 and EK9 splitters fit? The analogy just doesn't work. If you were to get sheet metal, trace the shape of the ARC and bend it you'd get the same exact aesthetic result.

It's not rocket science to replicate a splitter. You have a flat piece perpendicular to the ground stick out from the bumper to split the air. It's not as though you're designing a NACA vent. Plus as I mentioned most people with the ARCs don't even make use of its aerodynamic properties anyway, so it's largely a moot point.
How are you able to trace the shape of an ARC splitter if your to cheap to buy one to trace?
Old 05-20-2009, 01:11 AM   #78 (permalink)
aki

Semi-Si Sedan Hater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Element63 View Post
How are you able to trace the shape of an ARC splitter if your to cheap to buy one to trace?
Borrow a friend's? My point was that it's a whole lot easier to pull off a nicely-executed DIY for this than say making your own sideskirt. People here are arguing that somehow these things are super special and give some special properties/function that a DIY won't have. Which isn't true. People argue that a DIY of this would inevitably look like crap, which is also untrue given how the tooling required to make this isn't as extreme as a sideskirt.

Last edited by aki; 05-20-2009 at 01:15 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:09 AM   #79 (permalink)

first off i didn't start this arguement... but ppl calling my custom fabricated winglet "ghetto " is not nice on this forum... what my point is that you can make something out of this winglets with just couple of dollars instead of spending about 2bills on a non functional parts for your car... if you don't like what i posted or made then don't put your 2cent into it... cause winglets so as canards are supposed to cool off your brakes from what i read... anyways i'm out of this joint. payce!
strCIVIC is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2009, 05:15 AM   #80 (permalink)
VIP Member

its ghetto. Its my 2 cents. Its a forum. I can say whatever I want. It will still look horrible.
trickyazn is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.