How much does Full body repaint usually cost? - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Civic Style > Inside and Out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2008, 12:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Ed
How much does Full body repaint usually cost?

I know it costs 100 in NFS, How much is it in real life? I have a Blue Sedan givin it to my wife but she wants it red.. How much does that usually cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2008, 12:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

4+ for quality.
e60.deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2008, 01:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

nfs = real life

so same price
MobiusTech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2008, 01:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Acorns!

you get what you pay for

Quote:
Top paint job comes at a price

In labor-intensive, high-end work, what's done before and after dictates how high the price goes.

By MARTY CLEAR

Ralph Perez has no quarrel with the big chains that offer affordable auto painting. But a lot of people get the wrong impression from those ads that offer paint jobs for a couple of hundred bucks.

"We see it all the time," said Perez, the owner of Ralph Perez Body Repairs in Seminole Heights. "We give a guy an estimate for $3,000 (for a paint job) and he goes nuts because he's seen those commercials and he thinks it should only cost $200."

Perez specializes in high-end paint jobs for high-end cars. The average price, he said, is about $3,500.

It's possible to get a car painted for a whole lot less, Perez said. Maaco Auto Repair and Body Works, for example, offers full paint jobs for as little as $229.95.

It's not that one overcharges or the other does shoddy work, Perez and other industry experts say. For some people, and some cars, the bargain paint job is the best choice; for others, the higher-quality job is the only way to go.

"The high-end paint job is very labor-intensive," said John Wilson, the office manager for the Maaco shop on E Fowler Avenue. "That's just not what we do here. We use quality paint. We use DuPont paint exclusively. But we don't do as much prep work as the high-end places do."

At Perez's shop, the typical customer has a late-model Mercedes, BMW or Lexus. Maaco customers tend to be more likely to drive eight-year-old Hondas, Nissans and Toyotas.

"They've got the car all paid off and they just want to get another year or two out of it," Wilson said. "They just want it to look a little nicer."

The quality of the paint, and the process of applying the paint, doesn't vary all that much between the high-end and bargain jobs. It's what's done before and after that makes the difference in price.

Maaco and other low-cost paint shops typically tape the parts of the body that aren't supposed to be painted, including the headlights, the side mirrors, the bumpers. At Perez's shop, all those parts are removed and the body gets a thorough sanding before the paint goes on.

Once the paint is on, high-end places do a wet sanding and buffing; Maaco doesn't. Perez offers a lifetime warranty; Maaco's least expensive paint job has a warranty of only a year.

Whatever kind of paint job you're getting, it's a good idea to do some research first. If you're just looking for a bargain job, make some calls and ask some questions. Ask about prices and warranties. See if any specials are available.

But if you're going for the high-end paint job, shopping around is essential. The price is one consideration, but Perez said the most important thing is to look closely at recently finished jobs at a number of shops.

Perez advises his customers to inspect finished cars for runs in the paint, overspraying (paint that gets on places where it doesn't belong), peeling, dust under the paint, and tiny lines from the sanding process. If you're paying top-dollar, the paint job should be virtually perfect. If a shop seems reticent to allow you to look at one of its completed jobs, cross it off your list.

Color is an important consideration, especially in Florida, and especially if your car is going to be parked in the sun often. All paint fades, but some colors fade more than others. And some colors show dirt more than others.

"A black car is all clean and shiny on the showroom floor," Perez said. "But it's hard to keep it looking that way."

Perez says he has never owned anything but a silver-colored car. He finds that silver holds its color well and is fairly forgiving of dirt and grime.

After you've had your car painted, especially if you've paid thousands of dollars, you'll want to take care of the paint job.

Perez advises parking in a garage, or at least under a shelter; having your car waxed regularly by a reliable detail shop; and washing with a soap specifically designed for cars. If you don't have that, a few drops of dish soap in a bucket of water will work well; just don't use too much soap or you can ruin the finish, Perez said.

I've seen some nice jobs where they remove all the trim/windshield, etc that ran $5k.
webby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2008, 01:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Acorns!

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/water...kjob-ever.html

^^^ or this guy is more than willing to repaint for you

whoever does it, if you really do get it painted, - make sure you see their work prior to going there.
webby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2008, 01:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Ed
damn, i guess my wife has to put up with this color then
Chinoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2008, 01:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

Jeremy
Not worth repainting it..
I Vtec, do you? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2008, 01:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Ed
Yeah I was hopin for like 1k max
Old 10-04-2008, 01:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

Aaron
you could always go to maaco but it will look like poopie
arrivalanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2008, 01:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

James
an exhaust and intake costs 1000 dollars :P paint gotta be more!
lovecheese is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2008, 01:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

terry
sorry but i would say tought s@^t and keep it blue....just get her some new rims, that always keeps them happy
4door is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2008, 01:24 AM   #12 (permalink)

i wanna get my car painted jade green metallic from the RSX =D

now i was wondering, with a 4k paint job...what do they do with the engine bay? do they pull the motor out and paint or do they just paint what they can reach...or just leave it
MFDOOM44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2008, 01:26 AM   #13 (permalink)

James
Im sure 4K is the basic outside and around where they can reach... Pulling the engine out would probably be another pricy move
lovecheese is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2008, 01:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Ed
I know on the MTV show (forgot the name, was it Rides or somethin), They pulled up the engine and everythin to repaint
Old 10-04-2008, 01:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
idgaf

sloots gonna sloot
might as well trade in for a new car
Exeon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2008, 09:17 AM   #16 (permalink)

Andrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exeon View Post
might as well trade in for a new car
Seriously... you're better off trading it in on a brand new Red one and you still wont spend as much as you would if you were to repaint the whole car. Plus you have to factor in the fact that it wont be the "original" paint anymore which brings down the resale value no matter how good of a paint job it is.
hondamtrco4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #17 (permalink)

CFL=Cavaliers for life
Quote:
Originally Posted by webby View Post

whoever does it, if you really do get it painted, - make sure you see their work prior to going there.
I feel really bad for that guy.
Fishstix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2008, 06:52 PM   #18 (permalink)

The cheapest quality paint job w/color change = $4k/$5k and that's w/o anything super fancy... like 2 diff colors, morphing, fading colors etc. And even paying this kind of money there's no guarantee you get a really good paint job at the end. Paint jobs are tricky...
rgsoundf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2008, 07:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

Danny
Quote:
Originally Posted by webby View Post

oh my god
chaotik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2008, 03:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
8th-a-holic

Josh
i wouldnt even paint my cavalier at maaco...and it looks like hammered SH!T...
ArmyofOne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.