8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Sirius Mounting Questions

4K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  1abSi 
#1 ·
Hello all,

just bought and installed a Sportster 5 in my civic.

i used the vent clip stuff, only because i dont want the radio in the window.

my ideal solution would be to use the window bracket to put it in the cubby hole in front of the shifter. not the part by the aux/power jack, but the bigger section. anyways, the window suction cup setup angles perfectly for what i want it to do, but it will not stay. i tried to get some adhesive tape, but no go on the bumpy bottom of the cubby.

any ideas?

i thought about screws, and maybe taking the console out to do it right, but i just wanna see what you all think first.

#3 ·
Take the vent bracket (use the longer tension springs), remove the foot on it, and mount it upside down onto the dock. Install it on the bottom lip of the cubby hole by angling the part with the foot holes down a bit and sliding the tension springs underneath the black bottom lip. It's very sturdy with that setup and looks great.

#14 ·
ocdcivic,

That's what I meant. That's the exact spot I was referring to, I should've posted a pic. Sorry if it wasn't clear enough. The way I got rid of the plug was I drilled a small hole in the bottom corner inside the center console, under the felt (then just put it back and you can't see it). Plugged it into the outlet and ran the wire on the inside of the center console all the way up.

#15 ·
So you have it plugged in the center console? That would work; correct me if I am wrong but I tried cutting the end off and tapping the wires into a power/ground source and the unit wouldn't power up. Has anyone been able to power the unit without using the outlet plug?

#17 ·
I hardwired mine in (night pic). The cords in my pic are for the Zune and the TomTom. I prefer to have the TomTom plugged into the DC outlet for the ability to remove all evidence of an aftermarket navi. I park in a strip center for work and the thieves are always looking for easy prey. That is also the reason I got the Starmate instead of the Sportster. I can easily replace the radio. They have it at my local BB for $29.99.

#20 ·
i do not have the same unit however if you remove the little black lid in the cubby, there are two bolts that hold the stereo in and you can fab a bracket to attach to a sat radio bracket. here is mine and sorry for the quality of the pic, just easy to send it from my phone

#21 ·
Yeah, I wanted a clean install though. The only wires visible are the ones you see from the back side of the unit. They go through the vent and under the dash, where everything else is hardwired. I have my cell phone holder mounted down in the tray, and my remote gain is attached to the panel that allows access to the head unit screws. So that location was not good for me. Also, like I said, I don't know why anyone would want to look down when it can be mounted closer to eye level.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.