7" Navi - Page 5 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Civic Style > I.C.E., Electrical, Security, & Navigation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2007, 05:10 PM   #81 (permalink)

Edward McNamara
WMA support, excellent! That might just do the trick for me, I have a lot of music encoded in that format.

I'm curious, are you buying the ZIO enclosure and cradle so you don't have to mess with the plugs anymore - just a simple hot-swap cradle? Sounds like a nice upgrade. I can imagine being happy for the first week or so with all the connector support but it might get tedious to keep having to connect and disconnect cable directly from the Navi. A hotswap cradle would be the icing on the cake.

I test drove an '07 Sedan yesterday that lacked Navi and I'm leaning towards purchase, so I may be in the market for this Navi soon. Sure beats $1700 for the OEM and I've got a ton of TV shows and movies in DiVX.

I'm in the Infantry and when we're not in the field or ruck-marching, we spend a lot of time sitting around the CP just waiting.... I'd love to recline in my new Si and catch up on a whole season of The Shield with the A/C going.
GlobalCop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2007, 06:20 PM   #82 (permalink)
Wegue Wegue

Adrian
Yes, the cradle is so I can hot swap out the drive. I'm putting all the cables behind the dash so they don't hang from underneath. It looks cool too!

The choice of having a massive storage device hanging off this unit was something I was not aware of until I tried it, it is definately a plus.

I'll post pics once I have it installed *should be within a few days, need it for the sept. 15th BBQ and cruise*

If you get a 12v source, you could watch while you march *grins* and know where you are too.
Cr8tive_leo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2007, 07:01 PM   #83 (permalink)

Jeremy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr8tive_leo
Awesome! *grins*

Give the locations I showed you a try, I like where mine ended up, easy to view, it swivels right a bit to give the passenger a clear unobstructed view too.
Cables fit nicely.
I'll certainly give it a try, I have a few ideas. I'm definitely going to be mounting a USB port in the cubby behind the shifter. I was also thinking about dropping a ~100 gb external HD into the center arm-rest, but do you think it could get too hot in there?
I Vtec, do you? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2007, 07:29 PM   #84 (permalink)
Wegue Wegue

Adrian
Depending on where you put it, mount it behind the unit? Arm rest may get a little warm, but a 2.5" drive can run fairly warm. An option, if you aren't leasing your car. Is to Dremel a vent on the inside back of the arm rest, put a fan.

Hey, it's an option, dunno if I'd actual do that particualar mode.

Last edited by Cr8tive_leo; 09-08-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:19 PM   #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Why would that be? All navi's only last 1hr - 2hrs on a battery, I use it everywhere, in the house, in the car. Seeing that all in dash units don't have a battery either, makes no difference to me.

I don't see why not having a battery would make a difference. *m'eh*
im not so sure but since its not just a navi ill want to use it outside the car and i will not want to plug in all the time
RJJensen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2007, 08:25 PM   #86 (permalink)

im getting one of these for the lady
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2007, 09:16 PM   #87 (permalink)

Jeremy
Quote:
Depending on where you put it, mount it behind the unit? Arm rest may get a little warm, but a 2.5" drive can run fairly warm. An option, if you aren't leasing your car. Is to Dremel a vent on the inside back of the arm rest, put a fan.

Hey, it's an option, dunno if I'd actual that particualar mode.
I most definitely do not have the balls to start dremeling the inside of a car I still owe ~16 grand on
Old 09-11-2007, 03:17 PM   #88 (permalink)

Jeremy
Welp I just got mine.. I guess Fed Ex delivered it on time after all, too bad they think it's alright to drop a $400 item near your garage and leave it there without a signature.

Anyways, the guy forgot to package the instruction booklet in with the rest of the stuff so he's sending it over now. I used the navi a few times and it has worked well so far, except it couldn't find one address (in its defense.. the place was just built a few weeks ago). How often do they update the maps leo?

Other than that, the unit is pretty damn tight. I need to figure out a way to mount it to the dash without drilling. The sample video was great - the picture quality was amazing for what I was expecting. Just as a test I calculated a route to one of the previous owner's location. I'm in rochester, minnesota, and it took the navi about 30 seconds to plan a route all the way to california. I'm impressed
Old 09-11-2007, 03:31 PM   #89 (permalink)
Wegue Wegue

Adrian
Terra Atlas maps are usually updated every three months, then they translate that to the different Navi units, it still should be around the same time period.

WOOO! Glad you got it! and Happy you like it. It's always a nail biter to see what other people think, one person's opinion is always difficult to believe, or understand, but when someone jumps in and gets it, and has similar outlooks, that's a plus.

After the work calms down a little, I'll get a chance to play some more.

You could use velcro strips with 3m tape , or something similar to mount it to the dash.

Awesome! The Navi700 Squad begins! *weehee*
Old 09-11-2007, 03:37 PM   #90 (permalink)

Jeremy
Quote:
Terra Atlas maps are usually updated every three months, then they translate that to the different Navi units, it still should be around the same time period.

WOOO! Glad you got it! and Happy you like it. It's always a nail biter to see what other people think, one person's opinion is always difficult to believe, or understand, but when someone jumps in and gets it, and has similar outlooks, that's a plus.

After the work calms down a little, I'll get a chance to play some more.

You could use velcro strips with 3m tape , or something similar to mount it to the dash.

Awesome! The Navi700 Squad begins! *weehee*
Haha no doubt man.. thanks for pointing me in the right direction. This thing is a friggen bargain for what it does. Right now I have it mounted on the door window, which works pretty well. I tried it on the windshield but it was too distracting. I tried getting it stuck on that tiny lil window that sedans have, but for some reason it wouldn't suction to it.

I think my biggest challenge is gonna be getting the wires tucked away somewhere. What's the name of the wire I need to plug it into my Aux port so the sound goes through my speakers? I donno why I assumed they came with it, but I guess it makes sense that it doesn't.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:47 PM   #91 (permalink)
Wegue Wegue

Adrian
Mini jack.
Get a right angled one.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:49 PM   #92 (permalink)
Wegue Wegue

Adrian
Weird, I will try the window on the side *I have a sedan* I though I had it stuck there as a test once.

Also working on a small harness that plugs into the side and gets the usb/video/audio to come out the backside with little sticking out... like a small breakout box.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:34 PM   #93 (permalink)

seems like an obvious nice location would be the center console in the cubby above the shifter...no?...or is it too large for that spot?

edit: wow i just watched one of ur vids and the navi voice is so sexy!!!
RJJensen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2007, 08:57 PM   #94 (permalink)
Wegue Wegue

Adrian
There are many different voices, there is an English (British) Female voice too, going to try that as soon as I find my install cd...

There are sampel,s of the Coolnavi in the spot you mentioned, it works great, and is easily seen.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:43 PM   #95 (permalink)

Jeremy
Quote:
Weird, I will try the window on the side *I have a sedan* I though I had it stuck there as a test once.

Also working on a small harness that plugs into the side and gets the usb/video/audio to come out the backside with little sticking out... like a small breakout box.
That sounds awesome man, let me know when you're done with it

Since I don't have the instructional manual yet, I'm gonna pretend you're it :P

So if you feel like answering any of these, much appreciation.

This one has been annoying me.. lets say I wanna eat at taco bell. So I do a search for the name 'Taco Bell', select one and start going. I did this today, and then realized after a few minutes I was going to one 86 miles away If you sort by distance, then you have to hunt through the whole list for a specific spot. Is there anyway to search for a name, and then sort it by distance?

Secondly, would you reccommend updating the maps right now? I'm not sure if the previous owner did, but I've noticed a few things so far that used to exist here (stores) that have since closed down in the last few months.

Thirdly, how do you change the navigation to sort by fastest, shortest route, avoid tolls, etc etc. I swear I've clicked every button and none give this option.

And finally.. how do you lower the volume?!?! I hit the (-) volume button, but all that wants to do is bring up a lil menu and then scroll down the list with that button. Hitting the (+) volume button just scrolls back up the list.

Sorry for being such a newb :P
Old 09-11-2007, 09:47 PM   #96 (permalink)
Wegue Wegue

Adrian
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Vtec, do you?
That sounds awesome man, let me know when you're done with it

Since I don't have the instructional manual yet, I'm gonna pretend you're it :P

So if you feel like answering any of these, much appreciation.

This one has been annoying me.. lets say I wanna eat at taco bell. So I do a search for the name 'Taco Bell', select one and start going. I did this today, and then realized after a few minutes I was going to one 86 miles away If you sort by distance, then you have to hunt through the whole list for a specific spot. Is there anyway to search for a name, and then sort it by distance?

Secondly, would you reccommend updating the maps right now? I'm not sure if the previous owner did, but I've noticed a few things so far that used to exist here (stores) that have since closed down in the last few months.

Thirdly, how do you change the navigation to sort by fastest, shortest route, avoid tolls, etc etc. I swear I've clicked every button and none give this option.

And finally.. how do you lower the volume?!?! I hit the (-) volume button, but all that wants to do is bring up a lil menu and then scroll down the list with that button. Hitting the (+) volume button just scrolls back up the list.

Sorry for being such a newb :P

I will have to get my Navi and do these things and write them for you *grins* (route and toll should all be there, I turned off toll, jst to avoid HWY 407)

Use the remote to change the volume, the vol - vol + on the unit should change the volume too.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:00 AM   #97 (permalink)

Jeremy
Ok next newb question.. how do you update the maps?!

I tried putting in the cd and installing it, but when I get to the point to "Go" and install it, it just pops up saying "C:/Navmate and its contents will be deleted" or something to that effect. If I say 'Ok', it does nothing. If I say 'cancel', it does nothing. I tried changing the folder and nada.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:31 AM   #98 (permalink)
Wegue Wegue

Adrian
Quote:
Ok next newb question.. how do you update the maps?!

I tried putting in the cd and installing it, but when I get to the point to "Go" and install it, it just pops up saying "C:/Navmate and its contents will be deleted" or something to that effect. If I say 'Ok', it does nothing. If I say 'cancel', it does nothing. I tried changing the folder and nada.

You take the card reader, insert the CF card in the reader. Install the maps onto the CF card. (I did exactly what you did the first time too)

Notice destination says G:/ instead of C:/navi or whatever...

Old 09-12-2007, 01:27 PM   #99 (permalink)

Jeremy
Ahh ty ty, now I just feel like a moron trying to load the maps onto my computer instead of the cf.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:35 PM   #100 (permalink)
Wegue Wegue

Adrian
Quote:
Ahh ty ty, now I just feel like a moron trying to load the maps onto my computer instead of the cf.

Trust me, the manuals wouldn't have told you , and I did it too.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.. G.I. JOE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.