2 15" or 2 10" Help - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Civic Style > I.C.E., Electrical, Security, & Navigation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Ryan B
2 15" or 2 10" Help

As the Title says

I have 2 15" Rockford punch, and 2 10" Alpine Type S

Both in vented box's.....these were from previous cars I had in the past.

I am hoping to get your thoughts on which one of the 2 setups I should go with.

Also if you have pics with Dual 15" vented boxes in your trunk.

Final note what 2way or 3way speakers are you guys running
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

One ten inch is plenty for our little cars..
SlowSiIsSlow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Zach
i have 1 12" kicker and it shakes the rear deck like no other. 2 15" just sounds absurd in our cars. i'd go with the 2 10" for now, see how you like it, sell the 15"s and get 2 12"s instead. im planning on getting another 12 soon, im in it for the sound though, not how much i can shake the car.
omgitszcoh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Kel
i have one 12in pioneer champion series sub and a 700w rms pioneer amp with a stock headunit and speakers i think my stuff sounds way better then any of my friends setups
kelweezy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

2 10s for sure. i have 1 10 and its more than enough for me.. enjoy
JerryDeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ryan B
ok cool so my 2 tens it is for sure......Things I need if you guys come across it before I do

1 Dual ten inch vented box
4 6.5 two way speakers
and 1 crossover
MidnightRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yea 2 10's (even though I seen you decided on them already) the amount of space you'll be able to use for the 10's will benefit more then trying to squeeze 2 15's in. The amount of air space won't be enough to let them breathe if your doing a trunk build.

Ok and for 6.5's I say just get 1 pair of components. Look at the sensitivity of the speaker and it'll determine how loud they are. Reason I say just go with 1 pair is the sound stage will sound better with them playing from up front. Any speakers behind will tend to be drowned out from the bass anyway. Unless you plan on running like 8" shallow mount woofers in your doors (modded) for mid bass, I wouldn't run 2 pairs of speakers. Also if you considering using any in the rear deck, DON'T! The pressure and air from the subs will force the speakers to reach peak and blow possibly when you play them loud enough. It'll be a waste of money honestly.
master_jbb3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 09:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Richard-R18crew#1069;)
i currenty have 3 12's hahah and been wanting to get rid of them too much for me
rickyboo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboo View Post
i currenty have 3 12's hahah and been wanting to get rid of them too much for me
4th order bandpass? I've been considering running 3 12's in a 4th bp but I'm iffy on it. Don't know if I want to run all that.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Jason
2 15" or 2 10" Help

I had 2 12" alpine type-r subs with a 1200 watt mono amp and a capacitor. After they broke the rear view mirror off of my spec v I took them out. It also broke A big section behind it on the windshield. The long term effects on ur speakers suck and they will eventually sound horribly distorted. I even had my trunk lined in dyno mat.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Blindsk8er7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 02:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

Ryan B
2 15" or 2 10" Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by master_jbb3 View Post
Yea 2 10's (even though I seen you decided on them already) the amount of space you'll be able to use for the 10's will benefit more then trying to squeeze 2 15's in. The amount of air space won't be enough to let them breathe if your doing a trunk build.

Ok and for 6.5's I say just get 1 pair of components. Look at the sensitivity of the speaker and it'll determine how loud they are. Reason I say just go with 1 pair is the sound stage will sound better with them playing from up front. Any speakers behind will tend to be drowned out from the bass anyway. Unless you plan on running like 8" shallow mount woofers in your doors (modded) for mid bass, I wouldn't run 2 pairs of speakers. Also if you considering using any in the rear deck, DON'T! The pressure and air from the subs will force the speakers to reach peak and blow possibly when you play them loud enough. It'll be a waste of money honestly.
I am a alpine guy what 6.5 you think I should use up front. i have two sets of type S 6.5 that I got for free that I am going to use for the back so I don't care if it blows.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-15-2013, 04:06 AM   #12 (permalink)

I mean if you like alpine, I'd say stick with what you have. Only question is are they coaxial or components?
Old 02-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #13 (permalink)

Ryan B
2 15" or 2 10" Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by master_jbb3 View Post
I mean if you like alpine, I'd say stick with what you have. Only question is are they coaxial or components?
They are coaxial

Old 02-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightRyan View Post
They are coaxial

Yea you'll want to get some components then. It'll sound better then coaxial based on where the location for the door speakers are. Coaxial sound best when they are at mid level with the driver. When they're low (Near your feet) they won't sound as good. Even if they're very loud, separating the tweeter from the speaker/woofer will give you a more surround feeling.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

2 10's for sure. I've got one Type R in my car and it hits plenty hard.
Freekill94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 02:15 AM   #16 (permalink)

Mike
2 15" or 2 10" Help

I love alpine. I have a 12" r with a mrp m500 amp and it hits plenty. so 2 tens will be plenty. As for speakers I'm running s's on a alpine pdx 4 channel. The gain is only a 1/4 up and it's plenty loud.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Crash_86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #17 (permalink)

West
I would say try to sell em or trade and get 1 12" type r with a mrp500 or mrp650 like the above post says. That way you'll bang and still have trunk space. I personally don't like the sound of 10's. 1 12" is perfect for a little car like this. I would just pay attention to which gen of type r it is because they all have different ratings (500w rms, 600w rms, etc.) and just buy the alpine amp that matches it. Since you're an alpine guy maybe try the 6.5" components they make? I've never heard em but I imagine they're pretty good. Good luck!
w35t is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 04:30 AM   #18 (permalink)

Chris
I'm more partial to the alpine's! But like a few other people said, sell em and maybe buy a Sundown Sa-12, or Type-R 12. I've had both and they're both awesome. They would love a good ported and you'll still have room! As for my components, i have JBL MS-62C all around on a Soundstream Reference Amp. I like the Type-S components a lot, especially for the price. As for the fronts, the Type-R components would be great. I listened to the Type-X and they're nice, but just pricey!

Last edited by ClamChauda931; 03-16-2013 at 04:16 AM.
ClamChauda931 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #19 (permalink)

Justin
I've heard great things about the type R. Both the sub and components (I wouldn't mind running the type R comps)

I'm running a Sundown E-12 in a 4th/6th conversion and am extremely happy with it. Biggest thing with the E series is its defiantly SQ favorable as its not a low end monster, won't get insanely loud (can hold its own depending on the box as every time I demo people swear its an SA) and is very tight in response compared to the SA line. Great budget sub.

I've run sealed, 4th, and 6th with this sub. Very versatile and will run ported or sealed just fine.

Last edited by Beckerson1; 03-10-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Beckerson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2013, 12:27 AM   #20 (permalink)

Richard
Maybe I missed it, but I guess it would be good to also state what the goals are, what type of music you typically listen to, etc.

IME, 1 10" for SQ competition is sufficient for our cars. Funny thing is I have had a couple judges complain that it was too much and had to tune down certain frequency ranges. I only have had one interested in more dynamics at lower volumes (but that comment was not just for the sub but for other parts of the frequency range as well).

If you're like me that hates rattles, going with larger than a 10 will likely drive you nuts as you'll likely just induce more and need to go deaden like crazy . My $0.02 FWIW.
papasin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.