Battery options for cars with sound systems? - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Civic Style > I.C.E., Electrical, Security, & Navigation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Derek
Battery options for cars with sound systems?

Hey looking for my options in getting a new battery for my car which has 2 amps in it for my system. The oem one lasted very long 3+ years, just want to get a better one that is a direct replacement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Justin
Quote:
Originally Posted by runeknight95 View Post
Hey looking for my options in getting a new battery for my car which has 2 amps in it for my system. The oem one lasted very long 3+ years, just want to get a better one that is a direct replacement.
I got the Duralast Gold battery and love it... I'm not pushing to many amps with my system anyway...
Beckerson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 06:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Kinetic
jefferson111984 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 12:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

Justin
Quote:
Really you need to figure out how many Amps your amps will draw total...

Here is mine for example:

My mid/highs amp is capable of putting out 280W Max, thats where I have it set...

And my sub amp is set to 300W max...

So I'm looking at 580-600W Max combined

You know the amount of Watts and the Voltage which you can use 13.8 average voltage our cars run at idle...

So using the Formula Amps= Watts/Volts I get

580/13.8= 42A

With this you have a general idea, but most the time you won't require the full amperage as you won't be pulling the max wattage anyway as it fluctuates as your play music and different volumes... Also the cars components draw power as well so you need to keep this in mind... I can't remember the estimated amount of amps but I figure 30A roughly...

Now with a low draw system that I have you should be fine with most common batteries out there... but if you are running more then 1-1.5K or so then I would consider a pricier battery as the one suggested above...

Me personally with A/c on and system at full tilt run right around 14V at idle but with the Si you get a better alternator at 120A over the 70A the other civics have... so my story may be different then others

Last edited by Beckerson1; 05-17-2012 at 12:21 AM.
Beckerson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

John DOE
kinetik HC1800!!!! i was running 2 of these and they are great batteries.
omega48er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckerson1 View Post
Really you need to figure out how many Amps your amps will draw total...

Here is mine for example:

My mid/highs amp is capable of putting out 280W Max, thats where I have it set...

And my sub amp is set to 300W max...

So I'm looking at 580-600W Max combined

You know the amount of Watts and the Voltage which you can use 13.8 average voltage our cars run at idle...

So using the Formula Amps= Watts/Volts I get

580/13.8= 42A

With this you have a general idea, but most the time you won't require the full amperage as you won't be pulling the max wattage anyway as it fluctuates as your play music and different volumes... Also the cars components draw power as well so you need to keep this in mind... I can't remember the estimated amount of amps but I figure 30A roughly...

Now with a low draw system that I have you should be fine with most common batteries out there... but if you are running more then 1-1.5K or so then I would consider a pricier battery as the one suggested above...

Me personally with A/c on and system at full tilt run right around 14V at idle but with the Si you get a better alternator at 120A over the 70A the other civics have... so my story may be different then others

Well i gues with your formula im at 90.58. But i not only had to install an additional battery(kinetic) i also had to install as 240amp hi output alternator and run 0 gauge wires. The amperage was dropping so low it was frying my amp. My main amp runs off two 40 amp fuses and smaller just a single 40 amp fuse. I now will replace the battery under the hood with a kinetic battery as well. For the 2nd/trunk battery i simply bought a battery box and fit the biggest kinetic battery i could get($300) to fit in there
jefferson111984 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.