8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Anyone ever had this problem?

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  lostdaytomorrow 
#1 ·
I just finished isntalling my alpine sub and amp, turned the radio on, amp comes on but sub is hardley making any noise. I figured the gain just got turned down, so I turned it up some. Still the same. So i adjusted the sub level on the headunit to +6 and still nothing. I'm thinking its the crappy line out converter I bought. It says that it has a 10:1 reduction on it. Is this the problem?

#4 ·
Likely a loose connection.

Did you buy the sub with a box, or did you build your own? I'd start with the connections on the amp & outside of the box first since it's the easiest. If everything's fine there, you might wanna look inside the box and make sure you have secure connections. I've actually had a sub be "froze" before when I didn't use it for months. I took a 12v battery to the wires coming off it and gave it a couple jumps, and everything was back to normal.

Do you have a DMM? If so, check the amp's output power, too. It really could be a number of things, so you need to start the elimination process.

#5 ·
It's a box I built myself. I took it out of my truck a few weeks ago before I traded it for the SI. Was working perfectly fine before. I'll mess it some more tomorrow and see what happens. I'm kinda dissapointed though, I was ready for some bump... haha.

#6 ·
In that case, do the 9v or 12v battery test. It's possible the sub is frozen in place just like I had an issue with. Take the pos & neg wire off the subwoofer and tap them to the pos & neg terminals of a 9v or 12v battery (only a tap, don't hold it on there). It should make the sub jump. Do this a couple times, and then reconnect everything. May or not work, but it's worth a shot.

#8 ·
lostdaytomorrow said:
Or maybe you wired your LOC wrong.
I guess that's possible. It had 4 wires coming out of it, 2 for the right channel and 2 for the left. I took both positives (one from each channel) and wired it to the positive on the stock subwoofer wiring, then took both negatives and wired them to the negative on the stock subwoofer wiring. There was also an optional ground that I didn't hook up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.