Rear speaker wires, which wires are positive and negative. - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Civic Style > I.C.E., Electrical, Security, & Navigation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Rear speaker wires, which wires are positive and negative.

My 2006 Civic Sedan VTi (Australia model) has blue and orange for right rear speaker wires and grey and brown for rear left speaker wires. Which ones are positive and negative?

I just completed my Amplifier and Subwoofer setup, and the Kenwood 8104D amplifier turns on (blue and red light) but the subwoofer has no sound. The amplifier uses speaker level inputs (tapped from the rear left and right speakers) and has auto sensing turn on. Did I wire them correctly? Wouldn't the amp not turn on if it wasn't wired correctly?

By the way, I'm using Alpine Type-R 10" speakers 4ohm dual voice coil (SWR-1042D model), wired to 2 ohm and my amplifer accepts 2ohm load stable at 500 RMS.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2010, 08:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Joe
On my 2009 GX, gray and blue are positive.
joeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2010, 09:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Then I have wired the speaker level input wires correctly. The subwoofer still doesn't have sound.

The Kenwood 8104D amplifier has power lights on (Blue and red) but the subwoofer makes no sound or vibration whatsoever.

The wiring setup should be correct, so I don't know what's wrong.

I don't think the subwoofer is defected because I just bought it and it hasn't been used before.

Can anyone help me?
richardcwc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2010, 12:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

bok
blue and gray positive

Last edited by bokyo102; 02-10-2010 at 12:20 AM.
bokyo102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Not sure about the Aussie models, I have a US version 07 civic sedan, and the wires are as follows:

Left rear + = Yellow (Port 11)
Left rear - = Brown (Port 2)
Right rear + = Blue (Port 16)
Right rear - = Orange (Port 8)

I give the ports because I believe they link to the same terminals regardless of wire color. If you look at the back plug and face the part you unplug from the radio directly, it should have 9 ports on top (Ports 1-9 left to right) and then 8 ports on the bottom (Ports 10-17 left to right). If they're not much different, hope that helps.
lml Frank lml is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 10:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

A Multimeter will tell you in about 10 seconds.
lostdaytomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2011, 08:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdaytomorrow View Post
A Multimeter will tell you in about 10 seconds.
How does the multimeter tell you what's pos and neg? I tried this once before by turning on the radio, running the multimeter at DC voltage and putting the leads on the speaker wires in the harness after it was disconnected, and I got the pos and neg on the display of the meter and thought that that was the correct pos and neg of the speaker wires. This made all the sense in the workd to me and I thought it was the correct way to find out, but then after doing some research, I found out that in fact, the way i did it was wrong. The small DC voltage that you get when touching the speaker wires was not accurate. I found the wiring diagram for the car, and the meter was wrong.

How did you do it to find the pos and neg. This is really important as if you do it wrong, you will reverse polarity and the bass will be inconsistent as one woofer will move the opposite way as the other, canceling out the bass sound waves. Now, of course this is going into a line out converter and then the single subwoofer I am hooking up may have one rca opposite polarity of the other in the converter which will translate to sloppy bass sound. I need a wiring diagram for those rear speakers, and I am hoping that lml Frank lml has it correct. I will also run the meter and see if what lml Frank lml has said also is consistent with a multimeter test. Pea soup. Does this make sense to you guys?
voltage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 11:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

How about for the front speakers and tweeters? Which one are postive?
billyray11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.