does aux cable give worse sound quality? - Page 2 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Civic Style > I.C.E., Electrical, Security, & Navigation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 11:00 AM   #21 (permalink)

iphone and ipod are not audiophile grade...

$2000+ system is budget/low stereo system...I own MSRP of $1500 Adcom amp when it came out in 95....not including cables, speakers, speakers, pre-amp, and source...
Adcom is considered budget brand of amps among audio nuts....I do have 36 year old Mcintosh amp for sale in CL for $1000 if anyone is interested...even this Mc amp is considered low among Mc amps..

monster cables are not quality brand cables...MIT is brand cable costing hundreds to thousands and is well respect cable company among audio nuts...
devani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2010, 04:15 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devani View Post

$2000+ system is budget/low stereo system...I own MSRP of $1500 Adcom amp when it came out in 95....not including cables, speakers, speakers, pre-amp, and source...
Adcom is considered budget brand of amps among audio nuts....I do have 36 year old Mcintosh amp for sale in CL for $1000 if anyone is interested...even this Mc amp is considered low among Mc amps..

monster cables are not quality brand cables...MIT is brand cable costing hundreds to thousands and is well respect cable company among audio nuts...
im saying for normal people. and yes monster is high end. you're saying like super high end. monster and griffin give the same quality as a cd. i'd say that's good enough. plus better ones won't give better quality because the speakers aren't thousands of dollars
v1tal1y is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 06:40 PM   #23 (permalink)

Erin
Quote:

Great... another person with deep pockets has come to save the rest of us.

Tell me how any of your product name dropping is relevant to the current discussion.

And, yes, iphone & ipod are considered great, by many... even the beloved audiophiles. Look up wolfson DACs. Look up cirrus DACs. Look into the line out tests, look into THD tests... it's out there. You'll find that the ipod FR/THD results are excellent.

WHY in God's name would you pay more than a small bit for cables? Seriously... why? What is a cable supposed to do? Transmit signal.
What makes MIT cables so great? Is it their fancy doo-dads in the signal line that color the signal? Because, if so, there goes the 'true to the original' theory. I make my own cables. I understand the science behind it and have read papers on it... not just saw a price tag on cables and thought "man, those are expensive... must be great!".

Adcom is a perfectly fine company.... and your mcintosh amps are nothing more than a solidly built, sexy looking amplifier. You're not paying for sonics here. Hell, even Mcintosh themselves lay waste to voo-doo'ists.
FWIW, I'm still dying to get my hands on a good mcintosh mc252 just because it looks so darn beautiful.

Why are you preaching about home audio gear in a car audio forum? Just to drop names of gear you run? Sell your hoopla elsewhere. This section of the forum is for the people who want to learn. Buying expensive gear doesn't make you an audiophile. Just an fyi.

The mind of an audiophile... spend thousands on witchcraft and let marketing sell you on a product so you can brag about how little you know while the real audio enthusiasts study the science and do their own research.
IOW, until you come back with PROOF (see: tests/data) that can explain just why you're recommending what you're recommending, don't bother to name drop anymore. I'm not impressed. My friend is a recording engineer. He's got more $ tied up in his audio gear than most have in their homes. He does it for a living and will the first to shoot down audiophile myths.
bikinpunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2010, 08:31 AM   #24 (permalink)

well, since non-engineer like you won't understand things...besides I don't think your friend who is recording engineer actually have a degree in engineering from engineering major....

example couple of my friends do actual recording....they majored in bass and changed major to audio engineering (major in bass won't make money) and we don't consider them as true engineers...just musicians....

Audio engineering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia <----see education

I do actual electrical design and build ampilifiers for work and am into audio if I am not working, many of my friends can't even do a simple soldering....and yet they can't even talk about what kind of filters are utilized....that's something taught in electrical engineering class...

I do volunteer for mixing and recording but I make a living building the audio gears that your friend is using....

enough about me and my boring life....back to cables..

yes, cabling does matter only if that's the weakest link in the audio system whether is car or home....not everyone was born with perfect pitch but ears can be trained like any other parts in our body...

the weakest system could be the iphone (ipod), cables, amp, sound treatments or actual music itself....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
Great... another person with deep pockets has come to save the rest of us.

Tell me how any of your product name dropping is relevant to the current discussion.

And, yes, iphone & ipod are considered great, by many... even the beloved audiophiles. Look up wolfson DACs. Look up cirrus DACs. Look into the line out tests, look into THD tests... it's out there. You'll find that the ipod FR/THD results are excellent.

WHY in God's name would you pay more than a small bit for cables? Seriously... why? What is a cable supposed to do? Transmit signal.
What makes MIT cables so great? Is it their fancy doo-dads in the signal line that color the signal? Because, if so, there goes the 'true to the original' theory. I make my own cables. I understand the science behind it and have read papers on it... not just saw a price tag on cables and thought "man, those are expensive... must be great!".

Adcom is a perfectly fine company.... and your mcintosh amps are nothing more than a solidly built, sexy looking amplifier. You're not paying for sonics here. Hell, even Mcintosh themselves lay waste to voo-doo'ists.
FWIW, I'm still dying to get my hands on a good mcintosh mc252 just because it looks so darn beautiful.

Why are you preaching about home audio gear in a car audio forum? Just to drop names of gear you run? Sell your hoopla elsewhere. This section of the forum is for the people who want to learn. Buying expensive gear doesn't make you an audiophile. Just an fyi.

The mind of an audiophile... spend thousands on witchcraft and let marketing sell you on a product so you can brag about how little you know while the real audio enthusiasts study the science and do their own research.
IOW, until you come back with PROOF (see: tests/data) that can explain just why you're recommending what you're recommending, don't bother to name drop anymore. I'm not impressed. My friend is a recording engineer. He's got more $ tied up in his audio gear than most have in their homes. He does it for a living and will the first to shoot down audiophile myths.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #25 (permalink)

Erin
Quote:
well, since non-engineer like you won't understand things...besides I don't think your friend who is recording engineer actually have a degree in engineering from engineering major....
how about the guy actually records, masters, and produces the albums and is in the alabama hall of fame and owns his own studio:
Alabama Music Hall of Fame | S Achievers (Jeff Simpson)
Birdland Recording Studios - Birdland Recording Studios - HOME

I've got my BS in Aerospace Engineering. Not too hard to make the jump into the audio world, when you've studied signal analysis and work on it for DoD.

Ready to play ball or do you just want to keep dropping names and titles? You're not impressing me with jack. Enjoy your $10k cables.

So, now, tell me.... what is it exactly that your precious MIT cables do better than any other cables?

Last edited by bikinpunk; 09-16-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:04 PM   #26 (permalink)

so what do you do for living? and i dont edit my post
Old 09-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #27 (permalink)

Erin
I edited to add the guy's name in so you wouldn't just go to the HoF site and not know who I was talking about.
But, thanks for the snide reply.

I can't tell you what I do for a living. Not to be a jerk. Just can't. Literally... as in lawfully bound. The only thing I can say is what I've already said above.
I don't even get to tell my wife what I do. She just knows where I work.

And, still... where is your proof of how your mystical cables and amplifiers are so sonically superior to everything else? If you want to talk build, quality, etc, then I'll tag right along and say that mc gear is probably top notch and has the resale value because of that. Where is proportional meaning to anything you've added to this thread? Seriously... where did anyone ask anything about high dollar amplifiers for their home? You came into this thread expecting to get a pat on the back when you rattled off about your costly gear. You didn't.

Edit: Just to edit. Have fun with that.

Edit #2: The guy who sits next to me in the lab is an EE with a Masters in Electromagnetics. Since I sit next to him, does that make me an EE?

Last edited by bikinpunk; 09-16-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #28 (permalink)

Bodin
oh noes, my thread has started an engineer warrrrrrrrrrrr
boweldi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #29 (permalink)

Maybe we can start arguing about who has the most degrees?

How about who has the ugliest dog?

Seriously though ipods produce sound that is just fine for most everyone. The idea of paying big money for cables is fine for people with cash to throw away.

Looks like it is getting personal here between these two ... what's the point?
JohnHurley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2010, 06:41 PM   #30 (permalink)

Erin
my point was to dispel the idea that you have to spend big bucks to get good sound. simple as that.

I have no desire to brag about degrees... I don't find it really relevant. I know plenty of people who went to school and got a degree but they don't know their head from a hole in the ground.
Again, my point = getting rid of the voodoo ideas and the audiophile snobbery.
The other guy says that you have to spend big money and anything less is apparently frowned upon and doesn't sound as good. I disagree whole heartedly. Anyone with proper time and half a brain can figure this out for themselves.

Hope that helps clear things up.

- Erin

Edit: Since I am crapping all over this thread, I'll leave it where it is. I just hope anyone reading this doesn't think they need to spend $1000 on a cable to get good sound.

Last edited by bikinpunk; 09-16-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:30 PM   #31 (permalink)

Bodin
thanks guys i will now go buy the most expensive cable i can possibly find.

loljk. SD CARD SLOT FTW
boweldi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2010, 11:27 PM   #32 (permalink)

Hans Scherer
Quote:
I know plenty of people who went to school and got a degree but they don't know their head from a hole in the ground.
Ain't that the truth. Its unbelievable the number of masters or doctorate level engineers that I've had to argue rudimentary physics priniciples with... who don't know their head from their ass.

A degree implies someone went to school and received a piece of paper. It in no way gauges an idividual's intelect or ability.

- Hans

Last edited by HsOffRoad; 09-20-2010 at 01:30 PM.
HsOffRoad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 06:21 AM   #33 (permalink)

Elliot
RAWWWRRRR!!! ::ducks to avoid wires flying thru the air, then changes mind because i could totally pawn those for like $20::

jeez, i leave the forums for like....ok several months... and i come back and ihave to change diapers???

haha kidding of course(or am i?)

anyways! unless you have really good hearing or have trained yourself, honestly, most people are perfectly happy with the 8.99 special at best buy for whatever brand. if you are picky, i'd suggest using the usb cord...or, a cd, or a record(according to hans, not quite sure what it is, but i have a few points on mine)

hey hans! hey bikinpunk! hows life???

devani(NOOB! ), i regret to inform you im going to need your full address, and a 27' uhaul from NJ to WA for your board infractions!

did i mention i moved from baton rouge to olympia washington?

heres to thirsty thursdays! night all!

Last edited by Psychojuggalo17; 09-17-2010 at 06:23 AM.
Psychojuggalo17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 08:04 AM   #34 (permalink)

ok ok you win....i give up...
Old 09-17-2010, 05:20 PM   #35 (permalink)

moral of the story: a cable is a cable, no matter how you spin it and shield it. and unfortunately no matter how cool other brand's products are, it doesn't replace the science of actually understanding what goes into them.
jwb6658 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 10:35 PM   #36 (permalink)

eric
You guys dumping thousands of dollars into car audio (and paying a premium for auxiliary cables) need to get your priorities in order... a $10 belkin auxiliary cable from Wal-mart and any decent mp3 player (read: ipod, iphone, zune, creative zen) should be more than sufficient for car audio. Of course saying this makes me somewhat of a hypocrite, since I'm in this subforum to find out how much money I need to give up in order to integrate ipod control into my steering wheel.
enojy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2010, 09:36 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:

I have no desire to brag about degrees... I don't find it really relevant. I know plenty of people who went to school and got a degree but they don't know their head from a hole in the ground.

Relax man ... deep breath ... I was just kidding about the degrees ok? Just like I was kidding about who has the ugliest dog ...

Some of us are paying the bills for a kids in Catholic high schools because the public school systems are failing badly in most areas of the country. Some of us are making do with base sound systems with just a speaker upgrade.

It is all relative ... compared to people out of work ... so take a deep breath and enjoy whatever sound system that you do have.
JohnHurley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2010, 08:40 PM   #38 (permalink)

Erin
^ whu????.... I wasn't that bent out of shape to begin with.

I was just unemployed a few months ago. Luckily, I found a job quickly and enjoy it much more than the previous one.

No one said you had to have a badass system. In fact, I think I was the one saying you don't. Some people don't give a rip what their car stereo sounds like. Some do. I have a 1.5 hour round trip to/from work each day, so I spend a lot of time in my car. I gotta have tunes to make it through the day.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #39 (permalink)
Banned

From non audiophile this is what I have found out when connecting mp3 players to my aux in.

Black berry Bold 9700 - Loud and clear and power full

2 different iPod- Didn't get very loud and very flat sounding
holaback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2010, 09:18 PM   #40 (permalink)

John
I've been using my EVO 4G phone with Pandora to listen to music. I'm using a pretty thick 3.5 to 4 foot Dynex Aux cable.

Cable is great! bought it a while ago. Never really used it till now. I've been jamming out to pandora stations for like 2 months now. I have my phone's volume all the way up. I don't put my volume in my car stereo that loud either.

Last edited by Johnold; 10-09-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Johnold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.