Updated OEM Navigation DVD info (merged) - Page 4 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Civic Style > I.C.E., Electrical, Security, & Navigation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2007, 03:09 AM   #61 (permalink)

I'll buy when part of the updates includes making the nav voice speed sensitive like you can do with audio volume. Thats probably my biggest gripe about the system. Make it loud enough to comfortably hear on the highway, it's loud as f--- when you are at a standstill. Make it a comfortable volume at a stand still, you have to concentrate a little more to hear it going down the highway.

They really should of put RDS capability on FM too. Thats my other gripe. I'm pretty sure it requires a bit of hardware, so probly nothing software updateable unless the nav has what it needs physicly but just doesnt use it.

Maybe one of these days they'll straighten out the mess with POI's too. It's one thing to not have everything or show the occasional place that doesnt exist anymore. That is expected of course. What is messed up is when you search for a place, there could be many different spellings in the POI database thus hard to find a good match. Take Toys R Us for example since it has many possibilities. Search for "toys r us" and you get 1 set of matches. search for "toys-r-us", another different set of matches, search for "toysrus" yet another different set of matches, and so on. Throwing an "Inc" "Co" "LLC", things like that have the same affect. This often leads to matches hundreds of miles away at the closest unless you stumbled on the right way its listed in the nav the first time. They really should standardize the names, for the common stores and places at least anyways. Using POI to find a specific place is WORTHLESS on these units because of that. Only way to have any luck is to go by proximity and catagory then scrolling through the list till you find what you want. Of course that ends up more and more a pain the further out the place is since there is more and more to scroll through. For me, it makes me get on the internet and write down the address to input directly just about every time.
C17chief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2007, 07:34 AM   #62 (permalink)

Steve
^^Glad to know it's not just me! I've used the POI function a few times and it can work pretty good depending on what I was looking for but for the most part, I wasn't impressed with it. On one occasion, it gave me a list of several possibilities, the closest of which was 800 miles away!!!! What's with that?? On another, I was simply searching for the nearest gas station in Little Rock, Arkansas and wound up on some dead end road where I found NO gas station, or anything else for that matter. Fortunately, I wasnt' that hard up for gas at the time.

They could definitely improve this part of the programming without too much effort.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Intrepid175 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2007, 01:42 AM   #63 (permalink)

Unknown
Anyone know what those other menus are? The ones that show up when you press Map, Menu, and Cancel at the same time.

What does "car status" and "tire calibrate" tell you? I'm curious. I don't have my civic yet so I can't try.
EvilSardine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2007, 09:37 PM   #64 (permalink)

Steve
Just FYI folks, I finally broke down and ordered an update DVD for my nav system. I upgraded from 6.11 to 6.5?, don't remember the last digit. I inserted the DVD in the system and closed the display and it went through a somewhat lengthy download and update of the system programming. Took about 5 minute or so. It wasn't that bad, just did more than I was expecting.

Bottom line is, the system seems to work better. I can't say for the voice recognition issues I was having before as it had been doing Ok before the update and still is. What I've seen an improvement on so far is the system seems to be able to tell the difference between the freeway and the access road that parallel's the freeway much better than it used to. I've had a number of times that it would keep thinking I was on the access road when I was already on the freeway. It would tell me to enter the freeway, not recognising that I was already there and recalculate for the next on ramp. After 4 or 5 rounds of this dance, it gets old. Since the update, it's doing a lot better job of recognising my cars location on the road than it ever did before. I've not had a chance to try out any POI searches yet so I can't say whether or not that parts any better but the function of the system as I've used it so far is "much" better. I'm happy!

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:07 PM   #65 (permalink)
Crazy Yellow Puppet

Back and Forth Forever
Found within the FAQs for the Navi:

If I find an error in the database, how do I report it?

If the error pertains to a highway or "verified" main road (shown as dark-colored streets on the display), report it online at: http://update.navteq.com.

If the error involves a light- brown "unverified" road, do not report it. These areas are provided for reference only.

For errors in points of interest, keep in mind that the database may be out of date, depending on when the data was collected and when your DVD was purchased.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:45 PM   #66 (permalink)

Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronJr9
The head units are definitely different. I doubt a simple software upgrade would do any good. The hardware wouldn't be compatible. If you desperately need live traffic and weather updates, you'll have to look into upgrading your head unit. If you're going to do that, you might as well save some money and go aftermarket.
The DVDs from the other units work great. I have one in mine right now...
rmfa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2007, 04:47 PM   #67 (permalink)
Crazy Yellow Puppet

Back and Forth Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmfa
Which makes sense. Civics and CR-Vs (and maybe others?) use the same discs. But you don't have the live traffic or weather updates...right?
Old 07-11-2007, 03:02 PM   #68 (permalink)

Adam
Somebody want to alcohol 120 me a new one?
adamhoud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2007, 03:27 PM   #69 (permalink)

Michael Bringle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmfa
What colour and version do you have? I'm doing research to see if we can "unlock" functions.
mbringle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2007, 11:46 PM   #70 (permalink)

Someone put up the newest version on the net for us! A nice iso would be great!
Dutin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2007, 11:55 PM   #71 (permalink)

Nav - How do you DELETE an Address Book entry?

Does anyone know how to DELETE an Address Book entry in the Civic's nav system? Seems like it should be a simple thing to do, but, I haven't figured it out.
sizroch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2007, 12:02 AM   #72 (permalink)

Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizroch
Does anyone know how to DELETE an Address Book entry in the Civic's nav system? Seems like it should be a simple thing to do, but, I haven't figured it out.
Hi Sizroch,

It's not intuative but you have to go into "Setup." Choose "More, " then "Personal Information," then "Address Books," then select the appropriate address book and select the entry you want to delete and there should be a "delete" button on the lower left corner of the screen. You have to do each entry one at at time.

Good luck,
Steve R.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:05 PM   #73 (permalink)

Lewis Stephense
Is there anyway to dump an entire addressbook into the unit or do I have to enter all 400 something one at a time?

Thanks
km5bh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2007, 07:53 PM   #74 (permalink)

any one try the new 2008 Version 6.62?
Dutin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2007, 11:23 PM   #75 (permalink)

Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutin View Post
any one try the new 2008 Version 6.62?
?? I've got an '06 sedan w/nav and bought an update DVD earlier this year. I just checked the version number and my system reported 1.59.22 which is a LOT earlier than what you're asking about. Are you sure it's not 1.62? That just seems like one heck of a jump in version numbers. Just wondering!

In my case though, the new DVD updated the programming as well as the mapping in my nav unit and it routes and tracks my location much more precisely. Before, it seemed unable to tell the difference between the main freeway and the access road next to it. That would cause a LOT of unwarranted rerouteing and was very frustrating. The upgrade corrected that. So far, I can't tell if there's any significant difference in the maps themselves. FWIW!

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:04 AM   #76 (permalink)

Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronJr9 View Post
Which makes sense. Civics and CR-Vs (and maybe others?) use the same discs. But you don't have the live traffic or weather updates...right?
No, it didn't add anything new.
rmfa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2007, 07:44 AM   #77 (permalink)
Crazy Yellow Puppet

Back and Forth Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid175 View Post
?? I've got an '06 sedan w/nav and bought an update DVD earlier this year. I just checked the version number and my system reported 1.59.22 which is a LOT earlier than what you're asking about. Are you sure it's not 1.62? That just seems like one heck of a jump in version numbers. Just wondering!

In my case though, the new DVD updated the programming as well as the mapping in my nav unit and it routes and tracks my location much more precisely. Before, it seemed unable to tell the difference between the main freeway and the access road next to it. That would cause a LOT of unwarranted rerouteing and was very frustrating. The upgrade corrected that. So far, I can't tell if there's any significant difference in the maps themselves. FWIW!

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Steve, I think your version number is either 6.55 or 6.56. I'm not sure what the 1.59.22 number is. Check it out. Version 6.62 is available (but on back order).

https://store.alpine-usa.com/Hondadv.../naviorder.php

Quote:
Honda Navi DVD
Version 6.62
for 2006 Civic

We are currently on back order with the 6.62 version. We expect to have inventory around December 10, 2007.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:37 PM   #78 (permalink)

Steve
Quote:
Steve, I think your version number is either 6.55 or 6.56. I'm not sure what the 1.59.22 number is. Check it out. Version 6.62 is available (but on back order).

https://store.alpine-usa.com/Hondadv.../naviorder.php
Hi Cameron,

Thanks for the response. I probably am miss reading something. The 1.59 number is something I got off of my nav system. I'll double check it but I thought is was listed next to the "version" designation. Maybe I need to go a little deeper in the menu system. I'll let you know.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:07 PM   #79 (permalink)
Crazy Yellow Puppet

Back and Forth Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid175 View Post
Hi Cameron,

Thanks for the response. I probably am miss reading something. The 1.59 number is something I got off of my nav system. I'll double check it but I thought is was listed next to the "version" designation. Maybe I need to go a little deeper in the menu system. I'll let you know.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Not sure if it's in the menu or not. Just pull the DVD out for a second. It'll have the info written on it.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:49 PM   #80 (permalink)

Steve
Quote:
Not sure if it's in the menu or not. Just pull the DVD out for a second. It'll have the info written on it.
Gee, look at the DVD, what a concept!

The info I found is displayed by the system when you select "Setup," then "More," then "System Information." Mine then shows the following:

Database Country: United States
Database Version: 20060222
Software Version: 1.59.03 (this is what I thought they were talking about!)

Having said all of that, I took your suggestion and actually "looked" at the DVD itself (Duh!) and I've got version 6.56A! Considering that I've only had it for a couple of months, and am not unhappy with it as it's a definite improvement over the version it replaced, I won't bother investing another $180 to find out if 6.62 is any better, at least not for a while.

Thanks for helping me clear this up.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.