HONDATA REFLASH REVIEW - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > ECU Tuning Information > Hondata

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2006, 08:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
VIP Member

Marvie
HONDATA REFLASH REVIEW

Ok so i know many been waiting on this.

PERFORMANCE MODS ARE
Mugen high pressure radiator cap(supposedly helps cooling)
Hondata IMG
AEM CAI
Greddy Evo 2
Buddy Club racing spec condenser(supposedly helps)
upgraded grounds(supposedly helps)
anyway there are more but that's what mostly will help with the REFLASH. check my car domain. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216565

No need to go before and after...but straight to the after...cuz it's been covered time and time what the CAI and evo 2 etc. feel like.

REFLASH TIME
picked up today 4:30pm
got home 5:00pm
finished install 5:10pm
let car idle till 5:30pm
shut off....restart....took off for a "friendly" spin at 5:31pm
@6:00 i got on it
HOLY **** i need to do what i just did again
[(4th - 2nd @30something mph + a lil over 4200rpm) "ehem ehem" right before the switch over]...kept throttle steady and then punched it past the 4500 switch point....

A WHOLE DIFFERENT CAR(from what u'll be used to)
Why? The fact that you can hear and feel the difference soooo early in the range is not somthing u are used to and will come as a surprise that the car is behaving the way it is. LOVELY...the road is empty and i can take it all the way....passenger in the car(06 Si owner as welL)...forgot to include that...his mods are SRI, custom test pipe, dc catback and hondata img (954_K20...gill)

Back to the story....2nd gear allllllllllll the way to 8500/8600 rpm...it flies up there with ease..BUT...because u are not used to it going all the way up there it puzzling..a happy puzzling that u are going all the way up there and u haven't shifted yet....boy oh boy does this thing pull all the way up to there....at about 6000+rpm u'll definitely feel the increase if u are in tune with what your car used to be like before.

Shift to 3rd(extremely quick) and the car the rockets fwd like a bat out of hell(maybe a lil exaggeration)...but a shift to 3rd stock or prior to the reflash felt sometimes like the car hit a wall(will get to that in a minute)...so shift to third and it just keeps pulling all the way to 9000!!!!! Passenger (gill) was amazed...amazed cuz his car pulls fairly well as he is catless and he felt that it pulls a lot more(maybe...look on his face assumption) than what he though was good in his car(maybe he can describe the feeling also)....NO i didn't hit 9000rpm but the needle sure looked like it would get there no problem...may be an error in the tach but i'd say when i shifted the needle was like at at least 8700rpm....in the hodata reflash available thread(temple of vtec... www.vtec.net) it's explained why this is like that on either page 4.
Seeing the needle all the way up there though is amazing...and to top it off u can actually feel the car has power allllllll the way from bottom to top and wants more and can make more no doubt...

Shift to 4th and at that point we are both smiling...passenger was like WOW(maybe an exaggeration)...but he liked what he felt...Asked why does the car feel like it launches every time it shifts...i let of the clutch so quick and get on the gas soo fast, been like that from day one, and after the reflash was the first time it was so aggressive...it's not that it lurches...it's more like a get in ur seat feel...so 4th is going and pulling stronger than ever before...obviously....REFLASH(ding ding ding)...and i couldn't take it all the way cuz i was running out of space....

MY LAAAAAAWWWD...what have these people done to my mild mannered car....and i don't even have a race header yet! Now mind you i have basic mods...i think they come together really well...and it may also be my upgraded suspension adding to the feel of it all.

Scenario 2!
Ditched passenger....well not really...G/F was waiting on me...went inside....homeboy left...but then i couldn't resist i had to try couple other things....remember that wall in 3rd gear?

here goes....sometimes a back down from a higher gear to third felt like the car hit a wall and then started to pull...i had to try this.....

So i'm cruising around the street near my home in 6th at about 55...clutch....hit 3rd and OH BOY!...WALL? WHAT WALL? the car acted like i was at an up shift from 2nd to 3rd...it just picked up and got to the pulling like it couldn't wait...

Scenario 3....Cruising around at about 4000rpm in 4th...can't remember speed....never checked for speed in any of my little tests...but if i recall that's where the car sometimes bogs or hesitates...well well well....maybe it's still there...BUT...a big BUT....because...between 4000 and 4500 there's 500 rpm which flies by extremely fast....gets u into vtec(at full throttle) and you quickly forget or don't notice that so called hesitation...and concentrate on getting ur needle to that almost 9 point!

THERE IS A WINDOW! if u are cruising and not at full throttle and over 4500 u will not hit vtec...but the moment u get on it...it's a whole different car....almost like night or day...it louder, the revs fly up cuz u in the power band and u keep pulling all the way...

Some may have a let down as u can't feel the move to vtec like u did before...it is there but u really have to be in tune with it to feel it...despite that you WILL HEAR the difference and see it too.

In all i'm extremely satisfied...and i know i forgot to put a couple things in here but i tried soo much **** after getting into the car and can't remember it all....

That being said...there is still power to be made down low...my car obviously performs better than it did before...sound and feel...there's no denying it. it is there. But it doesn't stop there...there is power to be made cuz the car doesn't hit a wall anywhere...all the way to the limiter it feels like it wants to go some more and can take some more...

The car also still feels like it's running a little on the rich side...i don't know...but what i do know is the addition of a race header to increase that tq midrange and hp up top will be insane...INSANE!! INSANE INSANE...if the car feels like it is now....it will be pulling like crazy with the header...though i know not everyone wants a header...u'll be satisfied without it to...no doubt. I am..but just knowing there's more..i'm getting that header.

if u can afford it....get it. pulling to the top is the best feeling...the down low part without the header is a minimal difference...u can feel it but not that much...but pulling to the top u can feel a lot.

SO I'M A HAPPY MAN TODAY AND TILL I GET A HEADER...WHERE I WILL BE A HAPPIER MAN....I WILL BE HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY.

now off to get a race header!

Gill (954k20), maybe u can shed some more light.

Any questions?

Last edited by sickyute; 09-27-2006 at 08:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2006, 08:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

8thcivic.com member #15
This is a GREAT review. This helps me a lot. Thanks!
2fast4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2006, 08:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

lmao....I love putting pieces of sentences together to make a conclusive thought...

Another great review lol
skittleslegend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2006, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
VIP Member

Marvie
Quote:
Originally Posted by skittleslegend
lmao....I love putting pieces of sentences together to make a conclusive thought...

Another great review lol
LOL...
i was just typing exactly how it was and exactly what i was thinking at the time....not thought then put down... trying to give a true representation ..now if it was a paper for school i would be a lot different...
i bet u got the point though.
sickyute is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2006, 08:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

i think ur write-ups r the best u always give good and descriptive detail. u still gon hav to give me a ride.
bizzybearfigiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2006, 09:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

yes, i was in the car and must say, that it is night and day! the revs shoot up and don't want to give. I seen the needle climb really close if not bouncing 9000 rpms!!! I know that once he frees up some of that trapped exhaust gas by eliminating the cat with the race header, that his car will pull much much harder!!! I definately can't wait to do my reflash, as my car is already prepped for it!!! I will dyno after i get the reflash, looking for 230 whp!!
954K20_SI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2006, 09:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Not Listed.

Wow, I still cant believe it marvie..you got that reflash..

All Hail Sickyute..
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2006, 10:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Wow!! I cant hardly wait till I start modding my Si. I want some videos!!!
audibleforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2006, 11:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Kevin
I guess I need to start saving! : )
SiGuy888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2006, 11:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickyute
LOL...
i was just typing exactly how it was and exactly what i was thinking at the time....not thought then put down... trying to give a true representation ..now if it was a paper for school i would be a lot different...
i bet u got the point though.
Yessir...

so is it addictive? I bet it is...hehe...
skittleslegend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2006, 11:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
VIP Member

Marvie
Quote:
Originally Posted by skittleslegend
Yessir...

so is it addictive? I bet it is...hehe...
not really addictive...but it sure is nice to hit the throttle anytime after 4500 and hear that sucker scream...not just scream but also move.
it will get addictive the more i drive though...i can feel it...it gives a confidence that u can do pretty much anything against another car....false hope kinda...but i'm not stupid.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:04 AM   #12 (permalink)

I can't understand why anybody would want to reprogram their ECU to switch to the high profile cams at 4500 rpm. Honda designed the engine the way they did for a reason. You're basically removing the "i" from i-VTEC. The fact that you didn't feel anything at switchover and it just got louder proves my point that it is a useless (and possibly damaging) mod.
eric3621 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2006, 12:05 AM   #13 (permalink)

Being new to Hondas, Ive got to ask, about how much would it cost one to get the mods to make the reflash useful?
CMByrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2006, 12:09 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3621
I can't understand why anybody would want to reprogram their ECU to switch to the high profile cams at 4500 rpm. Honda designed the engine the way they did for a reason. You're basically removing the "i" from i-VTEC. The fact that you didn't feel anything at switchover and it just got louder proves my point that it is a useless (and possibly damaging) mod.

I dont see how reflashing the ECU is damaging anything. All it is doing is changing the rpm that the vtec kicks in and increasing the redline. Nothing dangerous there
That_Si_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2006, 12:12 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMByrd
Being new to Hondas, Ive got to ask, about how much would it cost one to get the mods to make the reflash useful?
Check out the 8thcivic store;

http://www.8thcivic.com/store/index.php

From there you can put a list of what you need in order to get a reflash. Intake, exhaust, and headers wont run you too much, under 800 bucks Im guessing off the top of my head.
That_Si_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2006, 12:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
VIP Member

Marvie
Quote:
you are crazy...the reason why u don't feel the kick in vtec at the switchover is because:
1. the power curve is broader
2. there is no dip in HP before vtec kicks..it just keeps rising
3. that is the way to maximize power...
etc. etc.
the reflash isn't dmaging anything...and if u didn't know...if u don't go WOT u won't be in vtec at 4500.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:18 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Si_Guy
I dont see how reflashing the ECU is damaging anything. All it is doing is changing the rpm that the vtec kicks in and increasing the redline. Nothing dangerous there
The rev limiter in the stock Si kicks in at 8500 rpm. Honda's engineers determined that that was as high as the engine should be safely revved to. You install a program which disregards this limit and arbitrarily raises it without any internal engine modifications. That seems like a GOOD idea?

And the high profile cams are DESIGNED to be used at HIGH rpm, when the car needs a higher air/fuel mixture. Engaging them at low rpm does nothing but make noise and waste gas.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:23 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickyute
you are crazy...the reason why u don't feel the kick in vtec at the switchover is because:
1. the power curve is broader
2. there is no dip in HP before vtec kicks..it just keeps rising
3. that is the way to maximize power...
etc. etc.
the reflash isn't dmaging anything...and if u didn't know...if u don't go WOT u won't be in vtec at 4500.
1. The power curve is broader, so you don't feel any power increase. That's a GOOD thing?

2. I haven't seen any dyno charts on the reflash so I can't verify what you are claiming here.

3. How does engaging a high rpm cam at low rpm "maximize" power? Again I'd need to see an actual dyno chart to verify that.

I didn't say that the reflash IS damaging, only that it might be. I don't know, it just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
VIP Member

Marvie
Quote:
1. The power curve is broader, so you don't feel any power increase. That's a GOOD thing?

2. I haven't seen any dyno charts on the reflash so I can't verify what you are claiming here.

3. How does engaging a high rpm cam at low rpm "maximize" power? Again I'd need to see an actual dyno chart to verify that.

I didn't say that the reflash IS damaging, only that it might be. I don't know, it just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
http://www.hondata.com/reflash_06_civicsi.html
Old 06-03-2006, 12:34 AM   #20 (permalink)

*All Motor Beast*
hey we goin ridin wed. nite marvie!!!! i got shotgun!!!!!
civicsi1217 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.