Flash Pro Problems. - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > ECU Tuning Information > Hondata

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 02:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Flash Pro Problems.

okay. i'm picking up a civic tomorrow. boosted r18a1 running flash pro. the guy said i need to put the maf sensor back in the get it to go over 3500 rpms but can i just run it off of the map sensor? he's got an intake air temp sensor wired into the intake. i need to know if i got to put this maf sensor in the intake or i can work around it. he's already got the upgraded hondata map sensor in it,\. any help asap would be nice. thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Andrew
Sorry I didn't see this till now... I F'f up my forum view at work.

What is the problem again?? Are you buying the turbo'd car but he's removing the flashpro?

I'll give you 2 answers... If he's removing the flashpro and the car has a stock engine, but is turbo'd and has no MAF sensor then it's going to be in limp mode when you attempt to drive it... The ECU is missing it's main source of input, it's "eyes" so to say, so it's going to run in a safe mode, which as he said won't let you rev high. In a pinch you can drive it like this, but you really don't want to. DO NOT attempt to boost, if you're driving it home then drive it like a granny... hold people behind you up. Been there, done that. Not ideal, but we all do what we want.

If it still has the flashpro attached, proper tune loaded and won't rev past 3500... then I don't know what to say... something is causing it to go in limp mode, I'd be skeptical of why. More info would be good, but I see we are short on time.
volvo9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 04:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

the flash pro in staying in the car. he's giving me everything with it. basically what is up is that he doesn't have the maf sensor connected or in the intake piping. just has a 4 bar map and an intake temp sonsor. he said all i have to do is put the maf sensor in the piping and it will rev past 3500 and hit full boost. basically i want to know if i put the sensor in the piping will it be tunable and fully driveable?
Preludeguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Andrew
It should be if everything is good with the car... But my massive question is WHY is it not there in the first place!? I just looked up the R18 flashpro and it only supports MAF based tuning, so it's not like the Civic Si flahspro where you can load a MAP tune and completely remove the MAF sensor and have a 100% operational car. The MAF is required on the R18... so I'm REALLY confused as to why he's selling this car with a major sensor gone?

Is it a build in progress? understandable, he got it wrong and it needs to be fixed but then you can assume it's probably never been put through it's paces yet.

Did the sensor break? If it did it should still be in the intake... again, why replace the intake with one that won't work?

If there isn't more to this story then it seems sketchy to me.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo9 View Post
It should be if everything is good with the car... But my massive question is WHY is it not there in the first place!? I just looked up the R18 flashpro and it only supports MAF based tuning, so it's not like the Civic Si flahspro where you can load a MAP tune and completely remove the MAF sensor and have a 100% operational car. The MAF is required on the R18... so I'm REALLY confused as to why he's selling this car with a major sensor gone?
that answers my question right there. but he was still in the process of building it. so since i have to put the sensor back in do you think i should put it in the intake before the turbo which would be really easy or put it after the turbo right before the throttle body? any easy way you recommend doing it? i would assume right before the TB but i'm not a professional.
Preludeguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Andrew
ok, it all makes sense now! I really didn't want you to get burnt on a deal.

I'm not a big turbo guy, but in the prior turbo cars I've owned (older Volvos) the AFM is always before the turbo. I don't think it can get an accurate reading of compressed air since it's density changes. But I can be completely wrong.

Before you put the maf in do some poking around and searching in the turbo section of this forum. You need to make sure the maf has a good home in the intake, you can't just pop it in anywhere, it needs a smooth flow of air across it. I don't think tubing diameter will mater since you will be able to calibrate the maf with your flashpro, but in a stock vehicle it does. Double check on all that though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.