DIY Defouler - Page 3 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Bolt-Ons And All-Motor > Header Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 07:35 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitrousG35 View Post
Contact either Robear or SCTuned. Both said they would get on it and try and provide angled defoulers for sale.

thanks again...
geffsi111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2008, 04:31 PM   #42 (permalink)

Location: When all our tears have reached the sea Part of you will live in me Way down deep inside my heart
I am the Juggernaut!!!
I thought the Strutking price was crap but now that they don't sell this anymore for some reason the price went up another $15. WTF is up with that!!! I wouldn't pay $30 for it before & there is no chance in hell that I would pay $45 for it now.
02civicsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2008, 05:15 PM   #43 (permalink)

I already my vibrant race header w/ hfc...so maybe I will wait and see if the CEL light comes on........................ or purchase a defouler now??????
Stealthcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2008, 08:16 PM   #44 (permalink)

C J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthcivic View Post
I already my vibrant race header w/ hfc...so maybe I will wait and see if the CEL light comes on........................ or purchase a defouler now??????
Well i have the bcrh, cat-delete and I havent thrown a cel yet... granted its not completely on, i have a small small leak cuz i have the wrong gasket on it but still, no cel.
oHsevenGG_Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2008, 08:31 PM   #45 (permalink)
VIP Member

Mike
I just installed my DCRH with the DIY defouler setup and it works awesome. I've put on about 35 miles with nothing yet. Knock on wood. I'm pretty sure I will not have any problems. But the difference with the header is unbelieveable. The low end tourque is great and Vtec is awesome.
soxfan143 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2008, 04:32 AM   #46 (permalink)

C J
Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan143 View Post
I just installed my DCRH with the DIY defouler setup and it works awesome. I've put on about 35 miles with nothing yet. Knock on wood. I'm pretty sure I will not have any problems. But the difference with the header is unbelieveable. The low end tourque is great and Vtec is awesome.
i should've knocked on wood. just threw a cel as i was driving home jus now. yay me.
oHsevenGG_Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2008, 09:57 AM   #47 (permalink)

Bryan
went over 10k with no cel with dcrh and diy defouler Never had a cel just took the header off over the weekend

oh and here you go bitches Forums -> Mechanical O2 Simulator
NcSi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #48 (permalink)

Bryan
this is for you lazy mofo's

note a defouler is only need for the downstream(where cat normally would be) o2 sensor
NcSi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2008, 12:49 PM   #49 (permalink)

I have been thinking about this issue quite a bit recently and I have a theory regarding the use of defoulers and Vibrant headers with high-flow cats. From the information I have seen, CEL problems are hit or miss for people that have this header. What this leads me to believe is that the HFC brings the emission levels of the vehicle to a point that is right on the border of throwing a CEL, making it a coin toss as to whether or not a code will be thrown. Given that a defouler is meant to bring the oxygen sensor away from the stream of exhaust, it makes sense to me that in a HFC installation (more specifically with the Vibrant header), that ultimately less deflection of exhaust gases is needed than a catless setup.

So here's my theory for a DIY defouler. Rather than using two of the "Help!" defoulers stacked on each other (causing clearance issues), one defouler that has been drilled out can be used. I haven't seen how long the tip of the oxygen snsor is, but my thought is that the end of the tip would be exposed to the direct stream of exhaust while most of the tip (with 90% of metering capability) would be deflected. It wouldn't make a huge difference, but it might make enough of one for people that are running HFC's and don't want to fork out the money for an angled defouler.

Has anybody thought of or tried this? Any thoughts?

Last edited by jaybirn; 03-01-2008 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity
jaybirn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #50 (permalink)
VIP Member

Mike
When I drilled out my defouler for my race header I left the small opening on both my deoulers. I stopped drilling about 1 or 2 mm before the bit went through so there is plenty of room for the O2 sensor to fit but the hole at the base is the original size. I wanted to make SURE I wasn't going to get a CEL by doing this and it worked great.

Your theory is good. You can use just one by doing this. All you have to do is stop drilling right before you're about to get through the other side. I used a bench vise to keep the defouler from moving while I did it.
soxfan143 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2008, 08:14 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
When I drilled out my defouler for my race header I left the small opening on both my deoulers. I stopped drilling about 1 or 2 mm before the bit went through so there is plenty of room for the O2 sensor to fit but the hole at the base is the original size. I wanted to make SURE I wasn't going to get a CEL by doing this and it worked great.

Your theory is good. You can use just one by doing this. All you have to do is stop drilling right before you're about to get through the other side. I used a bench vise to keep the defouler from moving while I did it.
any pics of this?
ezcivic type r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2008, 08:21 PM   #52 (permalink)

CT Powered!
I got my Weapon R defouler today...mmm..."F" this greenpeace!

here are some pics and size info....Cars and rants
onefastsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2008, 08:27 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastsi View Post
I got my Weapon R defouler today...mmm..."F" this greenpeace!

here are some pics and size info....Cars and rants
have you installed it yet? how is the clearance on that? you have the vibrant RH right?
Old 03-01-2008, 08:30 PM   #54 (permalink)

CT Powered!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezcivic type r View Post
have you installed it yet? how is the clearance on that? you have the vibrant RH right?
man, do you guys just look at the pictures!!?? When I get playboy, I only read the articles...I swear!!
Old 03-01-2008, 08:33 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastsi View Post
man, do you guys just look at the pictures!!?? When I get playboy, I only read the articles...I swear!!
LOL, yeah I only looked at the pics. my bad.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:35 PM   #56 (permalink)

CT Powered!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezcivic type r View Post
LOL, yeah I only looked at the pics. my bad.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:23 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:

Ah man I went through and drilled out my first defouler all the way. When I install my header tomorrow I'm going to try mine and see how it goes (and post up results). If it doesn't work I'll try it other ways (specifically, how you reccomended). Gotta love the $4 pack of defoulers!

Oh, and I put the one I drilled in a vise too
jaybirn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2008, 09:46 PM   #58 (permalink)

shane
i'm gonna ask a kooky question.

i was lookin at the pics of the diy and it looks like the o2 sensor sits almost flush with the base of the nonfouler which is the reason to drill one out not to bottom out the o2 and break it. has anyone thought of not drilling the nonfouler and just use a couple of washers between the o2 sensor and the nonfouler?

i know that 2 is prolly needed to get the o2 sensor far enough out of the main exhaust stream but i had to ask.
nandro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2008, 09:50 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandro View Post
i'm gonna ask a kooky question.

i was lookin at the pics of the diy and it looks like the o2 sensor sits almost flush with the base of the nonfouler which is the reason to drill one out not to bottom out the o2 and break it. has anyone thought of not drilling the nonfouler and just use a couple of washers between the o2 sensor and the nonfouler?

i know that 2 is prolly needed to get the o2 sensor far enough out of the main exhaust stream but i had to ask.
very interesting
Old 03-01-2008, 09:52 PM   #60 (permalink)

Subscribed. I really don't feel like paying almost $50 for this, so if the cheap ones work
BRSi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.