8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Considering 8th Gen Si Or....

3K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  Aurablade77 
#1 ·
Sup! I currently drive a 02 Nissan SE-R Spec V but I am considering to upgrade to a newer car. My car is approaching 200k and not sure if I would bother selling it, but I am saving up nonetheless.

I have always wanted an S2k(either AP1 or AP2) but my concerns with that are the ability to daily drive it, barely having any storage, needing a hardtop for security(another budget issue), and snow driving....My other alternative would be an 8th gen Si coupe(I do not like the 9th gen as much....Not sure how much the Civic forum community here feels as well). I find the 8th gen to be more special and I wouldn't have much of an issue finding one compared to an S2k.

Now that the Type R is coming(Is there any news/rumors of the form it will take?? I'd love for it to be the sedan as seen in the spy shots revealed not too long ago) along with this rumored "baby NSX"/S2k, I was wondering if you all think I should wait for what they will materialize into or finding an 8th gen Si or a used S2k would be worth it. I know the S2k will be/is a classic and I feel strongly I should take the chance to get one.

I don't feel any fun or excitement driving my car anymore though I have been driving it for 8 years at this point.....For a 4 cyl compact sporty car I HATE the heavy, mushy clutch and clunky shifter/transmission. This was a highly negative aspect of the 2002-2005 Sentra SE-R's in pretty much every automotive publication. I did not choose the car, it was transferred in my family

Hondas have always fit my driving wants and style(high revving, smooth shifting, connection with driver). Not to mention much better aftermarket support

Any input would be great, Thanks:wavey:

Some shots of my car along with a friend's Scion tC RS 8.0(Bye Bye Scion): Spring PhotoShoot w/ Scion tC Release Series 8.0

See less See more
#3 ·
+1 one for the 8th gen over an S2K. While I will own an AP1 S2000 one day, my fa5 is the perfect blend of fun and practicality for my current situation (I work with kids, and frequently have to transport them, requiring use of the backseat). I tend to think of the car as a FWD, 4 door s2000. In my experience, the driving experience is very similar, minus the dynamic of FWD and RWD, and the convertible aspect. Others who have driven both, My father included, (who owns an AP1,) agrees with me.

#4 ·
s2k vs fg/fa is more of a practicability question, both are great cars that perform well but the s2k is limited with only two seats. Being a fa5 owner im biased toward the civic but if you can fit in a s2k comfortably and usually ride solo its the better choice. I had a 03 spec v before my civic.. a lot of great memories driving that car.

#6 ·
I have a FA5. I love it. There's some mods you should get from the jump (CMC, mounts, etc.) for a better driving experience, and IMO it seems like the sedan got more love than the coupe did. It's a very practical car as well. I can fit ikea furniture in it and also cram a bunch of computer equipment for work.

#8 · (Edited)
My buddy has a S2k and he let me drive it when I first bought my Si. Stock for stock the power is exactly the same, or at least in my opinion. I love RWD and the ****pit feel of the S2k, but the FG2 or FA5 is a little more practical in terms of space and comfort.

As for winter driving, I haven't driven my Si in snow yet, and we get a ton where I am at because of lake effect. I leave that to my Subaru. But it sounds like you have an idea of what you want already, just get what makes you happy man!

#9 ·
Haha no Im still torn between the two.....is that your car in that pic? Looks sweet!

I live in MD so we get snow, but I have my other family's cars for conditions where I have to drive out when the roads are bad. I'm afraid of regretting getting an Si once the Type R comes out and then I feel like it would be less relevant sort of speak.

#11 ·
I recently picked up a 2009 Acura CSX Type S (Basically a 4 door Civic SI). I test drove quite a few cars but this one stood out. Canadian winter driving on the OEM all season tires has been OK because of the limited slip differential. At 6'4" I fit up front and I prefer a 4 door layout on most cars. Power is good when you get the revs up and shifting is smooth (I have read quite a few people experience shifting issues with the 6 speed manuals).

Overall very happy with my purchase.

#22 ·
Not at this time. My budget isn't that finalized yet but yes I love the Si and S2k.

When I finish school and get a great job there will be many cars I'll consider but that is still far away. I'd love the new WRX/STI or Civic Type R when it comes out but I'm sure other choices will pop up in the future. I love all cars!

#23 ·
not an s2k but I DD a miata for 2 years. with a rwd sports car like an s2k/miata snow tires are pretty much a must if you live in the northern areas. I did 1 winter on all seasons which wasnt so bad but on the heavier snow days they just didnt cut it, even my torsen lsd wasnt much of a help.

my biggest grip is the lack of interior room with a 2 seater. anytime I had to pick up something bigger than a gallon of milk I had to use my wifes suv lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.