Thinking about jumping into an FRS? Opinions? Owners? - Page 2 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Welcome > Garage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 12:10 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryker View Post
Any lease or even new car purchase is a waste.

You said what your dad thought but what did you like about the frs?
I never understood why people think buying a new car is a waste.

If you buy a car new and tried to sell it the next day, then yeah you'd lose a lot of money. But if you kept it for 5 years or more, then the overall rate of depreciation is about the same.
fecurtis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #22 (permalink)

There was a couple of used FRS in my area, with like 2300 miles and 5000 miles, to me that's a total waste and a impulse buy if I ever saw one.
sml-2727 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #23 (permalink)

I stand corrected 3300 miles
2013 Scion FR-S Base, $23,995 - Cars.com
sml-2727 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #24 (permalink)

Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08civlx View Post
too small yes but too little power? wtf??

its lighter than a civic and has more power and the civic has plenty of power for a dd.....its a perfect city car and has enough power for the highway (civic) so why wouldnt the frs/brz?

you make no sense with what you said.
the FRS does not have more power than the new Civic Si
StatuatoryGrapes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
I never understood why people think buying a new car is a waste.

If you buy a car new and tried to sell it the next day, then yeah you'd lose a lot of money. But if you kept it for 5 years or more, then the overall rate of depreciation is about the same.
However of you purchased a day old car you would save 15-30% in loss of value. Then they have a more stable to gradual decline in value.

Many fully loaded cars and most luxury brands drop value very quickly in the first year of ownership.

The loss in value is even greater on a new car that's sold with hyped up prices
ryker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
I stand corrected 3300 miles
2013 Scion FR-S Base, $23,995 - Cars.com
Impulse buy with buyers remorse as they learned the power doesnt match the looks.

Quite a few of these used cars on the market- Which doesn't support the hype of this being the best car since the model T.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #27 (permalink)
Quail Man!

Nick
i just hate the thought of buying a used sports car
GETxERxDONE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryker View Post
However of you purchased a day old car you would save 15-30% in loss of value. Then they have a more stable to gradual decline in value.

Many fully loaded cars and most luxury brands drop value very quickly in the first year of ownership.

The loss in value is even greater on a new car that's sold with hyped up prices
But that's the thing, no one sells a car a day after they bought it. Plus the average depreciation "right off the lot" is about 11% (Depreciation Infographic: How Fast Does My New Car Lose Value?).

I'm only saying, if you plan on keeping a car for a long time, it really doesn't matter if you buy it new or used.

Plus there's additional perks of buying new (longer warranty, depending on brand/dealer, free scheduled maintenance for x years and z miles, the comfort of knowing that no one mistreated the car prior to you buying it, etc), so it really depends on other variables as well. And if you plan on driving it until the wheels fall off, then it really doesn't matter at all.

However, if you are the type to keep a car for a couple years, get tired of it, and move on, then you'll have to carefully consider buying new vs. used.
fecurtis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 05:57 AM   #29 (permalink)

The average 11% loss is after just one minute of ownership. You just paid 2500-3000$ to say you bought a new car. I said one day but it could be one month or one year- then the loss in value is average 20%. This is average number. As I said many fully loaded cars and luxury brands drop even quicker.

Often with the factory certified pre-owned cars they come with a longer/better warranty than new, at a premium price.

Mistreated car- unless its a manual trans or a teenager your not going to have that much wear in a car with less than 10k miles. Now 50k on a car with wrong oil grade and bad oil change frequency, yes some wear. Just ask for service records.

Very very few people keep a car for more than 4 years.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #30 (permalink)

Thinking about jumping into an FRS? Opinions? Owners?

i would never get an frs ^_^

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Chiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.