S2K vs SH - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Welcome > Garage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

S2K vs SH

Looking to purchase a fun summer time toy, number of seats, doors, fuel economy are not a concern as i have another vehicle for primary use.

Ive always wanted a prelude while growing up, especially the SIR/SRV model, however they seem to be getting older and harder to find, so i can settle on a nice SH model.
However, im thinking maybe i should just spend a little more, and look into getting a Ap1 s2k. I know it will be killler in performance and having a droptop is a slight plus. However, i read many reviews stating that in normal driving(under 5K rpm) the s2k really isnt any faster then the lude, engine size and torque outputs are similar and in terms of "comforts and refinement" the lude may even be a notch higher then the s2000, mainly because it isn't a roadster.

Anyone have actual experience owning one of these two cars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
VIP Member

Gary
no DRIVING them, but ive ridden in an s2k and i will say the damn thing seemed super fun for a weekend toy... IDK, i suppose this is a little bit of assumption and conjecture, but the s2k seems like it would be a better weekend toy platform... either way gl with your search..
killswitch21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sam
I just picked an ap1 and I love it. Very fun and fast. Handling is amazing. Great weekend car but for me it gets to be my daily driver
so0fresh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

I driven both. the S2k is much more fun to drive. the steering in the ap1 is amazing. they arent the fastest but ther are a ton of mods available and the S2k looks amazing. my mom had a 97 prelude that a drove a lot. the prelude is nice but it would be better as a daily driver.the S2k would be a really fun toy.
Nismothecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Stephen
Nothing i've driven or rode in matches how fun the s2k is to drive. doesn't even matter if it's fast or not.
w00t692 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Paul
(Summer + toy)/Car = Roadster

Perhaps a used Boxter could be considered as well.
Sirbelch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

CFL=Cavaliers for life
I have a SH Prelude. It handles well. You can pick up a nice used one for around $5,000. If it's just a fun can then you'd probably appreciate the S2K more.
Fishstix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

s2k duh
iamchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

David
Can this be a serious question?

2 completely different cars, in no way comparable, not even in the same price range.

Wtf
David21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 01:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pks17 View Post
Looking to purchase a fun summer time toy, number of seats, doors, fuel economy are not a concern as i have another vehicle for primary use.

Ive always wanted a prelude while growing up, especially the SIR/SRV model, however they seem to be getting older and harder to find, so i can settle on a nice SH model.
However, im thinking maybe i should just spend a little more, and look into getting a Ap1 s2k. I know it will be killler in performance and having a droptop is a slight plus. However, i read many reviews stating that in normal driving(under 5K rpm) the s2k really isnt any faster then the lude, engine size and torque outputs are similar and in terms of "comforts and refinement" the lude may even be a notch higher then the s2000, mainly because it isn't a roadster.

Anyone have actual experience owning one of these two cars?
This one is like choosing between a super model and the girl next door

The S2k is the supermodel you want to be seen with, that is exciting in bed and offers the most grins per mile

The SH by comparison also has a ****** but honestly.....ho hum driving experience, performance and excitement.....

The goal of the weekend car is to maximize the FUN and EXCITEMENT of the weekend.....dropping the top, WOT vtec, razor sharp reflexes....the S2k was made for sunny weekend canyon runs....no contest here really

S2k =

SH =
SergEK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 04:01 AM   #11 (permalink)

Nathaniel C. Santos
S2K hands down is what i would take. it is all around a better vehicle, and a much sexier vehicle as well.
SI Nastay Nate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 04:15 AM   #12 (permalink)

Stephen
I've driven both the ap1/2 s2000s and a prelude. IMHO the prelude shoulda been an Acura. It's a nice car to drive around in but doesn't offer any real excitement. Much like most of Acura's lineup minus the integra/rsx. I wasn't at all impressed with the handling of the prelude. Felt almost like the typical American car; big, sluggish, dull steering response. The s2000 is quite simply, the opposite. Only qualm from me is the lack of space. But if its just a weekend warrior you want, I think the choice is obvious...

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Ivtecdou? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #13 (permalink)

Paul
Wasn't the first gen Acura CL based on the prelude?
Sirbelch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 12:10 AM   #14 (permalink)
Jo-Von-E

Jhovany M.
Get the deuce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto619 View Post
vit twerks???
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0720Steve View Post
he taught miley.
Geovone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 02:34 AM   #15 (permalink)

s2000.
Long_John is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
VIP Member

Greg Porter
S2000 for sure, but I would try and get an AP2
greg porter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #17 (permalink)

Rich
S2K all the way
RitcheyRch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

Well the only reason im considering the lude is because of its lower price.
Not only that, but im also looking for some refinement as well as performance, and from what ive read/heard the prelude may rival the s2k roadster in this aspect.
Things about the s2000 that turn me off. Low torque, high redline. road/wind noise coming into cabin from soft top, rattles from rooftop latches, and weak factory stereo.

Last edited by pks17; 12-03-2012 at 02:49 PM.
pks17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
Does this do anything?

Scott
My old man bought an S2000 back in 01 brand new, and we still have it today, with a whopping 11k miles on it. It is a brilliant car to drive, as long as you're driving it fast. Around the city, its still a great car to drive, but its a bear. The lack of a bottom end means you're constantly rowing gears, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as that transmission is a work of art. The high redline isn't much of an issue, its actually really useful, as you don't always have to take it to nine grand, but the option is there if you want to pull out into traffic and make it up to 40 mph without shifting.

As for the refinement, its pretty much non-existent. Honestly, its difficult to say whether my Mom's FJ Cruiser or the S2000 is less refined, and the damn FJ doesn't even have carpet. I've never had noticeable wind noise or rattles from the roof, but I can't say as though I've ever driven or ridden in the car with the roof up more than once or twice. It also helps that the car has 11k miles on it and has spent its entire left rotting away in a garage. As I recall, the stock stereo does suck. Its pretty much useless when you are cruising with the top down, which might explain why I haven't bothered to find the anti-theft code for it after I replaced the battery 3 years ago. Also, the ride on anything resembling a rough road sucks, but the first time you take the car around a tight corner on a winding road, you tend to forget about creature comforts like suspension and legroom and cupholders and tires that last more than 10k miles.

I've never had a Prelude, but I'd feel confident saying that there's no way in hell that it could be anywhere near as fun to drive as the S2000.
leveldowen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #20 (permalink)

David
Ap2 s2000 is alot different than the 01
David21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.