Subaru WRX Vent... - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Welcome > Garage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Tim
Subaru WRX Vent...

So I've got to get this off of my chest...

After looking through quite a few threads on here I have noticed that there is a TON of WRX love going on and I really don't understand it. Everyone seems to praise the WRX and make it seem like it's truly so amazing. I went from a 2007 Si (2 door) to a 2009 WRX (hatch) and after a few months I was completely MISERABLE!! Yes, the car is crazy fast but other than that, they are junk in my opinion.

Yes, Honda has some bad/cheap paint but the paint on my WRX was terrible! Not only did I have chipping issues, I also had spider web style cracking, and rust/rail-dust specs all over the damn thing that I would spend 3hrs. removing, only to have them return a week later. Besides that, the handling is terrible... the interior quality is pretty bad-- I had TONS of rattles going on in mine, the stereo sucks @$$, etc. Also the transmission is so, so bad. It's so notchy and sloppy, it's ridiculous! And the engine is hardly reliable... again, it's fast, but I don't trust it at all.

After owning my WRX for a little over a year I had to get out of it and I wanted back in an Si so badly, especially before the 2012 model came out because I knew it was going to be terrible before they even revealed it. I'm so happy that I got back into a 2011 Si (4 door). In my opinion the car is so much more comfortable, reliable, fun to drive, better handling, better standard features, the list goes on and on... it's just not as fast as the WRX, but it's a quick fun car.

I look at the 2011-2012 WRX's with the new wide body style and I love the way they look. I see them quite a bit in my area and in a way I get jealous because it's such a great looking car and living in CNY at time I'd love to have AWD again but then I remember how terrible the car is (IMO) deep down. It has honestly made me scared to buy another Subaru, ever! My cousin also had a 2009 WRX (4 door) at the same time I had mine and right after I traded mine in, his turbo blew and he had a b*tch of a time trying to get Subaru to repair it under warranty. Just another thing to add to the negative pile for me...

Sorry for the long rant, but I had to get it off of my chest and honestly see why people are so in love with the WRX. Again, I love the looks and really really wish it was a better car and more reliable but it's just not. Having a fast car isn't everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
VIP Member

Honduh all day
chatttownstunna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
ಠ_ಠ

snizzletoff
the reason people praise the WRX is because its a nice step up from the cars they have. An SI to a WRX in most cases is a very good upgrade. 100 hp almost if you go from stock to stock, the SI handles pretty well for a FWD car but both can handle much better with a nice suspension set up. They come factory turbo'ed and are much easier to extract extra horsepower. Mods may be expensive for them but at least you get a larger gain when you fork out for them. I don't love subies by any means but they seem like a decent upgrade compared to what we have. I consider our cars to have a very cheap interior and the transmission is very smooth when there are no 2/3rd gear issues. People beat subies up, if you got a used one maybe that was the issue.
snizzletoff is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzletoff View Post
People beat subies up, if you got a used one maybe that was the issue.
Nope, got it brand new.

Again, I know they're fast and can be made to be extremely fast but the transmission is simply horrible in them. I've read about quite a few others getting out of a WRX because of how bad the transmission was. And honestly, the interior in the WRX seemed way cheaper than in our Si's. Yeah I think the materials in the Si are pretty cheap but IMO they beat the WRX.
Tim620X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Robert
They're cheap. They're quick. They're awd. That is what appeals to people. And if you think about it, that is a + over cheap, slow, and fwd.

They obviously aren't perfect cars, which is where their **** interior, poor fuel economy, problematic engine and trannies and not to mention their god awful styling come into play.

Just like with every car, they aren't for everyone.
HeelsandEers is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Zac
ive always wondered why people love them so much even though they brake all the time. my friends wrx had an afr of 14 at WOT!! on the stock tune! wtf...
DartSI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Chris
My cousin has a 2011 WRX. It's fun to drive but no faster than my 09 Camry SEV6. Handles awesome. 265 horse I think on the WRX non-STi.
Fenanorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Chris
Quote:
^ a lot could come into play there, obviously from the factory they are trying to play it safe. this is also why a simple tune can net so much power on a subie. Im really not defending them here im just saying.
Play it safe? Running that lean at wot is definitely not safe, if it was a little rich I could understand, but that lean at wot is just ridiculous
Cpark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
ಠ_ಠ

snizzletoff
yea my bad i mixed it up thinking 14 was rich but that would be in the 11's if it was rich. 14 is pretty crazy high for WOT on a F/i car
snizzletoff is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Forrest
Quote:
^ a lot could come into play there, obviously from the factory they are trying to play it safe. this is also why a simple tune can net so much power on a subie. Im really not defending them here im just saying.
What? An AFR of 14 is not safe. That is incredibly lean. Most factory tunes run a tad rich.

Not scrolling down FTL...

Last edited by humboldt1498; 08-07-2012 at 01:53 PM.
humboldt1498 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

I love the WRX because i owned one for 3 years and have fond memories of it.

One of my fav memories was when this young kid in a modded civic kept doing fly bys past me, then finally go caught up in a redlight.
needless to say, i busted a 5.9 0-60, and embarrassed him and his passenger, but the funny thing was i had two bikes on my hitch, and a cargo carrier on my roof full of gear.
Thats something you can only do in a subaru.

I even saw a turbo foresster with a kayak on its roof embarrassing a group of modded hondas. . It was too funny.

Last edited by pks17; 08-07-2012 at 03:17 PM.
pks17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 02:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim620X View Post
So I've got to get this off of my chest...

After looking through quite a few threads on here I have noticed that there is a TON of WRX love going on and I really don't understand it. Everyone seems to praise the WRX and make it seem like it's truly so amazing. I went from a 2007 Si (2 door) to a 2009 WRX (hatch) and after a few months I was completely MISERABLE!! Yes, the car is crazy fast but other than that, they are junk in my opinion.

Yes, Honda has some bad/cheap paint but the paint on my WRX was terrible! Not only did I have chipping issues, I also had spider web style cracking, and rust/rail-dust specs all over the damn thing that I would spend 3hrs. removing, only to have them return a week later. Besides that, the handling is terrible... the interior quality is pretty bad-- I had TONS of rattles going on in mine, the stereo sucks @$$, etc. Also the transmission is so, so bad. It's so notchy and sloppy, it's ridiculous! And the engine is hardly reliable... again, it's fast, but I don't trust it at all.

After owning my WRX for a little over a year I had to get out of it and I wanted back in an Si so badly, especially before the 2012 model came out because I knew it was going to be terrible before they even revealed it. I'm so happy that I got back into a 2011 Si (4 door). In my opinion the car is so much more comfortable, reliable, fun to drive, better handling, better standard features, the list goes on and on... it's just not as fast as the WRX, but it's a quick fun car.

I look at the 2011-2012 WRX's with the new wide body style and I love the way they look. I see them quite a bit in my area and in a way I get jealous because it's such a great looking car and living in CNY at time I'd love to have AWD again but then I remember how terrible the car is (IMO) deep down. It has honestly made me scared to buy another Subaru, ever! My cousin also had a 2009 WRX (4 door) at the same time I had mine and right after I traded mine in, his turbo blew and he had a b*tch of a time trying to get Subaru to repair it under warranty. Just another thing to add to the negative pile for me...

Sorry for the long rant, but I had to get it off of my chest and honestly see why people are so in love with the WRX. Again, I love the looks and really really wish it was a better car and more reliable but it's just not. Having a fast car isn't everything.
Ok so - interior rattles, poor paint quality, poor stereo and a notchy transmission; oh right and you "didn't trust the engine" (what actual problems did you have with it?). I'm not saying every subaru engine is perfect I'm a WRX owner who's very curious as to what went wrong with yours.

Every 8th gen SI I've ever sat in rattles somewhere, honda and subaru can duke it out for who has the ****tier paint - both are piss poor. Poor stereo is easily fixed and I'll say the transmission isn't the smoothest however grabbing a kartboy SS kit w/bushings improves the feel drastically. Even the handling is easily fixed - all of it much easier to remedy than it will be trying to make a Civic SI keep up with a WRX.

There's huge love for them because they're fun as **** to drive; have a very useable powerband for a DD along with a ton of utility; the 2011+ widebody look is pretty much popular with anyone who can see. Not to mention they're one of the few 4cyl's that actually don't sound like crap.

WRX's are by no means perfect but Subaru has done a decent job of staying true to what the WRX is all about - Simple, cheap, fast, turbocharged, AWD; there's not much real competition for the WRX (assuming AWD is a requirement), it takes a big dump on both the ralliart and the golf r from a performance perspective. FWD sucks I know there are plenty of Civic SI Turbo monsters out there been in plenty myself but honestly breaking traction all the time is ass

For a fun as hell DD and for hp/$$ modability AWD + Turbo > FWD + NA. There are things I would change about my WRX if I bothered to put the time into doing it, but at the end of the day it is a lot of car for the money spent.
Spoony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 02:54 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pks17 View Post
I love the WRX because i owned one for 3 years and have fond memories of it.

One of my fav memories was when this young kid in a modded civic kept doing fly bys past me, then finally go caught up in a redlight.
needless to say, i busted a 5.9 0-60, and embarrassed him and his passenger, but the funny thing was i had two bikes on my hitch, and a cargo carrier on my roof full of gear.
Thats something you can only do in a subaru.

I even saw a turbo foresster with a kayak on its roof embarrassing a group of modded hondas. . It was too funny.
Details.....the mark of a con.

Cool stories though, skipper.
dualdiagnosis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 03:17 AM   #14 (permalink)

I hate WRXs for the people that own them. especially bugeyes. they just ooze douche from every pore in their body. I don't understand why 225 crank hp, a self-destructing transmission, the sound of a wet fart and the interior quality of a 90's Kia is appealing to anybody.

Last edited by DavidESchiller; 08-08-2012 at 03:20 AM.
DavidESchiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 03:28 AM   #15 (permalink)

Zac
i dont like how they mod for power, and keep unequal headers
DartSI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 03:39 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DartSI View Post
i dont like how they mod for power, and keep unequal headers
no kidding. every single time, "its worth sacrificing a little power for the awesome, unique boxer rumble. it has enough power as it is anyway."

most of them are also too stupid to understand that the "rumble" doesn't come from the horizontally opposed engine but from the horrible manifold design. a well-designed HO Porsche engine doesn't sound like a fart, there's a reason for that.
DavidESchiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #17 (permalink)

mmmmm Porsche....
glxygreysi08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #18 (permalink)

Robert
Lol @ wet fart

That's somewhat accurate
Old 08-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #19 (permalink)

Stephen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoony View Post
Ok so - interior rattles, poor paint quality, poor stereo and a notchy transmission; oh right and you "didn't trust the engine" (what actual problems did you have with it?). I'm not saying every subaru engine is perfect I'm a WRX owner who's very curious as to what went wrong with yours.

Every 8th gen SI I've ever sat in rattles somewhere, honda and subaru can duke it out for who has the ****tier paint - both are piss poor. Poor stereo is easily fixed and I'll say the transmission isn't the smoothest however grabbing a kartboy SS kit w/bushings improves the feel drastically. Even the handling is easily fixed - all of it much easier to remedy than it will be trying to make a Civic SI keep up with a WRX.

There's huge love for them because they're fun as **** to drive; have a very useable powerband for a DD along with a ton of utility; the 2011+ widebody look is pretty much popular with anyone who can see. Not to mention they're one of the few 4cyl's that actually don't sound like crap.

WRX's are by no means perfect but Subaru has done a decent job of staying true to what the WRX is all about - Simple, cheap, fast, turbocharged, AWD; there's not much real competition for the WRX (assuming AWD is a requirement), it takes a big dump on both the ralliart and the golf r from a performance perspective. FWD sucks I know there are plenty of Civic SI Turbo monsters out there been in plenty myself but honestly breaking traction all the time is ass

For a fun as hell DD and for hp/$$ modability AWD + Turbo > FWD + NA. There are things I would change about my WRX if I bothered to put the time into doing it, but at the end of the day it is a lot of car for the money spent.
they aren't cheap, they are the highest in their price bracket.
w00t692 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #20 (permalink)

Robert
I'm sorry, but any car that can be had for 25k or less is cheap and that includes the wrx. Hell, 30k is relatively cheap for a new car these days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.