So happy i bought an k20 instead of an r18 - Page 4 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Welcome > Garage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #61 (permalink)

Robert
30k for an Si? Got mine brand new for 20k. Yeah, pretty good car for the price if you ask me.
HeelsandEers is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #62 (permalink)

luke butts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelsandEers View Post
30k for an Si? Got mine brand new for 20k. Yeah, pretty good car for the price if you ask me.
lol well here in Canada it costs about 30k after tax eh.
lucasbutts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #63 (permalink)

Trevor
omg sis are soooo great
basically the best cars ever. stupid r18s
baby pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #64 (permalink)

Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasbutts View Post
lol well here in Canada it costs about 30k after tax eh.
So an Si costs about 7k more in Canada than it does in the US and STIs are the same price, or cheaper? Or did you just exaggerate those numbers to justify purchasing an r18?
Old 02-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #65 (permalink)

Alexander
Quote:
So an Si costs about 7k more in Canada than it does in the US and STIs are the same price, or cheaper? Or did you just exaggerate those numbers to justify purchasing an r18?
you had the wrong response. you should have just said "lulz canada"
TwoGuyWitSis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #66 (permalink)

Robert
Lol I thought that was a given.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #67 (permalink)

luke butts
lol no one needs to "justify" buying an r18, its pretty obvious why people buy them. An Si on the other hand... questionable. Yeah I know canada is ridiculous for car prices compared to the states, but if an almost new sti costs the same as an Si here, im sure its the same there, just sayin.... go put your Si against that... wait, you wouldnt cause its stupid... just like an Si against an r18
Old 02-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #68 (permalink)

Robert
An STI starts at 34k. An Si starts at 22k. I'm not sure how that's a valid comparison. No r18 is 12k less than an Si. The price difference is actually half of that.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #69 (permalink)

luke butts
In canada eh Si after tax is aboot 30k, my r18 was 16.5k and a 2011 sti with around 30k Kilometers costs aboot 30 k as well. Maybe we get ripped off on Si's and get good deals on sti's (subarus of course, get your mind out of the gutter) but i doobt that eh
Old 02-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #70 (permalink)

Robert
How much is a CSX? Same price? I'm not sure why the Si is the only vehicle that is extremely inflated over there, but I'll take your word for it.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #71 (permalink)

luke butts
I honestly had the paperwork to finance a 2011 Si done and signed, it was 34k after tax brand new with only minor upgrades like undercoating, tint and such. Absolutely ridiculous, I asked them if they had any 2010 Si's and they said no, we only have 3 DX's left, 2 automatic coupes and 1 manual sedan. I asked how much for the 2010 sedan and they said 18k (which is cheaper than the lame automatic) and I asked "how much will this be in 2 months when the 2012 lot rolls in" and he said.... 15.5k so I signed for that instead put 1k down and after tax was still about 16.5k

Maybe we just get absolutely raped by Honda here.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:39 PM   #72 (permalink)

Robert
Perhaps. 15-16k is the price the DXs start here in the states so there doesn't seem to be that much difference in that regard.

I doubt one could get a Si for the same price I did back in 07 in today's market, but for 20k there wasn't a better car out there for the price.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:54 PM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
lol no one needs to "justify" buying an r18, its pretty obvious why people buy them. An Si on the other hand... questionable. Yeah I know canada is ridiculous for car prices compared to the states, but if an almost new sti costs the same as an Si here, im sure its the same there, just sayin.... go put your Si against that... wait, you wouldnt cause its stupid... just like an Si against an r18
Despite my ownership of an R18, I gotta stand up for the K20 and give the Si its due. In the U.S. the WRX STI is significantly more expensive than a Civic Si. MSRP is $34,100 on the STI, while the Civic Si maxes out at $23,900. That's a huge difference in price.

There are valid reasons to buy a K20Z3 Si instead of a WRX: reliability, fuel economy, and insurance costs. As far as engines go, the Honda K-series is about as bulletproof and engine as you can get, with over 10 years of being on the road and almost no problems. The Si has a US EPA rating of 21 City 29 Highway. The WRX STI's rating is 17 City 23 Highway. Insurance on a WRX will almost certainly be much much higher than an Si, no matter what state or region one is living in.

Subjectively, some people prefer the sound of a naturally aspirated engine @ 8000RPM over something turbocharged. Sure, the STI will probably trash the Si in a race unless the STI driver is just bad at driving, but I don't think people buy a car with 197 HP to go up against something like an STI.
Sonic Screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 12:09 AM   #74 (permalink)

Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by enchantedsky View Post
I prefer my R18 over an Si anyday.

Only on an R18 you can get 40 MPG. Si drivers pretend like they drive a fuel efficient car. Sure hit VTEC, you are getting good fuel economy, LOL..
I have gotten 37 mpg in my Si, going 72 on the highway with the air on so I would say that that is pretty damn good gas mileage. I also average 28 mpg, tuned with I/H/E so that is pretty damn good still.

Quote:
I drove a 2010 Si and a 2010 DX and bought the DX.... why pay almost 30k for an Si, seems a bit ridiculous you can buy a barely, BARELY used STI for that price which is clearly a better overall car... If performance is what you want and your an Si owner harping on the r18 owners because its so much better performance wise, you look like a jackass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Screwdriver View Post
Despite my ownership of an R18, I gotta stand up for the K20 and give the Si its due. In the U.S. the WRX STI is significantly more expensive than a Civic Si. MSRP is $34,100 on the STI, while the Civic Si maxes out at $23,900. That's a huge difference in price.

There are valid reasons to buy a K20Z3 Si instead of a WRX: reliability, fuel economy, and insurance costs. As far as engines go, the Honda K-series is about as bulletproof and engine as you can get, with over 10 years of being on the road and almost no problems. The Si has a US EPA rating of 21 City 29 Highway. The WRX STI's rating is 17 City 23 Highway. Insurance on a WRX will almost certainly be much much higher than an Si, no matter what state or region one is living in.

Subjectively, some people prefer the sound of a naturally aspirated engine @ 8000RPM over something turbocharged. Sure, the STI will probably trash the Si in a race unless the STI driver is just bad at driving, but I don't think people buy a car with 197 HP to go up against something like an STI.
What he said^ except with some bolt ons and a good tune I keep up with STi's =)
StatuatoryGrapes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #75 (permalink)
VIP Member

I am sorry but Si Sedan in Canada was just under $26,000...

You were getting yanked.

http://m.honda.ca/civic_sedan
^and that is for 2012 with an increased price...

Last edited by Strate L O S S; 02-19-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Strate L O S S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 12:18 AM   #76 (permalink)
VIP Member

And here are Subaru prices

Pricing for the well-equipped 2011 Impreza WRX and WRX STI lineup includes the following:
WRX 4-door with 5-speed manual transmission (5MT) - $32,495
WRX Limited 4-door with 5MT - $35,495
WRX STI 4-door with 6-speed manual transmission (6MT) -$37,995
WRX STI 4-door Sport-tech with 6MT - $41,595
WRX 5-door with 5-speed manual transmission (5MT) - $33,395
WRX Limited 5-door with 5MT - $36,395
WRX STI 5-door with 6-speed manual transmission (6MT) - $38,895
WRX STI 5-door Sport-tech with 6MT - $42,495

http://m.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?Arti...WebSiteID=2822

$12,000-$16,500 more expensive..

you failed ehh ?
Strate L O S S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #77 (permalink)

Eric
Aww, I've come to like my R18 over the time that I've had it. Like others have said it's really good at what it does (mpg, reliable, etc), and with a 5MT it allows me to have a little fun whenever I want to. Whenever I start to doubt how much I like my car I go and test drive an Si, and each time I walk away thinking "well, that was somewhat underwhelming." That isn't to say that I wouldn't want one if I could trade for free, but most of the time it's just not worth the money to me. I've had test drives where I get to drive on really twisty roads even, hitting 8k in every gear, then afterwards I take my car to the same spot and bounce off my own rev limiter and I end up liking my car more.

The Si is the better car for that kind of stuff for sure, but I don't do it often enough to warrant it for me.
v3locity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 12:24 AM   #78 (permalink)

Robert
I'm thinking about doing an r18 swap in my Si.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:52 AM   #79 (permalink)

Sean
Quote:
I'm thinking about doing an r18 swap in my Si.
fresh, real men rock SOHC
StatuatoryGrapes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #80 (permalink)

Both are a Civic- period!

Both can be out accelerated by minivans, trucks, grandma cars, SUVs. Other than acceleration both Civics will reach 90-110mph. The only difference is a few seconds before reaching speeds.

HFP suspension is 500.00 provides better shocks and spring rates with a lower center of gravity. Had both the si and the HFP on my ex and the Si wasn't "all that". Added sway bars to the HFP and it's one of the best rides Ive had. My wife's old mini cooper dinan S with Koni shocks and dinan springs was the best feeling car. My ex is close. The Audi TT was the best stock car I owned. The lotus Elise on a test drive without the salesman was the BEST!

My grass trimmer turns 9000rpm but that doesn't make it a race engine.
ryker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.