First bike advice please - Page 2 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Welcome > Garage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 01:08 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreeSi View Post
thanks everybody for your input i will be weighing my options and heading out to the msc when the weather turns.
Good move!
Rowdy Sluggins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #22 (permalink)

Eric M
+1 on taking a MSF course first, I did and it was a smart move. They go over basics first, but also get into more real world riding situations and how to handle them. Also saves but-loads of time at the DMV if they certify you first.

I would stay away from the 250cc bikes, I looked at them and thought it would be a good idea, but about 3hrs after buying my bike I was going wide open on straits and knew a 250cc would have disappointing me real quick. The first bike you get just needs to be well maintained and reliable. I would also stay away from anything carb'd if you can afford it. If it goes down sometimes it takes a bit to get the carbs fuel to level out and running strong again, a FI bike you could leave on it's side all night, pick up in the morning and start right up. Don't worry to much about how it looks, it's you first bike, not the one you will have forever.

As far as what bike to get, most any 500-650cc would be good. I started on a '07 Suzuki SV650s, was nice as the V-twin had torque in the low rpms so it was forgiving getting off the line and nice for slow turns/parking lot maneuvers. I like it more for general ride-ability than my friends '96 CBR 600 and another friends '03 R1 that I rode as a newer rider. Thoes both required more revs to get going and to me kinda felt like they had a sloppy powerband in low/mid rpms.

The R1 could beat me in a race on one wheel, and the CBR as well as a few newer 600's I've raced all were close in the 20-70mph range, but then they just kept going as the SV ran out of steam. But it wasn't made for speed performance, it can do 100+ and that is more than enough for any learner. I mean how often do you do that on public roads anyway? Slim to never, it's just that rush from 0 to 60 we all love and the SV did that well, and was much cheaper then a GSX-R.

Get on some local forums, find a deal on something that an enthusiast has had over something off craigs that anybody could have beat the **** outa. Also try to bring somebody with you when you go looking at them who knows about bikes, if none of you friends/family know anything then try and get somebody on the local forums to come with, buy them lunch or something. An extra set of eyes looking for a bent frame, unevenly warn brake pads or tire wear, odd chain wear, ect.

Wear you gear and ride safe is most important!!!
v6z24e is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #23 (permalink)

josh
id go with an r1 if your a guy who can respect power. the bikes only gonna go as fast as you command it to go. i started with a 600 but really wanted more power after the first month...im a bigger guy too. 600 will prob be too compact for your frame unless you went with a sport cruiser type thing. like an fz600.
nolicense526 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #24 (permalink)
VIP Member

David
Quote:
Originally Posted by errorunknown View Post
Do NOT listen to these scrubs and get a 600 as your first bike. Even a 90's 600 can hit 60 in less than 3 seconds, that's insane for a first bike. It would be like getting an enzo for your first car.

Get a Ninja 250, ride it for a season, learn how to ride first. Get the basics down so that when you step up to a 600 all you have to worry about is the bike, not traffic, how to ride it etc. A 250 will be plenty fast, at least as fast as the Si.

The biggest thing is that once you get the hang of it you will not be afraid to push the limit on a 250 as it is much more forgiving (can't lowside by giving too much gas in a corner, etc). Don't think that it will be a hassle selling the 250 after a season either, they are always in high demand and you will probably sell it for as much as you paid for it.

Also, sportbikes.net is an excellent motorcycle forum and has a very helpful New Rider's subforum.
Yea, my first bike will be a ninja 250. I've done research already and that was the best choice, price, drivability, handling, gas mileage, looks.

Overall package
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin1636 View Post
Lmfao I know... I could have got them but got retros lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreeSi View Post
At least you will be able to see what you slamming into at night.
Rockawearbadboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 12:58 AM   #25 (permalink)

Thomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockawearbadboy View Post
Yea, my first bike will be a ninja 250. I've done research already and that was the best choice, price, drivability, handling, gas mileage, looks.

Overall package
Good choice, you're gonna be riding for a long time, no need to rush into it. Post pics as soon as you get the bike!
errorunknown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #26 (permalink)

Nigel
I have a 250r and love it. Not a lot of power but still just as quick as a stock si. Still does 110ish which is plenty fast enough for me. First thing i did was get rid of the dirt bike rear fender then custom fabbed a gsxr 600 muffler onto it to make it louder. ( personally thought it was too quite) ive been gettin around 65 mpg with it too.
pumkinking 85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #27 (permalink)

My first bike was a 1976 Yamaha xs650. It was a cool old school bike. Perfect for learning on. I was advise staying FAR away from a sport bike for a first bike. I have over 15 years of experience on street bikes. But like all others had said before take the MSF, use there bikes if you drop them no real loss.
sml-2727 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #28 (permalink)

josh
theres a good reason to get an older cruiser to learn on, if you drop it, the cost wont be astronomical like it would if you dropped a newer sport bike...i never really took that into account because i dont think about dropping it lol.
nolicense526 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolicense526 View Post
theres a good reason to get an older cruiser to learn on, if you drop it, the cost wont be astronomical like it would if you dropped a newer sport bike...i never really took that into account because i dont think about dropping it lol.
And remember to buy gear while your at it, leathers are nice but textiles are good to. If you don't like the look of textile riding pants you can get some draggin jeans, something is better than nothing.

Its always better to be a little hot while riding than getting skin grafts later if you do fall.
sml-2727 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #30 (permalink)

Nigel
Yeah cant forget gear. Safety first.
pumkinking 85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #31 (permalink)

joe
I started out on a ninja 500 and sold it within 2 weeks and upgraded to a 600cc. Definitely learn on something alot more friendly than a 600cc. A ninja 500 or sv650 would be a good choice for your height and size.
joedyam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.