Motor Trend pits 5.0 Mustang against BMW M3 - Page 4 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Welcome > Garage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 02:40 PM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamchris View Post
but the m3 still won.....
Having been a subscriber to Motortrend and C&D for years, I can tell you that they will usually decide in favor of BMW if the tesing is a dead heat. .6 of a second is literally a dead-heat.

They did mention in the article that with the money saved on the Mustang, you could purchase another Mustang. Or you could always buy an Si and go F/I with the savings.

By their own words, the Mustang only needs better dampers. Win/win.
FB Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2010, 03:02 PM   #62 (permalink)

The 24hr race at the famous 'ring in Germany and the winner was?

I'd love to see track times at Nurburgring?
ryker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #63 (permalink)

Haywood Jablomi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FB Si View Post
I have relatives in the car business. I literally have access to most new/used cars except the most exotic. I also have a friend who actually owns an E36 lightweight along with several other BMW's and will admit that the other car companies have caught up to, and in many cases passed BMW in driving feel.

It's not wise to make assumptions based on limited knowledge.
Take a look at the reviews for the new 5-series. It's getting reamed for its poor steering and softened suspension (even w/ the sport package).
FALer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2010, 03:56 PM   #64 (permalink)

Never Again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamchris View Post
but the m3 still won.....
Really? You don't say. Hmm, the 5.0 is ever so sliglty faster in quarter mile, is better on a road course with an average driver and virtually the same with Randy Pobst. Seems like the Mustang is better at braking too. Of course, they cheated because they used the optional Brembo package. Lateral acceleration, the 5.0 wins. Figure 8, the 5.0 wins. All in all, I think you are quite wrong.

And btw, for Ryker, the BMW had 3.85 gears with a strong first gear than the 5.0. Also, for Ryker, the 24 hours at Nurburgring is for race cars. Granted, they are based on production cars, but that in itself is not everything. Over at the Continental Challenge, the two cars are in a virtual tie. Anything in racing is often more one team being superior to other teams rather than one make of car being superior to other makes of cars. Man, the things that you will do to prove your point.

Some cause happiness wherever they go: others whenever they go. -Oscar Wilde
NitrousG35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2010, 04:24 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitrousG35 View Post
Not sure what this means. Haven't read anything about guys with GT500's wrapping their cars around trees. Nor Challenger SRT's or Camaro SS's or Corvettes for that that matter.
[NEW Camaro torn in half!] Unreal Camaro crash - DigitalCorvettes.com
now, you have.

the driver walked away!!
devani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #66 (permalink)

Never Again!
In addition to the Ford Racing S/C that makes 624 hp, Roush just came out with a S/C package for the 5.0 Mustang: Autoblog — We Obsessively Cover The Auto Industry

Mustang owners have always had a healthy appetite for the aftermarket, and it looks like the new 5.0 will provide plenty of opportunities for warranty-busting horsepower upgrades. Ford Racing just unveiled its supercharger system good for up to 624 horsepower, and now Roush has introduced its own ROUSHcharger system for the 5.0-liter V8.

The Roush system utilizes the TVS2300 supercharger first seen on the P-51A Mustang (replacing the old Eaton M90-based blower) and requires professional installation and calibration. A 90mm pulley good for seven psi, with 47 lb/hr fuel injectors, high-flow fuel rails and a twin 60mm throttle body included in the kit. Roush says that the system can produce up to 550 horsepower and 470 pound-feet torque with the stock fuel pump, and even more with additional upgrades. Pricing is set at $5,999, and Roush offers a 90-day parts warranty. A full system complete with a Roush calibration and a full warranty will be coming later this fall. Hit the jump for full details on the new ROUSHcharger system for the 2011 Mustang.

Ford Racing S/C: Ford Racing releases new 5.0-liter supercharger for the Mustang | StangNet

Some cause happiness wherever they go: others whenever they go. -Oscar Wilde
NitrousG35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2010, 09:19 PM   #67 (permalink)

My hats off to Ford. I am an old Chevy guy. I have owned a 427 vette and a Z/28 in the past. I have been considering buying the new Camaro but....... I hate that they are still OHV pushrods motors. I really like the specs/tech on the new 5.0 motor.
2xSi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2010, 09:33 PM   #68 (permalink)

Haywood Jablomi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xSi View Post
My hats off to Ford. I am an old Chevy guy. I have owned a 427 vette and a Z/28 in the past. I have been considering buying the new Camaro but....... I hate that they are still OHV pushrods motors. I really like the specs/tech on the new 5.0 motor.
Why? Unless you need to rev above 7000, pushrods work fine, and can be made to go higher. Much more compact (and usually lighter) than a DOHC engine too.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #69 (permalink)

Press Release: Dinan S3-R M3 Revealed. A 527 hp 407 lb-ft +200 mph monster when the pedal is to the firewall and a comfortable daily driver in bumper to bumper.
The M3 name by itself carries a lot of weight in the automotive world, sitting at the top of the 3 Series line as BMWs sportiest offering. An impressive car right out of the box, with details like a carbon fiber roof, powerful brakes and an electronically adjustable suspension that are reserved only for the M badge.
The Dinan S3-R M3 takes the M3 to a whole new level, hiding under the conspicuous hood is 527 horsepower and 407 foot-pounds of torque, up 113 horsepower from the stock engine.

backed by the only warranty on the market that matches the manufacturer coverage for up to 4 years/50,000 miles. The Dinan S3-R M3 offers remarkable performance that can be enjoyed without the fear of compromising warranty coverage or the reliability expected of a BMW automobile.
ryker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2010, 09:50 PM   #70 (permalink)

good job bmw, scared of a $30k pony car so you have to outsource performance parts and charge even more for the car.

impressive

/sarcasm
BLU BY U is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2010, 09:51 PM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALer View Post
Why? Unless you need to rev above 7000, pushrods work fine, and can be made to go higher. Much more compact (and usually lighter) than a DOHC engine too.
Because a pushrod engine is noisier, burns more fuel, produces more pollution, and cannot produce the same amount of hp and tq after upgrades that a cammer can.

As for dinan upgrades to a bimmer, you might want to check the pricing on those. If you can barely afford an m3, you can forget anything made by dinan. About 20k just for the kit and exhaust upgrade.

Last edited by FB Si; 08-26-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:55 PM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Because a pushrod engine is noisier and cannot produce the same amount oh hp and t after upgrades that a cammer can.
slap me in the ass and call me shirley but i think youre way off on this one. arent pro nhra drag cars push rods/ohv ?
Old 08-26-2010, 09:59 PM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU BY U View Post
slap me in the ass and call me shirley but i think youre way off on this one. arent pro nhra drag cars push rods/ohv ?
Yes. But you're making the mistake in comparing an engine that does not need to pass emissions regulations, nor last past the warranty period.

Not to mention those engines run on about 113 octane. Try getting that at the local bp or shell.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:59 PM   #74 (permalink)
Hidy Ho Neighbor

-> Ken
Very impressive. Ford is stepping up.
GeezerSi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2010, 10:03 PM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes. But you're making the mistake in comparing an engine that does not need to pass emissions regulations, nor last past the warranty period.

Not to mention those engines run on about 113 octane. Try getting that at the local bp or shell.
i disagree. current lsX engines are pushrods and making great HP while passing emissions. im not trying to argue. just stating facts. im a GM guy at heart when it comes to muscle....but ill agree with you on one thing. the coyote engine is fuggin sweet
Old 08-26-2010, 10:08 PM   #76 (permalink)

Haywood Jablomi
Quote:
Because a pushrod engine is noisier, burns more fuel, produces more pollution, and cannot produce the same amount of hp and tq after upgrades that a cammer can.
I seem to recall that a 430hp Corvette gets 26mpg on the highway. Not sure any other 400+hp car can do the same.

Got a source for your other claims about noise, pollution, etc.?
Old 08-26-2010, 10:16 PM   #77 (permalink)
Hidy Ho Neighbor

-> Ken
The 2010 GS beat the 2010 M3 in a head to head test.

But keep in mind, the GS is $60K.
GeezerSi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2010, 10:16 PM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALer View Post
Ever run big cams on an old OHV??? My 427 with L-88 cams rattled the whole car and spit so much raw fuel out the exhaust at idle that it was like tear gas. With VTEC /VTC you can have your cake and eat it too.
2xSi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2010, 10:31 PM   #79 (permalink)

"WEEZY"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xSi View Post
Ever run big cams on an old OHV??? My 427 with L-88 cams rattled the whole car and spit so much raw fuel out the exhaust at idle that it was like tear gas. With VTEC /VTC you can have your cake and eat it too.
why r u guts talkin about ohv engines th enew stang is dohc as well as the m3
FGBOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2010, 10:32 PM   #80 (permalink)

rick
1CLEAN08SI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.