Just picked up a new 2010 WRX sedan on lease - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Welcome > Garage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 03:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Just picked up a new 2010 WRX sedan on lease

They were leasing these at $1500 down at $279 a mo. plus fees. Going to keep the 2008 Si which will become my primary car, and the WRX will be the wife's. Going up for sale will be our beloved 2000 Honda Insight. Now comes the long/tedious process of trying to figure out which mods work for the WRX and at what cost. May just stick with an intake for the time being.

It feels quite nice with the extra 68hp/100 lb ft of torque over the Si. Should be fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2010, 03:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

did u get the hatch or the sedan
miniaznkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 03:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Sedan was the one on lease special. And I already knew that the 2011's were getting updated more aggressive styling with wider track/rims/tires. I know the 2011 will look awesome, but the cops won't be as fooled. The 2011 is carrying over the same engine from the 2009-2010 version.
civicracer32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 03:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Congrats. If you just lease the rex, how can you mod a car on a lease period that you would never own? Since you have to return the car in a certain time.
Sensui is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 03:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

You can convert it back to stock when turning in, or just keep it. I'll do an intake for now as that's all the wife will probably allow. More research will tell if any more parts are beenificial for the cost.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Intake is a must mod for a turbo boost cars. They will up the HP very well. I think you made the right decision on modding. The rest are not really that great to follow on other mods.
Sensui is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 04:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah, Part of me is thinking that if I dig the WRX and if it's fast enough to satisfy my speed fix, I can sell my 2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R. That's paid for, but I barely get to ride it with the wife and kids. About every other week for an hour or so. I suppose if the wife allowed me to drop $1-2K on the new subie for mods, I'd prob off the bike? Not sure.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Pete
Keep the BIKE!!
Silversweet09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Zach
Congrats on an amazing machine. How does it feel to have your wife driving around the quicker ride?
ProZach626 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jo-Von-E

Jhovany M.
of the rex?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto619 View Post
vit twerks???
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0720Steve View Post
he taught miley.
Geovone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

RPG automotive
actually an intake is one of the last mods you want to do on a wrx. you should just get the spt exhaust and call it a day. if you want the best bang for the buck then get an accessport for it.
civic tech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 10:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Dustin
Deja vu, didnt i just read this similar story over on NASIOC?
liquidr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

Dustin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensui View Post
Intake is a must mod for a turbo boost cars. They will up the HP very well. I think you made the right decision on modding. The rest are not really that great to follow on other mods.
You need to research subis and tuning of subis before making such false statments. WRX's/Stis do not respond well at all to an intake unless it is tuned specifically for said intake. My 09 WRX ran like crap with my CAI untill i got tuned on a dyno by a professional. Also new WRXs/Stis support up to 400 whp on the stock intake with out a problem. They are very well designed.

Just because its a turbo car doesnt meand that it gains 30 hp majically.

However, an intake is considered a must on turbo cars just to hear the majical sounds of the turbo spool stock bypass valve.

Last edited by liquidr1; 06-02-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
VIP Member

c p
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic tech View Post
actually an intake is one of the last mods you want to do on a wrx. you should just get the spt exhaust and call it a day. if you want the best bang for the buck then get an accessport for it.
YUP! DONT do just an intake! Downpipe and tune are the best bang for the buck mods! With just a downpipe and stage 1 tune I made an extra 50whp and 80 lb ft of wtq in my 06 sti. Honestly a downpipe/full turboback exhaust and tune is the BEST way to go. Any questions feel free to pm me, i have done a lot of work to my sti including upgraded turbo/intercooler/complete fuel/intake system and much much more

Last edited by cpraetsch; 06-02-2010 at 11:16 PM.
cpraetsch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 11:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
VIP Member

c p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensui View Post
you sir have no idea what you are talking about
Old 06-03-2010, 01:21 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpraetsch View Post
YUP! DONT do just an intake! Downpipe and tune are the best bang for the buck mods! With just a downpipe and stage 1 tune I made an extra 50whp and 80 lb ft of wtq in my 06 sti. Honestly a downpipe/full turboback exhaust and tune is the BEST way to go. Any questions feel free to pm me, i have done a lot of work to my sti including upgraded turbo/intercooler/complete fuel/intake system and much much more
It's amazing how much you can learn in a day. I've learned a lot from the NASIOC forum in the last 24 hours. You're right on the intake. Basically just need to source the proper DP, cat-back and determine wheter to go Accesport or Open Source tune to get that extra 50hp/80tq approx. Having fun with the WRX stock even, but having ridden in a friends STI some years back with 307hp/346 tq to the wheels, I know what they're capable of, and how ridiculous they feel with that kind of power. What I've always loved about the 2.5L STI motor or the new WRX is when boosted on a stock turbo, they hit hard down low and give you this amazing point and shoot grunt. It's an absolute hoot to drive when they're throwing down nearly 300hp to the wheels. Can't wait!

Last edited by civicracer32; 06-03-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:57 AM   #17 (permalink)

J
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidr1 View Post
You need to research subis and tuning of subis before making such false statments. WRX's/Stis do not respond well at all to an intake unless it is tuned specifically for said intake. My 09 WRX ran like crap with my CAI untill i got tuned on a dyno by a professional. Also new WRXs/Stis support up to 400 whp on the stock intake with out a problem. They are very well designed.

Just because its a turbo car doesnt meand that it gains 30 hp majically.

However, an intake is considered a must on turbo cars just to hear the majical sounds of the turbo spool stock bypass valve.
There is a thread on Nasioc about someone hating the Cobb Access Port whats the deal with that? is it better to get protuned/open source tune from a tuner? some reply's on there prefer going to a tuner.
06CivEXJon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2010, 09:24 PM   #18 (permalink)

Dustin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06CivEXJon View Post
There is a thread on Nasioc about someone hating the Cobb Access Port whats the deal with that? is it better to get protuned/open source tune from a tuner? some reply's on there prefer going to a tuner.
Some people dont like it because of the price of it when there are other much cheaper methods of tuning. Some dont like it because in the past it was known to have some glitches that would lock your ECU up if it failed during a flash. Most of this has been resolve by Cobb by various firmware/software upgrades for the accessport.

However with that said, the accessport has a ****load of features like, live engine data monitoring, launchcontrol, flatfoot shifting, log 1/4 mile data, 0-60 data, and even has a dyno chart feature, read and clear engine trouble codes etc. Record and save live datalogs of all engin parameters, Ability to flash premade OTS maps (off the shelf maps) to accomodate most common mods.

For most people, all that stuff is useless when you can go by a tactrix cable and hook to you lap top and flash your ecu with an OTS map or have it tuned by a professional on the dyno. This is a much cheaper option than spending $700 on an accessport.

NOW, with all that said, Cobb protuners have the software to use your Cobb access port to create custom maps for your car and acctually tune the car on a dyno (Custom tune or otherwise known as a Cobb Protune). Which is the best route that you can take to get the most out of your car. Some people like this idea that they can have the accessport with all those cool little features and the ability to get protuned with it or just flash the basic OTS maps. Some people see the $700 bucks for the accessport a waste of money when there are other cheaper methods

I personaly love the accesport for what it is. I had my 09 Protuned by a local reputable tuner that was trained by Cobb them selves for two weeks and he races subarus for a living. Its nice because it controls every aspect of the stock ECU in the way it was meant to be used (just like flashpro for the Si). No glitches or anything, If your tuner knows how to tune right, you will have an amazing ride.

I went from using Perrin Performances stage 2 intake map to a Protune and the difference was amazing, night and day.

On the OTS Perrin map i made 302 ft/lbs awtq and 269 whp at 18.5 psi (which isnt bad for peak numbers but the drivability sucked with the perrin intake/cai map)

After the protune i made 346 ft/lbs awtq and 290 awhp at 20 psi. and the drivbility of the car is amazing, better than stock and torque hits so much harder. All that from just a turbo back exhaust, CAI and a tune.

with a larger top mount intercooler you will make over 300 whp easily. Add a bigger fuel pump and injectors you will make 320 whp+ with the stock turbo.

Last edited by liquidr1; 06-03-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
VIP Member

c p
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06CivEXJon View Post
so many good things about the ap. It only 595 now too. Whether you use the out of the box maps or have a tuner do a custom map they are great
Old 06-03-2010, 10:26 PM   #20 (permalink)

if i were you i'd get the standard, dp, catback, intake , tune route.
iamchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.