Anyone ride bikes? (merged) - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Welcome > Garage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 08:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Cool Anyone ride bikes? (merged)

SO i was just interested in how many people on the forums either road bike or mountain bike and what kind of bikes you ride and any long rides or accomplishments. I just got into biking recently so ill start.
I ride a trek 1500 with team discovery paint job...it was on sale
have had a chance to ride in any races but my longest ride so far has been 35 miles

so anyone else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2008, 08:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

Mike
This is one of the things I'm very interested in doing. Once I get moved out to Colorado, I'll definitely give this a shot! Anyone want to recommend me a decent bike to start out with?
ImLikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2008, 09:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

20Strong
I ride BMX dirt and am getting into racing. I love riding, here is my new cruiser build and a quick shot of my bikes over here in Iraq.
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/water...ally-here.html

As faw as what kind of bike to reccomend, do you want a MTB, BMX, Cruiser? If you want a MTB do you want a Full suspension or a hard tail, single speed or geared. What is your budget range?
20strong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2008, 09:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm pretty into biking, used to be a lot more into it when I was still in school and had more time to ride.

I was a pretty hard core roadie for a while, now that I'm married, I switched to a cross bike (Specialized Tri Cross) so I can ride with the wife on some trails, and still have the feel of a road bike.

ImLikeMike: Recommending a bike depends on what kind of riding you want to do, however, I've always had Trek bikes for almost my whole life, until I bought my most recent one, the Specialized. They're both excellent companies to look at, and have bikes for just about every price range...I recommend either one of these brands personally, but there are lots of other good bike companies out there too.
Mabuz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2008, 10:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

20 strong thats tight
i have always wanted to try bmx but am afraid too so i stick to the road, but i have given mountain biking ago and loved but never really had a chance to get into it. i did a crazy trail called tsali over in n.c.
but for recs trek just came out with a new entry level road bike, which i had a chance to ride and it was very nice...it was around 700 i think
bmcginn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2008, 11:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mike
Quote:

As faw as what kind of bike to reccomend, do you want a MTB, BMX, Cruiser? If you want a MTB do you want a Full suspension or a hard tail, single speed or geared. What is your budget range?
Oops, I forgot to specify. Most likely I'll be looking into mountain biking, but I haven't really made a decision yet. As far as the other stuff you mentioned, I have no idea lol. Do you mind going into detail what the differences are between them?
Old 04-08-2008, 03:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Curtis
I have a Fixie (SE Draft) and A 2005ish Specialized P3.. I used to ride Mt. Diablo in East Bay, Cali. Now I get to ride San Francisco once I am done painting my Fixie.
07NHBCivicSi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 11:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

If you're interested in getting into mountain biking, check out the mtbr.com forums. Very useful stuff, lots of knowledgeable people there.

As for myself, I mountain bike and do a little freestyle BMX. My mountain bike is a Giant Anthem. It's full suspension, with 3.5" of travel front and rear. I've converted it to a single speed, which I love. It's so less complicated, no worrying about which gear you should be in, no derailures to keep adjusted, and it's way lighter now. All you have to do is point and pedal, it's great. My longest ride to date was 50 miles. I've been in one race so far, but had to drop out due to an injury (way disappointing). I'm riding in another race this weekend, it's a 13 hour endurance race, and I'm riding on a four man team with some friends.

My BMX started life as an '05 Eastern Element, which I bought for $300. The only things still original are the frame, cranks, and brakes; I bent/broke everything else and then upgraded to better parts, which all still hold up, but cost an additional $400. I've got a McNeil seat/seatpost, Industry Pro Cassette wheels, Mosh stem/bars/pedals.

If you're looking to get into biking, here's what I recommend. First, decided what kind of bike you want: road, mountain, bmx. Then, buy the nicest all-around bike in that group you can afford. Since you're new to the sport, you're not sure what kind of riding you'll enjoy best, so get something that can do a little of everything. For example, don't by a full on 45lb downhill bike just to learn you like riding cross country best. Also, go around to all the bike shops in your area and just ask questions and get them to explain stuff to you.

Whatever you do, don't forget, you get what you pay for, so buy the best thing you can afford.

Now...for pictures of me and my bicycles (including the injury that caused me drop out of my first race, oh, and my car too), go here: dgaddis1's photos and albums on webshots if you look at the Street BMX photo's, I'm dustin g.

Sorry for such a long post, but I love bicycles! Let me know what you think about the pics!

Last edited by dgaddis1; 04-08-2008 at 11:32 AM.
dgaddis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 02:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I'm a pretty big deal. This is me -> Building An IMBA Epic Slideshow Slide 10 : Bicycling Magazine.com

The same photo was in BIKE magazine (last month - the 50 greatest trail article).

LOL, I was pretty excited to be a magazine...the guy who wrote the article contacted one of the local SORBA leaders and asked for some photo's of the FATS, because he was writing an article on them for BIKE magazine (the same guy ended up flying out and working on the two new loops for the article on the Bicycling website). So, me and a few other guys got a camera or two and headed out to the trails and took a bunch of photos, and that one of me happened to get used. I was pretty stoked about it.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaddis1 View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I'm a pretty big deal.

Sorry, maybe I took that out of context. But it's cool that you were in a magazine.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

^^It was an anchorman reference (aka a joke).

I'm not that conceited.

I use to be.

But now I'm perfect.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Greg
I mountainbike and ride a hardtail specialized rockhopper comp with upgraded front shock, brakes, and rear derailer. I chose the hardtail because it puts more power to the ground than a full suspension, so it's easier for climbing. Not as good for going down hills though as it is rougher on your body. good hardtails can also be had cheaper than good full suspensions. So it all comes down to what you want to do, and how much you want to spend. As someone stated earlier, mtbr.com is a great site for information. Don't buy a bike from a store like Walmart, a bike is not a toy, and expect to pay at least $500 for a decent hardtail and $700 for a decent full suspension (my neighbor has a giant Yukon FS and loves it).
Agnt004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 05:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

<---- i ride a lemond versaille.

right now i am training for the aids/lifecycle bike ride. it's a 545 mile seven day journey from san francisco to los angeles all on bicycle. you can donate to the cause in this link below...
eugenekim.net is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 06:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

i ride a felt f3, with dura-ace components and mavic wheels, i would suggest getting fitted first, look up a serotta fit bike store then you can find out what bikes fit you the best. even if you decide to buy an entry level bike you can always upgrade you wheels and components for a better ride.
beauhance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 06:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

is anybody going to the tour de georgia this year?
beauhance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 06:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaddis1 View Post
^^It was an anchorman reference (aka a joke).

I'm not that conceited.

I use to be.

But now I'm perfect.
Haha, I only saw that one time, so didn't catch it. Sounds like you were walking off a problem.

Anyways, OP, best bet is go to a reputable bike store, check out some bikes, ask lots of questions to the guys who get paid to know all kinds of info on different bikes, and then test ride some. Do your homework before you buy one...most bike shops will let you ride all kinds of bikes, and not pressure you into buying a bike right away, if they do, find another shop that doesn't care.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:54 PM   #17 (permalink)

Mike
Cool, I appreciate all the info here! I wont be able to get a bike until maybe the end of the year, but I'll definitely check out that website and do some homework in the meantime.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauhance View Post
i ride a felt f3, with dura-ace components and mavic wheels, i would suggest getting fitted first, look up a serotta fit bike store then you can find out what bikes fit you the best. even if you decide to buy an entry level bike you can always upgrade you wheels and components for a better ride.
such a nice set-up you have there.
eugenekim.net is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 09:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

i started riding road about a year ago and have done a handful of organized rides. I mainly got into due the bike trails being flooded most of last summer. I really enjoy riding the longest ride I have done was 102miles in the Hotter Than Hell last august. I plan on doing that ride again and many more. Have fun and enjoy the bike its relaxing and great exercise
dtexan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 09:39 PM   #20 (permalink)

beauhance do you like your mavic wheels?
which kind do you have??
i am about to upgrade and im trying to decide between rome racexlites and mavics
any help or suggestions?
bmcginn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.