Anyone ride bikes? (merged) - Page 170 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Welcome > Garage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #3381 (permalink)

Jersey
MattyJay88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #3382 (permalink)

Jordan Denmark
I ride a Yamaha VINO when its nice out. 50cc though. When the car is done I'll start working on her
Sent from my VS840 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App
jdenmark is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 01:28 AM   #3383 (permalink)
Broke Baller

Pogi
Wrong kind of bike
Old 10-12-2012, 06:41 AM   #3384 (permalink)

Ron
Nice find! Pinarello Dogma is definitely the frame for the job, things built like a tank...good thing he didn't use Cervelo. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyJay88 View Post
Martyn Ashton - Road Bike Party - YouTubel[
High Revs Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #3385 (permalink)

Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Revs Si View Post
Nice find! Pinarello Dogma is definitely the frame for the job, things built like a tank...good thing he didn't use Cervelo. haha
haha, that's true.
MattyJay88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #3386 (permalink)

Jason
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyJay88 View Post
Those are some awesome bike riders! I think if I were 10-15 years younger I would be doing some of these stunts. The big tricks we knew of around the neighborhood was a 360, riding on the handle bars, endos, riding backwards, and a couple other lame tricks off of a ramp. We had nothing like this back in my day. It's nice to see how the sport has progressed.
JEBSi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #3387 (permalink)

Ron
After returning home from 25 miles yesterday I decided to weigh my '10 Cannondale SuperSix3 fully loaded and was shocked. It's 16 pounds empty and with two full 23oz bottles, 4 gel packs, 1 energy bar, and saddle pack (spare tube, 2 levers, 2 CO2 cartriges, cartridge adaptor, PSI gauge, wallet, iPhone), it weighed 21 pounds. I never bothered to weigh it fully loaded before, guess I'll have to go tubless with lighter wheels for next season!

Last edited by High Revs Si; 10-19-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #3388 (permalink)

Ron
"I scratched the lever, which is a shame. And I chipped the fork, that's not too bad."

Old 10-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #3389 (permalink)

Fall Tour of St. George 2012 Report

Great weather made for lots of riders (over 300 for the 100 miler) and fast times. It was my second fastest century (by less than 2 minutes), and had 2000' more climbing than my fastest. It was my first real event since having back surgery exactly a year ago Thursday.
I was with the lead group (7 riders) until the last real hill at mile 91. An attack by one of the guys (who's won the event more than once, including last year), blew the pack to bits and I ended up coming in with 2 other guys (behind the lead 3 that had regrouped). The other two guys gave up the chase once we were a couple miles from the finish (they wanted placing), I just wanted time, so I hammered the last couple miles. They both handed me my arse in the sprint. I was 6th. A great ride on some of the nicest, most scenic roads in southern Utah!
Here's my ride data.
Rowdy Sluggins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #3390 (permalink)

Ron
Congrats man, especially after recovering from that surgery, how'd your back feel at the finish?

I know what that's like after getting my knee worked on, I'm still working towards competing in a Century hopefully sometime next season. The climb on the first quarter must've been a nice warm up for ya, and the way down at mid point was probably fun drafting in high gear. That elevation is nuts, I'm not used to nearly 5,000 feet, I would've been gasping for air and seeing spots at that thin altitude. haha I climb plenty of mountains including steep/narrow Cat 1's, but the highest peaks in NJ are only about 1,800 feet. The last two short walls you had to scale within the final 10 miles must've been rough especially when you're trying to keep up with a few nutbars powering up them.

What year/make/model/weight bike did you use?

And front/rear gearing?

Any mods?

Finally, what bibs and saddle do you find to be most comfortable for that distance?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Sluggins View Post
Great weather made for lots of riders (over 300 for the 100 miler) and fast times. It was my second fastest century (by less than 2 minutes), and had 2000' more climbing than my fastest. It was my first real event since having back surgery exactly a year ago Thursday.
I was with the lead group (7 riders) until the last real hill at mile 91. An attack by one of the guys (who's won the event more than once, including last year), blew the pack to bits and I ended up coming in with 2 other guys (behind the lead 3 that had regrouped). The other two guys gave up the chase once we were a couple miles from the finish (they wanted placing), I just wanted time, so I hammered the last couple miles. They both handed me my arse in the sprint. I was 6th. A great ride on some of the nicest, most scenic roads in southern Utah!
Here's my ride data.

Last edited by High Revs Si; 10-23-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #3391 (permalink)

Quote:
Congrats man, especially after recovering from that surgery, how'd your back feel at the finish?
Thanks Man! I've been riding since a couple days after the surgery, but I'm just now starting to feel okay doing really intense efforts. I had to change my riding position a little (slighty lower, more forward seat, pelvis tilted forward, flat back, no pulling on the bars), but it's paid off. My back had no pain at all. One of the side effects of my back problem (ruptured L3-L4 and L4-L5), was loss of strength in my left leg. That took a LONG TIME to come close to what it was, and I still don't think it's full strength (but I'm not complaining)!

Quote:
I know what that's like after getting my knee worked on, I'm still working towards competing in a Century hopefully sometime next season. The climb on the first quarter must've been a nice warm up for ya, and the way down at mid point was probably fun drafting in high gear. That elevation is nuts, I'm not used to nearly 5,000 feet, I would've been gasping for air and seeing spots at that thin altitude. haha I climb plenty of mountains including steep/narrow Cat 1's, but the highest peaks in NJ are only about 1,800 feet. The last two short walls you had to scale within the final 10 miles must've been rough especially when you're trying to keep up with a few nutbars powering up them.
You pretty much nailed that! I knew the first climb would separate the men from the boys, and it did. I was in the first 7 to hit the top, but 5 more reeled us in on the descent (it had some good steep turns in it, so it wasn't exactly balls out). After another 50 miles and a few more steep climbs and we were back down to 7 again, until that final steep one, that, if I had cared enough to think about it, was the perfect launch point for the final attacks.

Quote:
What year/make/model/weight bike did you use?
I used my 2008 Scott Addict R2 14.5 Lbs (with the alu wheels I used. 13.9 when I put on the carbons).

Quote:
And front/rear gearing?
I used a 53x39 F and 12x25 R. It's what I have on all my wheels, and it seems versatile enough for almost anything I do. I'd need something more if I did any of the extended > 20% stuff.

Quote:
Any mods?
It came with all DA 7900. I've swapped out the BB to a ceramic, TRP 960 brakes, Ritchey Superlogic Evo UD bars, and Ritchey WCS 4 Axis Wet Black stem, Speedplay X-1 pedals.

Quote:
Finally, what bibs and saddle do you find to be most comfortable for that distance?
I'm not a big fan of bibs because I overheat a little too easy, and shorts don't bother me. On long rides I always use a little DZ's Nuts or Chamois Butter. I was riding our team shorts from Champ-Sys with the standard chamois, and had no problem. My saddle is a Fizik Aliante carbon rail (very slight nose up position), but as you probably know, saddles are such an individual thing.
I sure hope your knee recovers enough to do that century next year. They are a blast (especially after the fact).
Rowdy Sluggins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #3392 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Brett
Epic night ride tonight.
Br3TT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #3393 (permalink)
Broke Baller

Pogi
Nice!
Old 11-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #3394 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Brett
had to test out my new light last night
Old 11-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #3395 (permalink)
Broke Baller

Pogi
I need to buy new lights... What kind did you get?
Old 11-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #3396 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Brett
baja designs stryker 2, its on sale right now for $224 and its 925 lumens!

Strykr II
Old 11-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #3397 (permalink)
Broke Baller

Pogi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Br3TT View Post
baja designs stryker 2, its on sale right now for $224 and its 925 lumens!

Strykr II
I've been wanting those lights for the longest time They are local to me.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #3398 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Brett
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgFA View Post
I've been wanting those lights for the longest time They are local to me.
best light i have ever had hands down! you have no excuse not to get one since they are local also make sure you get the upraded handle bar mount that is made out of aluminium
Old 11-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #3399 (permalink)
Broke Baller

Pogi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Br3TT View Post
best light i have ever had hands down! you have no excuse not to get one since they are local also make sure you get the upraded handle bar mount that is made out of aluminium
I had a niterider HID but I lost the helmet mount for it. Those lights worked really good. I'll probably invest on a stryker next year
Old 12-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #3400 (permalink)
Broke Baller

Pogi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.