Top Tier Gas: What's your opinion? - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Welcome > Garage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2006, 05:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Top Tier Gas: What's your opinion?

A few of the largest of the major Oil/Gasoline companies have switched to Top Tier Gas... but many of the major retailers still don't have Top Tier Gas, such as Amoco, BP, Citgo, HESS, Marathon, Sheetz, Speedway, Sunoco, Pilot, Texaco.

Its hard for me to believe that if 4 of the biggest auto makers reccomend it, that more companies wouldn't be offering.

I'm just wondering do you really think anything would happen to your engine in the long run if you filled up with an Amoco, BP or Citgo or Sunoco everyday? Nascar uses Sunoco after all.

Also, Texaco is now owned by Cheveron which is Top Tier. BP bought Amoco and then BP was bought by Exxon/Mobil which is Top Tier... so does this mean Amoco, BP and Texaco carry Top Tier Gas? And if they do why are they not listed as such on the The Top Tier Gas website?
http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Why would a company offer Top Tier at certain stations and not others? I just wonder if this is all marketing and how much its really doing for your car
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2006, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mike
yes! shell is where i fill up 9 times out of 10 and its top tier
m1k3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2006, 11:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apalone
A few of the largest of the major Oil/Gasoline companies have switched to Top Tier Gas... but many of the major retailers still don't have Top Tier Gas, such as Amoco, BP, Citgo, HESS, Marathon, Sheetz, Speedway, Sunoco, Pilot, Texaco.

Its hard for me to believe that if 4 of the biggest auto makers reccomend it, that more companies wouldn't be offering.

I'm just wondering do you really think anything would happen to your engine in the long run if you filled up with an Amoco, BP or Citgo or Sunoco everyday? Nascar uses Sunoco after all.

Also, Texaco is now owned by Cheveron which is Top Tier. BP bought Amoco and then BP was bought by Exxon/Mobil which is Top Tier... so does this mean Amoco, BP and Texaco carry Top Tier Gas? And if they do why are they not listed as such on the The Top Tier Gas website?
http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Why would a company offer Top Tier at certain stations and not others? I just wonder if this is all marketing and how much its really doing for your car
Yeah but NASCAR is still using leaded gas so it's not same
ShaggySi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2006, 11:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

the premium without* ethenol,,is good ****,,,texaco I think..maby alot of places have it and im stupid..but I get it at texaco and ...maby im crazy but..no ethenol...and your cool..I can tell....or im bi-polar...one or the other.

Billy B
princecaspian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2006, 11:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Forgot to mention ,,,Im running premium no ethenol,,in an 06 si.
Billy B
princecaspian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2006, 11:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

So what are the added benefits of usoing Top Tier gasoline? Also how do you know whether or not ethenol is in the gas?
ballplaya4237 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2006, 11:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
VIP Member

J. M. back by popular demand!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballplaya4237
So what are the added benefits of usoing Top Tier gasoline? Also how do you know whether or not ethenol is in the gas?
It will say on the pump if the gas contains ethanol. I could be wrong, but I believe in Cali gas must contain a percentage of ethanol.

Personally, I have never seen any benefit from using "top-tier" gas...I just buy whatever is cheapest (91 octane as thats the best we have around here)
Old 08-06-2006, 08:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

The EPA apparently has requirements for the amount of detergent used in all fuels in the U.S. So, all gas in U.S. meets these minimum requirements; However, 4 auto manufacturers (Honda, Toyota, GM and BMW) decided that the minimum requirements didn't do enough to keep engines running clean. They developed a new standard. This standard called "Top Tier Gas" is supposed to exceed the EPA requirements and do more to keep your engine running clean.

Here is the image that shell stations have on their V-Power brand (A Top Tier Gas):

The intake value on the left is apparently from a car using discount gas and the one on the right is a car using Shell V-Power... That looks pretty bad! It supposed to be after only 5000 miles, I can't believe there is that much of a difference... Where was this discount gas from, a still in the woods?

I found another article here, where the guy quotes from an engineer for BMW.
http://tedserbinski.com/2006/06/17/top_tier_gasoline
apalone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2006, 09:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Pillar of Objectivity

Name: Mike
I prefer using Shell V-Power, just to be safe. I have to use premium, I may as well use a brand that supposedly is higher quality.

The vehicle that was tested on, I believe, was a Chevy Impala, if it matters, just thought someone might like to know that.

Unfortunately, for another few weeks, I have no access to anything but Holiday, BP, and Citgo, sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firmhonda View Post
Ringpop has been an extremely helpful member throughout the years and I doubt your joke is half as helpful as his worst post.
Special Ringpop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2006, 09:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Tom Smith
It's just detergent additives that BP and Shell have been adding for a long time. I will stay with BP since I never had a bad tank of gas from them and Shell is just across the street and always at least 12cents higher.
No Thanks.
Gas prices are high enough
Tom1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2006, 03:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

I've been using BP Ultimate the whole time I've had my SI. I've been averaging about 320 miles on a tank. My most recent tank was from Mobil, and it looks like a might be getting a little less than that on this tank, which may be because I've been using the A/C a lot. Actually though, I just read that recent studies show driving with the A/C on at speeds of over 45mph actually is better on gas than having windows down. Anyways, before I went to mobil I tried to use Shell V-power, but oddly enough...both stations in my city were OUT OF IT! And this was for a good week at least...to be honest, they might still be out of it! Another rumor I recently heard was that America may plan on not buying gas from the middle east anymore, because that money goes to funding terrorism. So in result, we'll be paying around 5-6 bucks per gallon.
SIpimpin13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2006, 03:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

Tom Smith
Actually we are buying our gas mostly from Canada where the big refineries are.
Ours are way overworked and out of date. We haven't built any new ones in decades.
And sure we will continue to buy Oil from the guys in the Middle East.
The Saudies and the United Arab Emerites UAE are our buddies and we need to support their GREED for our Dollar.

The biggest news however is the rusty old pipleline in Alaska. Portion of it has to be replaced and that will cut production by about 400,000 Barrel a day. Which will increase the price of a barrel of oil by about 10 bucks a barrel. Now when that happens Gas will be well over 4 bucks a gallon.
Time sell our cars and buy horses. Y2K just took a while to effect us.
Tom1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2006, 07:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

A/Cst.D.F.Abate
Chevron, in Canada, is Top Tier. Wouldn't switch to anything else.

My TBI on my 92 GMC is seriously so clean you can eat off it. Yumm
si_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.