K24Z7 swap in 8th gen - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Bolt-Ons And All-Motor > Engine Swaps, Mounts, Pulleys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

K24Z7 swap in 8th gen

Forgive me if I act like a noob on this thread, I've been a member for a while now, but only have visited the site for viewing and never posting. I am curious though as too how many people are going to think I am an idiot for considering a k24z7 swap for my FA5. Let me first start by giving a little info on my situation. I am a owner of a Redline Orange Pearl 2009 sedan and just recently bought a new 2012 coupe, so I am familiar with both motors. I am also familiar with how the 9th gen is getting getting hated on by a majority of 8th gen owners and I can understand their gripes. As for the way the new motor drives, I am pretty impressed with the performance. To me it seems faster, but I might just be getting fooled by the increase in torque.

Anyways, I am not just wanting to do a swap just for the heck of it, but I have been having issues with a slow crank when starting my FA5 and haven't had any luck with fixing it. I just can't seem to figure out what the problem is. My FG4 starts like a dream compared to it so I was thinking a swap would most likely take care of the problem. Lol! I am always looking for some excuse to do something drastic for some reason.

I have been considering a Frankenstein swap, but I thought since the new si is basically a factory Frankenstein, minus the high revving and the cracking vtec, then that might be a pretty straight forward swap aside from some tuning. So I guess I am just looking for any info or opinions regarding the matter. I have been giving this a lot of thought trying to flush out any issues ahead of time, but just about to purchase a swap anyways and dive in. So here I am posting to see if I can get any more info regarding the matter. Any suggeastions and/or info would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

SO your going to sacrifice your new vehicle and render it un-drive-able so you can have a k24 in your older SI sedan?

I think your better off just getting a k24 bottom end brother. Keep your new Si as a DD, and mod the older one.
higher being is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

No, I was going to but another swap and hopefully recoup some of my money back by parting out my Z3.
Jskashani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jskashani View Post
No, I was going to but another swap and hopefully recoup some of my money back by parting out my Z3.
I dont think it would work due to the integrated header on the newer SI's, it probably wouldn't fit.
higher being is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would think that wouuld be one of the easier hurdles. Just requires some welding skills, of which I have none, but I have friends that do. I am more worried about the fittment of axles and motor mounts which I am hopeing is pretty straight forward as it is still a K24, but not sure about this one as I know that some parts are not interchangeable, ie. Z3 heads and such.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Jason Lee
Put the K20 head on the K24 block then you will be able to pick from different types of headers.
cambodianricer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Putting a K20 head on a K24 block is definitely an option, but I like the fact that the Z7 has it all done for you already, from Honda and I don't have to worry about all the little nuances that come along with building one. I am not too concerned with the integrated exhaust manifold as most the HP gains come from getting rid of the cat which is one thing that I am not too interested in anyways due to runability issues (CEL's). I was thinking that Flashpro, a good tune and intake and exhaust will be enough for me. Maybe later adding some sort of forced induction.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Jason Lee
No, the problem is that the integrated exhaust manifold might not clear the FA5's firewall. This is a common problem with K24 swaps. You would have to get a header made for the k24 swap (or a S2 Megapower header)
cambodianricer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

That is something I was not familiar with and I appreciate the info. I will definitely have to do more research on this.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
VIP Member

Even with a S2 header you will still have to grind/beat some of the firewall.

IMO you would be better off leaving the 9th gen alone and buying a bare k24a4/a2/a8 block and building it from there
tiZZle2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
VIP Member

This thread has some good info

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/engin...light=k24+swap
Old 12-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Ri
Also....the K24Z7 isn't close to a factory Frankenstein swap.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
InkPncl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

My k20/k24 engine is for sale, and it will work perfectly with your 8thgencivic. Very easy hook up
brado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
VIP Member

I knew that was coming
Old 12-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Binks

Darwin
Yeah, I wouldn't mess with the Z7 engine only because of the integrated header.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

Robert
Makes no sense to me. Leave the 9th alone as a DD.. and build the 8th to your liking. Best of both worlds.
HeelsandEers is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

Name: Albert
Just get a k20/k24 swap and you'll get everything you want plus more. (Way more torque than 9th, way more hp than 9th, higher revving than 9th)
My5tiC4L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #18 (permalink)

xrs54 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #19 (permalink)

I am not sure if some of you guys are thinking that I am wanting to pull the motor from my 9th to put in my 8th, but that is not the case. I am planning on leaving my 2012 alone and buying another k24z7 motor for the 8th. Although, I'd be interested in knowing more about the k20/k24 motor that you have for sale brado. Also wondering why the z7 is not close to a Frankenstein swap. Sounds to me that that is pretty much exactly what it is, except for reving to 8000 rpm's and not having vtec on the exhaust side. Well, it sounds like maybe I should stick with the Frankenstein swap, but I didn't want to build a motor as I can purchase a complete swap for $2500 including the tranny. I wouldn't have to buy rods/pistons, gasket set, head studs, mounts or any little miscellaneous items that I might be missing. Sounds like I would have to get FlashPro either way so tuning isn't the issue. Either way, I appreciate all the feedback.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jskashani View Post
I am not sure if some of you guys are thinking that I am wanting to pull the motor from my 9th to put in my 8th, but that is not the case. I am planning on leaving my 2012 alone and buying another k24z7 motor for the 8th. Although, I'd be interested in knowing more about the k20/k24 motor that you have for sale brado. Also wondering why the z7 is not close to a Frankenstein swap. Sounds to me that that is pretty much exactly what it is, except for reving to 8000 rpm's and not having vtec on the exhaust side. Well, it sounds like maybe I should stick with the Frankenstein swap, but I didn't want to build a motor as I can purchase a complete swap for $2500 including the tranny. I wouldn't have to buy rods/pistons, gasket set, head studs, mounts or any little miscellaneous items that I might be missing. Sounds like I would have to get FlashPro either way so tuning isn't the issue. Either way, I appreciate all the feedback.
Doesn't seem like anyone has done this before, you might be the first to and people will start following your footsteps! Keep us posted on your decision and start a build thread IF you decide to go with this route.
dohcfa5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.