R18 Automatic Transmission Fluid Change (ATF DIY) - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Honda Civic Do It Yourself Articles > DIY Honda Civic Transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 03:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

DT
R18 Automatic Transmission Fluid Change (ATF DIY)

Hey 8th, I did a transmission fluid change today... and I decided to take some photos to help out others who might still have some doubts about doing it themselves. This was my first time doing it and I highly doubt one can make a mistake. The other thread was missing photos, so here you go! Hope you like it.

Tools Required:
  • 3/8 Ratchet
  • Rubber Mallet (or something that may help you remove the drain bolt)
  • Jack Stands (or ramps)
  • 2.5 qts of ATF DW-1
  • Rubber Gloves
  • Rag
  • Oil Catch Pan
  • Crush Washer
  • Long Funnel

Note: I used a rubber mallet to help break loose the drain bolt. I didn't have an oil pan, so I used a container (not recommended). I also re-used my washer.

Step 1: Gather Tools.

Here is an example of the things you will need.

Step 2: Be sure to locate the dip stick before anything, and to make sure your Funnel can reach that hole (I had to remove my K&N heat shield).

Step 3: Jack up the car, or drive it onto the Ramps. Make sure you are as safe as possible before proceeding.

Step 4: With your Ratchet and Oil Pan, go under your vehicle and look for the bolt.

Step 5: Remove the bolt. This may require a breaker tool or anything else that may help you out.

Step 6: While the fluid drains, be sure to inspect the Drain bolt and Washer for any damages that may indicate the need for replacement.

Step 7: When the draining is less than dripping, wipe it up and screw the bolt back on (don't forget about the washer). Make sure nothing leaks through.

Step 8: Insert the long funnel into the hole where the dip stick was, and begin to slowly pour the fluid into the funnel.

Note: I poured about more than 2.5 qts of fluid, and also measured the old fluid just to make sure it's about the same.

I had two full bottles of the used fluid. This photo shows the remaining third bottle that I filled with the remaining of the used fluid. I poured about two and a little more than a half of new fluid to replace this.

Step 9: Remove the funnel and replace the dip stick. Do some driving, forwards and backwards. Return back to your station to double check the fluid levels.

Step 10: Clean up

Note: Remember that this is the process you will go through about every 30,000 miles. There is a filter, but it isn't necessary to replace. It is also known that to do a full transmission service, you will have to do this process four times to completely flush the transmission system.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Artem
Nicely put together DIY

I'm using Amsoil synthetic auto tranny fluid in my R18 and change every 60k miles. Fluid still comes out looking good afterward. (130,000 miles on my 07 Coupe and i'm about to change the fluid for the 3rd time (doing 2x drain n fills)

The Amsoil synthetic fluid really helps the tranny to shift EVEN smoother then it did when new. I love it.

Can't go wrong with the Honda juice either though.
bro2snakeaterblk08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

DT
Thanks ! how much would a bottle of amsoil cost?
xteabaggz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 12:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bro2snakeaterblk08 View Post
Nicely put together DIY

I'm using Amsoil synthetic auto tranny fluid in my R18 and change every 60k miles. Fluid still comes out looking good afterward. (130,000 miles on my 07 Coupe and i'm about to change the fluid for the 3rd time (doing 2x drain n fills)

The Amsoil synthetic fluid really helps the tranny to shift EVEN smoother then it did when new. I love it.

Can't go wrong with the Honda juice either though.
Yeah, I've been using Amsoil, it's still in the car now, but my next fluid would be Honda's new fluid.
av911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 03:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

DT
some updates on info...

My mileage was: 34,000~ ish when i did this change and the fluid was dark, but there wasn't many of metal shavings.

the car seemed less jerky when it was shifting, feels more smoother in general.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

#1 Frank Lopez
Very Nice Mr. Daniel I wish you would do other DIY . Some of these DIY need to be update. It's nice to have great looking photos and Really great detailed step by step. Thumbs up sir !
FrankTheRobot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Very detailed DIY. Props.
CheenoFly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

Artem
Quote:
Originally Posted by xteabaggz View Post
Thanks ! how much would a bottle of amsoil cost?
I got some on sale in the FS section @ $10.50 a quart.
bro2snakeaterblk08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

#1 Frank Lopez
I also used amsoil on my transmission fluid swap :thumbs:
Old 02-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

DT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheRobot View Post
Very Nice Mr. Daniel I wish you would do other DIY . Some of these DIY need to be update. It's nice to have great looking photos and Really great detailed step by step. Thumbs up sir !
thanks frank, and thanks everyone, i probably will, theres a lot of diys that i want to make thats on my mind right now
Old 02-07-2012, 02:20 AM   #11 (permalink)

#1 Frank Lopez
Do it
Old 02-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks for such a great DIY and excellent photos. I've got two questions though...

1)Why do it so frequently at every 30K miles? My maintenance minder for replacing the transmission fluid just came on at 70k...
2)When would a "full transmission service" need to be done? Is that what the maintenance minder is asking for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xteabaggz View Post
Hey 8th, I did a transmission fluid change today... and I decided to take some photos to help out others who might still have some doubts about doing it themselves. This was my first time doing it and I highly doubt one can make a mistake. The other thread was missing photos, so here you go! Hope you like it.
Note: Remember that this is the process you will go through about every 30,000 miles. There is a filter, but it isn't necessary to replace. It is also known that to do a full transmission service, you will have to do this process four times to completely flush the transmission system.

Hope this helps!
rufftackle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

DT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufftackle View Post
Thanks for such a great DIY and excellent photos. I've got two questions though...

1)Why do it so frequently at every 30K miles? My maintenance minder for replacing the transmission fluid just came on at 70k...
2)When would a "full transmission service" need to be done? Is that what the maintenance minder is asking for?
No problem man!

Well as for the 30,000 miles thing, I went in at that time to do an engine oil change and the dealer suggested that I do a transmission oil change as well, at every 30,000 miles. I guess it maintains the transmission much better than waiting until the maintenance minder tells you to do so.

I think as long as you continue to do a change every 30,000 miles, then it shouldn't be necessary to flush out the whole system. Some say that when cars get older, like 100,000+, if you havent done frequent changes, and then you suddenly do a full service, it could cause more damage to the transmission.

The maintenance minder's designed to tell you the appropriate times to service your vehicle according to your driving habits, to maximize efficiency and save money, to not waste oils, etc. Normally it is recommended that you follow the maintenance minder unless you're very picky about when you want to change your fluids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDusanMandic View Post
I just got off the phone with my dealer here in Orange Park, FL and the guy at the service department said Honda just released a service bulletin stating to not do a full transmission flush. He stated the bulletin states to only do a drain and fill every 30,000 miles.

He's saying there's a part of the bulletin that states a full transmission flush can cause damage to the torque converter.

quoted from the old r18 transmission change thread
Old 02-21-2012, 02:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

Nice DIY, my 08 has 60k and I've never had the fluid changed bc I didn't know how, I will do this ASAP
622marco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

Greg
sub'd
hOlykamOtie* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #16 (permalink)

R18 Crew Member 812
Is this only for automatic tranny? cause i cant seem to find that dipstick on my 2011 R18 manual.. or im just blind
R182011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 07:32 PM   #17 (permalink)

i also want to change the oil, should i also change the filter ?
MemZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012, 04:07 AM   #18 (permalink)

DT
the transmission filter is completely up to you, I doubt it needs replacement because I heard its just a giant magnet, but i could be wrong.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:08 AM   #19 (permalink)

DT
Quote:
Originally Posted by R182011 View Post
Is this only for automatic tranny? cause i cant seem to find that dipstick on my 2011 R18 manual.. or im just blind
yeah this is only for automatic transmission. for the manual transmissions, there is a different process
Old 03-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #20 (permalink)

what's the part number for that "Crush Washer"?
survONE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.