DIY: 2nd GEAR GRIND FIX!!!!- Clutch Adjust - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Honda Civic Do It Yourself Articles > DIY Honda Civic Transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Alex
Exclamation DIY: 2nd GEAR GRIND FIX!!!!- Clutch Adjust

For more information on why this works, read this thread!

2nd Gear Grind Theory- PLEASE READ!

Hello everyone. I want to thank everyone who participated in the discussion I started about the clutch drag. It seems to me that it is the absolute cause of the high rpm grinding we are experiencing.

This DIY should solve all your gear-grinding woes; it did for me

The write up was rather hard to take pictures of because the space was so cramped.

So I know this was highly anticipated and I can't wait to hear others results!

Tools needed: 12mm Box End Wrench
About 10 Minutes

MODS PLEASE MAKE THIS A STICKY!

Let's start by putting a clean towel down on your floor mat. Your going to be putting your head here. I also suggest putting the seat all the way back, and tilting the steering wheel all the way up.

Now go under your steering column and look for the little knob that you rotate to remove the plastic cover. Turn it 90 degrees.

Go ahead and pull this cover off, it will make everything easier to get at.

Now time to lay down and check out the view we have. Look for the rod at the top of the clutch pedal. This is what we're going to adjust.

Now at the base of this rod, where it meets the clutch pedal, there is a lock nut to keep it from loosening. We need to loosen this lock nut. Proceed to crack this nut loose with your 12mm. It is a little tricky to get the wrench in there, but give it a few minutes

Now this next part is REALLY easy, so don't over think it. You're going to turn the rod CLOCKWISE until you can't turn it anymore. All you need to use is your fingers. Push on your clutch a little to feel how your adjustment is going. You want it to start feeling firmer. I couldn't get a good picture but you need to use both hands; one of the left side and one on the right side of the rod. Just rotate outward until it doesn't go anymore. It's that simple!

Once the rod is fully adjusted outward, go ahead and snug the lock-nut the same way you loosened it.

Replace the plastic cover and you're done!

What this did was increase the travel of the rod, pushing on the Master Cylinder more; and therefore getting the clutch out a little more!

The clutch will feel very different after the adjustment but you will get used to it. It is VERY important to remember to never rest your foot on the clutch, now especially, because it is more sensitive to short travel now.

Guys, when you go out and test this, remember: warm up your transmission before shifting at high rpm! Drive for at least 10 minutes if it's for the first time of the day. I noticed a night and day difference with the tranny being warm compared to when it's cold.

Here is a video I put together. I went from never being able to access 2nd at 6K+, to this! I hope you all have the same results and PLEASE share with the rest of us!

YouTube - Civic Si- Proper Shifting

************************************************** **************************************************
Positive results:

1. AK47 Performance
2. Futurepr3
3. Vantage
4. bumi
5. bigmsi
6. ryoga28
7. guywitthesi
8. the 8k rev
9. Haz Mat
10. Galaxy Grey Si Coupe
11. sisean
12. JDM_DOHC_SiR

Last edited by AK47 Performance; 03-29-2010 at 01:52 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 03:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Alex
video?
Ricerocket13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Chance McDurgin
in for more results for others
AXIS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Gnehp Gnoix
Will it help me not grind if I am powershifting???? Anyways, I would sometime adjust it needed after a clutch install...
bouncer07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 04:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

thx ak! im gonna get this done tomorrow and i will most definately post results. plus i will be adding a new intake and fp tomorrow as well =) im psyched!!!
bumi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Joo Know Me
intresting, in for some more reviews,
BioHazard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 04:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Sle

Sam
Im about to go try this., in for more reviews though.
Sle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 04:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Mitch
How does it feel different? Softer, harder, different catch point? I'd like to give this a shot. I ground the other night with this chick in my car and felt like a 8=o
tccosi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 04:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by tccosi View Post
How does it feel different? Softer, harder, different catch point? I'd like to give this a shot. I ground the other night with this chick in my car and felt like a 8=o
The engagement point is later, and it feels firmer all the way through. I felt like crap every time I used to grind, haha!
AK47 Performance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumi View Post
thx ak! im gonna get this done tomorrow and i will most definately post results. plus i will be adding a new intake and fp tomorrow as well =) im psyched!!!
Oh man your going to love flashpro and your ability to shift!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncer07 View Post
Will it help me not grind if I am powershifting???? Anyways, I would sometime adjust it needed after a clutch install...
I would not suggest power-shifting. Even though I do it, I'm just saying...
Old 03-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

=/ just ran outside and did this, took her for a spin around the block and it definitely feels better. however, i grinded shifting into second on the way home soooo maybe i messed up?
billyjacoby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 05:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

Mike
Can't wait to try this out this weekend. I think if this doesn't work on its own, then adding boomba mounts and changing my tranny fluid which hasn't been changed in ages, should all equal to no grinding I'm hoping.

Great DIY
sickskillz14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 05:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

Scott
Hmmm, interesting. We'll see how if feels and if it is effective! Thanks for the write up!
Old 03-26-2010, 05:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

i shouldve probably asked this on the previous thread but while everyone is on this one....how exactly does the clutch adjust iteself? i mean if it has the ability to adjust itself through hydrolics then there must be some kind of electrical connection tied to it no? (i have a feeling im gonna get flamed hard) lol
bumi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 07:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjacoby View Post
=/ just ran outside and did this, took her for a spin around the block and it definitely feels better. however, i grinded shifting into second on the way home soooo maybe i messed up?
Make sure you have the clutch all the way down before you shift. I know this sounds elementary but I noticed it's easy to get excited when your trans actually starts shifting well. When you get excited you tend to try shifting before the clutch is all the way in. If you said it feels better then it sounds like you did the steps correctly.

Another thing I noticed is since my trans is already butchered from all my previous grinds, it's really necessary to warm the transmission up before you start shifting hard. Mine shifts like butter once it's hot.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #16 (permalink)

Kickin' ass, takin' names...
quick question, I noticed in the pic where you said you turn the rod counter-clockwise, the red arrow is actually going "clockwise", just wondering which one it is...thanks!
the 8k rev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #17 (permalink)

Adam
i'm going to have to try this tomorrow if it's not raining here again.... nice write-up

btw i like in the video how you roll past a honda dealership lol

Last edited by drivelikeyoustoleit; 03-26-2010 at 10:25 PM.
drivelikeyoustoleit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 10:28 PM   #18 (permalink)

Mike
man i wish i could regain traction in first gear at WOT lol. if you fully adjust the clutch then what happens when the clutch self adjusts and you have no more play ?

does the rod go back down on its own or something?
vtecmike1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2010, 04:02 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 8k rev View Post
quick question, I noticed in the pic where you said you turn the rod counter-clockwise, the red arrow is actually going "clockwise", just wondering which one it is...thanks!
The arrow is pointing the right way if you look at where it's screwing out of. Imagine you're looking down on the rod... It is spinning counter clockwise out of the clutch bracket.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:08 AM   #20 (permalink)

Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 Performance View Post
The arrow is pointing the right way if you look at where it's screwing out of. Imagine you're looking down on the rod... It is spinning counter clockwise out of the clutch bracket.
Um, wow...that's confusing. I understand what your saying...glad the arrow was there. Cuz I woulda turned it the other way. Now, I understand.
Advertisement

Tags
2nd gear fix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.