8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

super brighter-er led licence plate light

16K views 54 replies 28 participants last post by  510_Civic SI 
#1 · (Edited)
got board sitting at home and you guys talking about the licence plate lights go me sering...

i went to my 10mm led bin and got some white, they are 200k(ish)mcd led's

LED!

i dont feel like typing alot... so here is some pics that are self explanitoyry...

i wanted to use the butt to mount the LED's to but i forgot that solder doest stick to the stuff that the terminals are made of. even with acid... :(

so i sanded them down to get them the spread instead of focusing into a beam...

then with the tip rough i cant use that, so i polished it... and the best by hand method is with "BLUE MAJIC!" this stuff is the SHIZNIT! fot metal plastic and as a rough clear polish too... i use it for everything...

i dont feel like getting too stactacular so this is polished with 320g sand paper then compound...

since there isnt much room i got "creative" with the resistors.

Now where did i put that shrink tube??? hmmmmzz...???

There it is.

dont want anything arcing..

Yay it worked!!!!

Stock and led...

one only

me like the trail...

now the rear matches the led's in the headlights...

See less See more
#5 ·
ah, yea, while you buy things i make things... i like to make everything. i dont like buying permade products...

If they shipped me a crate that said HONDA INSIDE and have me a 10mm 12mm 17mm and a 18mm wrench with a little booket of how to put it together i would be the happest guy ever!... get what im driving at?

the LED's are $.10 each and i really dont have another practical use for them.

#7 ·
these are quite blue, i used a 330O resistor... should have been less but going with this makes it dimmer but blue-er... i think it takes a 220... but i have 1000 330's and i likes the output... it makes it last londer too...

#11 ·
those are ebay lights... the kind with the projector in the middle and the 3 led's on either side.

thanks guys, cand carputer is stalled...

#15 · (Edited)
im not woried, i dont break the law alot... im gonna do what sam adrian and pretty much everyone else with the leds did...

Get a led visor then all you get is glare :D

also adrian what ever happened to your magnetic turn signal project?

#14 ·
:D inly took laike a hour and for a DIY thats not bad....

buy what i wanted to do is take off the housing. that trim ring that goes around the licence plate and take out the doams that the light fits into. that way i couls drill and epoxy in 3-4 leds and point them more onto the floor.... :D

But after messing with it for a good long time and realizing that the snaps where going to get up i gave up and just did this....

#18 · (Edited)
the led's are like marker lights... anyting over 5w is considered a headlights according to ontario law. each of those leds are 1/4 watt there for not headlights, they do illuminate the road, more street signs then anything... with stock bulbs as i drove by trucks the trailers would glow blueish... now with the hid's its not noticable...

those are not the primary healights, just accent lights. and yes they are legal... here are some pics from my photobucket.

like this...

and light output...

the glair on the wall is from the chrome housing not a bad cut off... the cutoff is good.

there is no blinding glare to on comming traffic and there is no glare to pp, infront of me... those two blotches on the wall go over the car infront of me, unless its a pickup truck... then he is getting blinded HAHAHA PAYBACK's a BEOTCH...

Adrian, i remember you where talking about those at the meet 3 months ago and nothing yet?, can we get some pictures...??? you know i like DIY.

#19 ·
Adrian, i remember you where talking about those at the meet 3 months ago and nothing yet?, can we get some pictures...??? you know i like DIY.
Umm, No. Not every project is open source.

This is a personal project, not sharing because there is a patent involved.

Until it's gone through, no pics, nada. Sorry.

Some of us do have a career that is more than 40hrs a week, I need not prove anything, especially to you. So be patient. I understand your impatience. Some things aren't for sharing.

#20 · (Edited)
o_O right... didnt know you where patenting it. and whats "especially to you" suppost mean?, common i didnt mean anything. im just looking foward to seeing them... in due time, not done is not done no biggie. i like new ideas and new products....

also i work a 50-60hour work week 5 10's + ot and some weekends ;)

#28 ·
I actually have couple questions.

1. where did you get the LEDs?
2. So after you realized you cant soder to those bulbs, what did you do?
3. i just need a little more clarification on how you put it into the bulb socket. im decent with wiring, but never done anything like that.
4. and waht resistor did you use with led?

thx
matt

#29 ·
I actually have couple questions.

1. where did you get the LEDs?
Ebay, from this dude, the best Ebayer EVER!, i get all my stuff within a week, Mention my name and you get better service. :D
http://myworld.ebay.ca/lvehk/
and then search his store for 10mm white, anything 140,000mcd and over is really bright.

2. So after you realized you cant soder to those bulbs, what did you do?
I simply removed the bulb and soldered to the terminals that the bulb attatches to. there by making sure that a bumb will never go in there again... You could also coil a wire around a thin piece of plastic, like from some pakagin and plug that in there.

3. i just need a little more clarification on how you put it into the bulb socket. im decent with wiring, but never done anything like that.

All i did was wire up the two bulbs together and shove the +ve into one side and -ve into the other side of the socket where the bulb goes. but first i tested to see what dide was what on the car because LED's are Directional.

4. and waht resistor did you use with led?
I used a 330Ohm But it really should have beed more like a 100-220ohm. Oh well... they ended up being a bit dimmer then if i had used the correct one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.