8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Clearing Headlights in 2007 Sedan (Hybrid)

19K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  white_tiger13 
#1 ·
DIY: Clearing Headlights in 8th Generation Civic Sedan
I did this in my Hybrid, but it should be pretty much the same, if not exactly the same for all other sedans.
---------------------------------------
Disclaimer: Do this at your own risk. I will not claim responsibility for any damage caused. Please be extremely careful, as this mod involves removing large car parts and extreme heat.
--------------------------------------
Step One: Remove the bumper
Note:
-It is recommended to have an assistant, but one person can do it.
-Take care not to scratch the bumper, body, and lights.
- Put on gloves to protect your hands.
1.remove the Front Grille Cover

2. Remove the bolts (A), screws (B), and clips (C & D) from the bumper.

3. PUll on the front bumper (A) at the wheel arch areas to release it from the hooks on the side spacers.

4. (you may need an assistant for this part). White pulling the wheel arch portion away from the side spacer (A), pull the front bumper to release the bumper from the hooks (B) on the corner upper beam (C).

5. Carefully set the bumper on something soft, like towels so it doesn't scratch.
6. Preheat your oven to 275F.
Step Two: Remove the headlights (HINT: ALL BOLTS CONNECTING THE HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY ARE UNPAINTED)
1. Remove all of the bolts pictured, except bolt C.

2. Pull out the headlight assembly, in a forward and inward (towards center of car) motion.

3. Disconnect the power connectors and light bulbs from the headlight assembly.
4. Remove Bolt C and the Corner upper beam (the L-shaped metal piece, labeled D)
Step Three: Baking the light
1. Remove the rubber fixtures from around the bulb connectors.
2. Remove any other rubber pieces (They shouldn't melt, but they can fall off and get lost in the oven)
3. Place the headlight assembly in the oven at 275F for 7-10 minutes. I found 8-9 minutes was sufficient, but 7 was not long enough.
4. When the timer goes off, remove the headlight assembly (CAREFULL IT'S HOT!)
Step Four: Clearing the Light
1. Using a screwdriver or similar tool, pry open the headlight assembly.

2. Remove the two screws that are holding the turn signal housing in place, and remove the housing.

3. Remove the plastic cover, and the orange relector.

4. Replace the plastic cover, and screw the turn signal housing back into the headlight assembly.
5. Put the headlight assembly back in the oven for 7-10 minutes at 275F.
6. When the headlight is ready, use pliers (and a cloth so you don't scratch your lights) to squeeze the housing back together. In a few minutes the adhesive will harden and they will be good to go.
7. Repeat for second headlight.
Step Four: Putting it all back together
1. Everything goes back in the reverse order of installation. It's pretty self-explainatory.

BEFORE PICS:

AFTER PICS:

As you can see above, the signals are still plenty orange without the reflectors.

It will look better once I have the chrome signal lamps (size 1157).

^A little out of focus, sorry.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.