8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

DIY: LED install on interior lights, trunk, and license plate (23 pix)

285K views 723 replies 359 participants last post by  FlashFa5 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I got some LEDs the other day and installed them. I took pix in case anyone wants to know how. I know there are already a couple of threads about this. I typed this up for another forum and decided it couldn't hurt to post it here. I was able to use an expired license plate, so you can see the before/after shots w/o the numbers being blocked out. I think that helps a little.

---------------
DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE THAT MAY OCCUR!!
---------------
These are the LEDs I got:
3 Festoon Dome 31mm High Power LED (Xenon White) Bulb [for the interior lights]

2 T10 W5W Flank High Power LED (White) Wedge Bulbs [for the license plate]
(note how they are angled, so the LED points directly down at the plate)

1 168 194 Wide Angle 12 LED (Xenon White) Wedge Bulb [for the trunk light]

Replacing the front interior lights is a fairly simple thing to do. Simply use a screwdriver (coated in duct tape, so you don't scratch your car) to pry off the plastic coverings.

From there, simply remove the old bulb and throw in the new one.

(old LED in place)

(new LED in place)
Before:
(oops. i forgot to take a before picture. I think you know what it looks like though)
After:

Comparison:

(note the gardener on the far right :D)

Same process with the rear dome light:
before:

after:

To do the license plate, you need to remove the trunk lid covering. There are four clips that you can get off with a phillips-head screwdriver.
Once you remove those, it will look like this:

Remove the wires from the light, by pressing the two side clamps.
Remove the housing from the car, by pressing the other two side clamps.

Old Vs New Light:

Simply pull the old bulb out of the housing and put the new one in.
Here are some comparisons:

and of course the final product:

The trunk light was probably the hardest, because I encountered a few unexpected errors.
The trunk light is fairly simple to remove, but I have heard of a lot of people breaking it so be careful!!! I took a flathead screwdriver and pried it out from the right (passenger) side. After that, you can disconnect the wire and take the whole housing out of the trunk.

The first problem was that the new bulb didn't fit. The bulb housing is specific to the little incandescent bulb. It was no problem though. I simply took some pliers and adjusted the thin-metal housing. (and by adjusting I mean broke off the pieces that center the little bulb). For you visual learners, here's an after pic:

And here is the 9 LED bulb in the housing:

The second issue I had was that once installed, the light didn't shine straight down. It shined in all directions. It was so bright, that light was coming up where my center brake light is. To solve this, I took some aluminum foil and made a reflector. Not only did it stop the extra light from shining through, it also made the trunk brighter.
before:

after (no foil):

after (with foil):

This was a cheap and simple mod. I would recommend it.

See less See more
#4 ·
I found them.....

Would this work better for the trunk?? It comes with 24 or 36 LED's.
Or would that be too bright?

T10-PCB-Wxx White LED Lamp
12VDC Wedge Base (9mm 194/168 size) with 1-1/2 inch square circuit board
With 24 or 36 Super White LEDs
Designed for overhead lighting in boats, campers, box trucks, etc.
Wide 100 degree beam pattern

#5 ·
Not sure. I was going to get something like that, but I decided just to go for a regular bulb (which didn't turn out really great). I don't think it can be too bright :D. If I were you, I would take measurements and make sure if it would fit inside the little plastic light case in the trunk. If it fits, I would try it.

BTW: I got them off eBay

#8 ·
#16 ·
UPDATE: One of my License plate LEDs went out the other day. A few days later, it came back on. Today it was working and it turned back off. I took a closer look and the light is a dud. It flickers, and is not nearly as bright as the others. I am going to see if he will give me a replacement. Also, I am working on getting LEDs for the brake lights, side markers, turn signals, and backup lights.

#18 · (Edited)
I am finally doing the rest of my bulbs. Here is what I will be buying:
Front Parking Light/ Front Turn Signal: 1157A
Rear Turn Signal: 7440
Tail Light: 168
Stop Light: 7443
Back up Light: 7440
Rear sidemarker: 194

Total:
2X 1157A
4X 7440
2X 168
2X 7443
2X 194
-------------------------
By the way, the guy who I bought the defective LED from is going to send me a replacement at no charge.
Also, he does not stock 1175A (amber).

#21 ·
I recently installed some more LEDs, so I am doing an update to my DIY.
These are the lights I replaced:
Rear Sidemarkers
Taillights
Taillights/Brake Lights
Backup lights

For the tail lights that are on the trunk lid, you will need to remove the trunk lid cover. (Same way as done above for the license plate lights)

Next, you will need to twist the light out of the socket and disconnect the bulb from the socket.

old bulb:

Place the new LED in and screw the socket back in.
New LED:

Do the same on the other side and put the cover back on, then your done with the trunk lid taillights!

For the rest of the lights, you may need to remove the side trunk covering. For demonstration purposes I have it removed. It makes things easier, but is not necessary. There are four plastic screws that you can remove with a flathead screwdriver and one that you need to pry out. (May vary on non-hybrid).

Once you have the cover off, your light socket should look like this:

Remove take note of which light bulbs go in which socket and remove them, or remove them one at a time.

Simply remove the incandescent bulbs and insert the LED bulbs as you did previously.

Here is a comparison: Left half LEDs, right stock lights:

(the LEDs look lower, because of the angle they reflect at. They are MUCH brighter at night when you are using them)

BE SURE TO CHECK ALL OF YOUR LIGHTS BEFORE DRIVING. YOU ARE DOING THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK AND I ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR DAMAGE TO YOU OR YOUR CAR AS A RESULT OF THIS!!!

#130 ·
hey bro i read your DIY and i found it awesome, i was about to order my dome light n licence plate lights today, but i decided to order your whole setup at the same time, so far i have this
if u dont get the pic its basically just my order for dome light and licence plate lights. but i need the exact code for your setup, rear sidemarker, back up light, tail lights, stop lights anything you changed to led i would really apreciatte it bro ;)
by the way my car is a sedan DX-G model so i only have 1 dome light. i dunno if the rest changes too ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.