8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Smokin' Sexy Head Lights. [ DIY Guide] (PiX)

69K views 172 replies 123 participants last post by  nex06 
#1 · (Edited)
Just finished it, looks awsome just like I picutred it to be. The pics are without the front grill. I hate that thing, cant wait to get it painted black too. But it looks good, I will have some better pics tomorrow in the day light.

Its really easy if you want it done.

Step 1: Buy the spray tint, either from ebay or your local tunning shop.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8057832432&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Step 2: Get garbage bags, blue painting tape, knife, paper towels, rubbing alchy just incase.. I didnt want to take out the lights, so I didnt have to spend time adjusting it later.

Step 3: Open your hood Cut one of the bags so its a big thing of plastic. Tape it over your light and hood fender area.

Step 4: Cute out the shape of your tail lights then use the blue tape to tape the plastic bag to the car, clean the lights well.

Step 5: Shake the can and spray from a foot away. One coat, nice and easy all over the lense. If you do it too much it will run and it looks ugly. (My right one ran so I had to redo it twice. Have rubbing alchy and paper towls ready just dump alchy on the paper and rub away, it will come off.)

Take your time, I did about 3 coats, I think it could use 2 more but we will see. Reall though take your time with it, do one light coat wait 10 min to dry then do another.

Step 6: Carefully take everything off and enjoy.

Will update tomorrow with some better pics, so far what do you think. Its the first Nighthawk that I have seen with the smoked head lights, I think it looks awsome and works fine at night. What do you think?:eek:hnoes: :thumb:

See less See more
#2 ·
hondadriver said:
why would you decrease the quality of your headlights?
I have high hopes that cops will pull me over and ticket me and if I am really lucky someone wont see me, we will crash and the other dude will die I will be left paralyzed. :party:

There is a diffrent way to post that question. You are asking how is it at night? Well it doesnt make a noticable diffrence. It really doesnt, 3 coats is so light, its changes the look, but doesnt change the effectiveness of the headlights.

#4 ·
boostedg35 said:
or you can just buy film instead of painting them.. photo shoot tomorrow from me
I bought film for my tail lights, those are on the way. I cant wait to get that done too, but the reason I got the spray for the front was because I have seen film done on the front and it just doenst come out right because of the shape of the tail lights. Take a look at your head lights one day they have this weird hump on them and film looks like isht on the front. Plus you cant control how dark it is and if you mess up you cant just use alchy and redo, you have to spend another 30 40+ while the can cost $10, and looks better then the film.

Guys come on I do thorough research on anything and everything before I do anything and everything on my baby.

#7 ·
martinez_josh said:
Don't forget to put clear coat on there. .. .from what I read, it will just come off when you wash it if you dont' clear coat.
Yeah I was wondering about that, but my guess that the special formula wll keep it there.

My cuz had his 95 teggy rear lights sprayed. Thats where I got the idea, I dont think he did anything else but just spray them and its been fine for years, he lives in Seattle it rains alot there, but the spray hasnt faided. I should ask him about it thought.:driving:

#8 ·
Tikolx333 said:
I have high hopes that cops will pull me over and ticket me and if I am really lucky someone wont see me, we will crash and the other dude will die I will be left paralyzed. :party:

There is a diffrent way to post that question. You are asking how is it at night? Well it doesnt make a noticable diffrence. It really doesnt, 3 coats is so light, its changes the look, but doesnt change the effectiveness of the headlights.
I don't care what you think about the look. Obviously you didn't get a decent grade in science class or take physics for that matter. When you put a tint on the headlights you are decreasing the amount of visible light that is being transmitted through the lenses. Might look good but still decreases the effectiveness. Stupid mod.

#9 ·
hondadriver said:
I agree. It isn't safe, and even if the decrease in light isn't noticable, if you ever got in an car accident your insurance company may not even honour your policy if they saw this.
Thanx for trying to save my life Iam so happy to know that people actually care about me and are not just trying to sound smart online. So for the special people here are more pics. :driving: :thumb: :popcorn:

:popcorn:

:eek:hnoes:

:driving:

MORE PIX AT MY CARDOMAIN

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2325821/1

#11 ·
martinez_josh said:
Looks pretty good IMO, but would be nicer if they were shiny.

Well a clear coat would do that. What my cousin told me is that after about 6 coats it gets shiny, but I cant do that to the front he did that on his tail lights. Maybe I get a spray on clear coat to protect and shine, although I like that fact that I can just erase them when I want so I dont know. But it does look good. Cant wait to do the back. Will post.

#13 ·
Tikolx333 said:
Thanx for trying to save my life Iam so happy to know that people actually care about me and are not just trying to sound smart online. So for the special people here are more pics. :driving: :thumb: :popcorn: QUOTE]

Well... it sounds like you don't care at all about what other people would say, but I'll just say it, hoping that you would take some consideration for yourself and others on the road.

We say it because, mainly, it's your safety as you wouldn't be able to see $hit at night time. I mean halogen alone provide poor vision at night and you just made it worse. You limited your light source which is the only source to see the road during nighttime driving. How much did you limit yourself? Imagine your headlights before you did it and compare it to now. You see it much darker right? The % your headlights look darker, you put your light output the same way so don't say what you did does hurt your headlight effectiveness.

A simple example for you to try. Go put on your favorite sunglesses, shades or whatever you call it and drive around after sunset. Does it make difference? Yes! Did you just put the same thing on your headlights, not your eyes alone? Yes!

I mean I just hope you would listen, but if you don't, well... It's your car. I do beg you not to put HIDs (which creates glares for other drivers) or raise your headlight aim just because you can't see $hit. You put that thing on your car, then you should take care of it by yourself, NOT disturbing other drivers on the road. Oh, and please don't hit my car or anyone else's because you couldn't see anything.

Honestly, I don't really care about anything else. But I just don't want people blinding me for poor headlights aiming or aftermarket HIDs they installed, just because they like the "look". Please consider other motorists on the road as well as you are sharing with them. If you don't put HIDs or mess up with your headlights aiming AND not hitting any cars on the road, go ahead. It looks good.

#14 ·
Well, with the Lamin-X film, Smoked tint will allow 83% light output and Charcoal will give you 70%. But whereas the painting, there's no evidence that can be proven for percentage of output let alone the difference in layers of coating. I myself, will be doing a "stupid" mod like this to my car. Just only the Lamin-X way. And as far as the OEM headlight quality, there's no problem for me. It's actually better than some other car names.

So, I'm guessing I will be the first with an all black Si on the forum...

#15 ·
joonoo said:
Tikolx333 said:
Thanx for trying to save my life Iam so happy to know that people actually care about me and are not just trying to sound smart online. So for the special people here are more pics. :driving: :thumb: :popcorn: QUOTE]

Well... it sounds like you don't care at all about what other people would say, but I'll just say it, hoping that you would take some consideration for yourself and others on the road.

We say it because, mainly, it's your safety as you wouldn't be able to see $hit at night time. I mean halogen alone provide poor vision at night and you just made it worse. You limited your light source which is the only source to see the road during nighttime driving. How much did you limit yourself? Imagine your headlights before you did it and compare it to now. You see it much darker right? The % your headlights look darker, you put your light output the same way so don't say what you did does hurt your headlight effectiveness.

A simple example for you to try. Go put on your favorite sunglesses, shades or whatever you call it and drive around after sunset. Does it make difference? Yes! Did you just put the same thing on your headlights, not your eyes alone? Yes!

I mean I just hope you would listen, but if you don't, well... It's your car. I do beg you not to put HIDs (which creates glares for other drivers) or raise your headlight aim just because you can't see $hit. You put that thing on your car, then you should take care of it by yourself, NOT disturbing other drivers on the road. Oh, and please don't hit my car or anyone else's because you couldn't see anything.

Honestly, I don't really care about anything else. But I just don't want people blinding me for poor headlights aiming or aftermarket HIDs they installed, just because they like the "look". Please consider other motorists on the road as well as you are sharing with them. If you don't put HIDs or mess up with your headlights aiming AND not hitting any cars on the road, go ahead. It looks good.
Why are you trying to convince me of something I dont care about. And where did u get that I have HID's?:party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

#108 ·
joonoo said:
Why are you trying to convince me of something I dont care about. And where did u get that I have HID's?:party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:
LOL i couldnt agree with you more
HID headlights and fogs FTW :dance:

#16 ·
k20z3Vo said:
Well, with the Lamin-X film, Smoked tint will allow 83% light output and Charcoal will give you 70%. But whereas the painting, there's no evidence that can be proven for percentage of output let alone the difference in layers of coating. I myself, will be doing a "stupid" mod like this to my car. Just only the Lamin-X way. And as far as the OEM headlight quality, there's no problem for me. It's actually better than some other car names.

So, I'm guessing I will be the first with an all black Si on the forum...

Post pics when you get it. Although I have already seen a coupe with smoked head and tail lights on myspace. :popcorn: :driving:

#19 ·
So what is the general consensus on how it looks? I dont care about safety and all that other bull people are trying to prove to me.

I was just wondering how you think it looks. Because I like it, I think it completes the car once I get the back ones done too, and take care of the chrom grill.

#135 ·
obviously you do since you can not take criticism at all. future reference, if you do not want or can not handle receiving negative feedback, don't post at all.

as for the lights, looks like crap and you deserve every ticket you will receive that is if you do not crash due to lack of light at night first.

#23 ·
nice i want to do this but CLEAR COAT IT

this isnt the tails haha. its the head ligths. rocks. bugs.. large and small rodents may all hit this. and trust me a few layers of clear will make it stay perdy a hell of a lot longer.

im doing my headlights soon. need to buy clear first though.

#24 ·
Paradoxblue said:
nice i want to do this but CLEAR COAT IT

this isnt the tails haha. its the head ligths. rocks. bugs.. large and small rodents may all hit this. and trust me a few layers of clear will make it stay perdy a hell of a lot longer.

im doing my headlights soon. need to buy clear first though.
Looks lousy. Take that stuff off you ruined the front of the car.:thumb:

and pray you don't paralise some poor kid or person permanantly when you don't see them crossing the road. You'll be paying that out of your pocket the REST OF YOUR LIFE. So while they can't work anymore you'll be working to pay the HARM and MISERY you've caused just cause you thought it looked cool. What are we 10!

#26 ·
myinca said:
well their body sliding across the front of your car will probly take off the tint so u wonthave to worry much about them yelling foul play...anyway i think it looks awsome..post up when u do your taillights
Well I was thinking of clear coating it but my girl said she likes it the way it is and her word is gold. Here are more pics.

My civic coming down from heaven.

His and hers, but mine is better. :driving: :party: :banana-wa :D

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2325821/1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.