8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

DIY: DRL's on with low beams

134K views 395 replies 151 participants last post by  Waxi 
#1 · (Edited)
ok everyone well i got a few requests on how to do this so i decided to post up a DIY. im running 5000k HID's and also yellow luminics bulbs for the high beams.

finished product

Materials:
electrical wire(not sure how much...but enough)
crimpers/wire cutters
male and female connectors
fuse
1.2 ohm resistor
switch

heres a crappy wiring diagram

pretty much how it goes is: battery>switch>fuse>resistor>high beams

1. run wire from the positive terminal of your battery through the firewall to the switch.
2. ground the switch (theres a grounding point underneath the steering wheel, just pop off the cover under there) and run wire back out of the firewall to your fuse.
3. youre going to need a 7.5 fuse like this

4. from the fuse, run wire to your 1.2 ohm resistor. i got this from o'reillys.

5. then from the resistor run 2 seperate wires to each of the high beam connectors. splice them into the white wires.

i mounted my switch here under the steering wheel

and that should be it. turn on your low beams then flip the switch.:thumb:

WARNING: the resistor does get very hot very fast but its perfectly ok as long as no wires are touching it...and you dont touch it either

See less See more
G
#12 ·
EntropyXIII said:
actually i dont think if tried this before. i remember doing something that blew the fuse but im not sure what it was. im going to have to try this tomorrow and ill let you guys know
Thanks, just so someone doesnt do this and end up damaging something. If if does end badly, just add a disclaimer to your OP.

#17 ·
ok everyone just went out in the garage to turn on the brights and nothing happened. the brights came on fine, no fuses blew, and when i flipped off the brights the DRL's stayed on with the low beams. so its all good to go. post up some pics in here all of yall who do it so we can get a good thread out of this:popcorn:

#19 ·
^^yes im sure you could splice the wires into your foglight switch. im not sure how to do it because i dont have fogs but if you look on the back of the switch theres most likely a way to do it...and also everyone i added a warning to the bottom of my first post so check it out. and for the lazy people V

WARNING: the resistor does get very hot very fast but its perfectly ok as long as no wires are touching it...and you dont touch it either

#22 · (Edited)
I looked around for the prices at Auto Zone and O'rellys

Materials:
crimpers/wire cutters - already have
male and female connectors - $3 a box
fuse - $3 a box
switch - $4 for a nice discrete looking one
1.2 Ohm resister - I couldn't find, they told me to go to Radio Shack, which I was too tired to go.

Just one question though
electrical wire - What gage am I suppose to use?

I really wanted to do it last night, but then I started thinking about all the poking and prodding and fishing I gotta do to run the wires around... I kinda gave up, haha.

*edit.. oops, i meant 1.2 ohm resister

#23 ·
^ i think i used 12 gauge but im not sure. pretty much just get the same size wire that the high beams use and youll be good. also, dont go to radioshack. all they have are little dink resistors that will crack themselves apart. if you go to oriellys again and tell them you need a resistor to knock down voltage from the battery and tell them to look in their big catalog they have it should be in there. they told me first that they didnt have them then i went in again and told a different person what i needed and they gave me this one. it didnt crack apart like the radioshack one did and its just alot beefier....also its a 1.2 ohm resistor 1.5 might make the lights too dim

#26 · (Edited)
LOL... i read "yall" and I was thinking, man, you gotta be from Texas.

So I just noticed you're from Katy... I'm from Sugar Land, haha. I try not to say "yall" too much, haha.

Oh, and I asked this before: How would I wire it so I can have DRL at full power (high beam). I know I can do this by turning on the lights then highbeam, but I wanna try highbeam without lowbeam.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.