8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

DIY Ebay Fogs (mostly wiring)

5K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  ej6sliver 
#1 · (Edited)
New here, but as I was looking for a DIY for the ebay (generic) fog light set-up, I found myself going through 3 or 4 different DIY's to get all the information I needed. I figured as far as the actual install is concerned, it's pretty straight forward. The wiring is where people get lost (or did on the other DIY)

I'm going to keep this pretty general so it can work with pretty much any kit you choose for the car, and focus more on the general. Mounting points are up to you.

Switch needs
- ground
- hot wire (12V)
- remote wire, or switched on hot wire (this can be pluged into an "ignition on" or a bulb. I chose to spice it into hot wire on the running lights. This is going to tell you when the fog lights come on. This is where most people are running into problems.)

What plugs into the switch

And where it all goes.

There are two options for the brown plug (this ends up being your remote wire). On cars with fog lights, this plug is hot. It wasn't on mine even with a fuse (#6 inside), so I went through the driver's side fender. Basically look up toward the fender side of the drivers side foot well, there is a plastic plug that when you pull it goes striaght into the fender. Since I had already run the remote wire in the car, I just spliced it into the brown plug wire. The plug did not need to be plugged in, I just left it. If you want it to look more OEM, you can run the remote wire to the other end of the brown plug on the passenger side by the washer fluid tank, and just splice in there and choose your desire "on" switch ("ignition on" or "switched on") to put the other side in to. The plug will then be hot on the other end and you can just plug it in.

Yellow wire ran to the relay (hot for the fog light switch), and I just found a misc bolt to ground the switch to. Inside of the car is done.

Now comes the remote wire. Couple options here. If you want the lights to be able to come on at any time, you can run them to a 12V constant (battery), or an "ignition on" wire (cigarette lighter is one example). Problem with running it to the battery is that they will even stay on when the car is off and if you forget it, it'll drain the battery. "Ignition on" will have them turn off when the car is turned off.

I chose the running lighs so I can keep the switch on all the time and have them just come when I turn the running lights on (even with the ignition off). IMHO it looks pretty sick running just the running lights and fogs on, and the car dings when the lights are left on, so it'll remind me.

Fog lights themselves are pretty simple. They just need a hot and a ground. Plug the thick red wire from the relay straight to the battery and the ground onto the closest bolt.

Do a quick check before you zip-tie and button everything up

And mount fogs

Trouble shooting: (My fog lights won't turn on)
(1) Check fuses. #6 inside if you used the brown plug as intended like OEM, and also check the inline fuse from the relay to the battery
(2) Check remote wire. Make sure that it's plugged in (sounds stupid, but it's an easy mistake) and second make sure it's plugged into something that comes or is on when you are checking
(3) Check grounds
(4) Make sure your hot wire is plugged into the battery.

Please ask questions. I'll try to add as much as need to make this DIY complete. If you need pictures of anything else I did, let me know. I'll add them ASAP

See less See more
#2 ·
Bump back from the dead.

I have everything plugged into the car, and nothing comes on.
I first thought it was my HID so I plugged my light bulb that came with the fogs.
Nothing.

I recheck everything inside my car, fog light button works, grounded nicely. The brown plug was connected for sure (even thought it's pretty loose, easy to come in and out).
I went with the route to add-a-circuit, with brand new mini fuses.

I plugged everything in, and I used the same grounding location beside the washer tank, I plugged everything correctly and still nothing.

I'm running out of ideas.

Please help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.